Anyone get a 2021 Taycan auto-recognized when using an Electrify America charging station?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
i got this to work. Need to enable it in PCM. Charging -> options (3 dots) -> Activate Plug and Charge

The features in that video are really useful features. Seems all just SW. I really hope this will be implemented for the update for 2020 models. If that is not included then I think Porsche has lost the plot.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The features in that video are really useful features. Seems all just SW. I really hope this will be implemented for the update for 2020 models. If that is not included then I think Porsche has lost the plot.
lost the plot? while the 2020's may lack this ability the new cars do have it.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Hmmm ... my Irish spec MY2021 doesn't appear to have that option.

Porsche Taycan Anyone get a 2021 Taycan auto-recognized when using an Electrify America charging station? IMG_0082

Lambofire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
While the dealer suggested that it would auto recognize it has not been the case. Took a long haul trip (600+ miles) and not once did Electrify America work as advertised. I had to call the number listed pin the charging station to have them force the charge, and other times I just paid out of frustration because it kept failing. The individual at Electrify America shared that they were having problems addressing this and were working with Porsche to solve. I have only leveraged my garage charging station and kept to local driving as the experience was terrible and not confidence inspiring.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
While the dealer suggested that it would auto recognize it has not been the case. Took a long haul trip (600+ miles) and not once did Electrify America work as advertised. I had to call the number listed pin the charging station to have them force the charge, and other times I just paid out of frustration because it kept failing. The individual at Electrify America shared that they were having problems addressing this and were working with Porsche to solve. I have only leveraged my garage charging station and kept to local driving as the experience was terrible and not confidence inspiring.
Do you have the porsche charging app installed? did you login and set you account up? do you have a credit card on file connected to the car on the my porsche page? if yes to both did you open the app and input what charger you were connected to? you need to do all these things to get a charge session going. it isn't explained well by porsche or most dealerships.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
have you set from the charging option?
I have a Taycan 4s 2021 and plug and play does not work>I have tried this three times .What does work is charging using the Porsche Charging service app

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a Taycan 4s 2021 and plug and play does not work>I have tried this three times .What does work is charging using the Porsche Charging service app
from what I have learned is that you have to communicate via that app which charging unit you want to use, once that is complete then the car charges, I don't know if the plug and play eliminates that step.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
it’s pointless if it doesn’t.
that could be but using the app isn't really all that big of a deal for me. as long as the EA chargers are fully operational I'm a happy camper.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
that could be but using the app isn't really all that big of a deal for me. as long as the EA chargers are fully operational I'm a happy camper.
It is not a big deal, IF have your phone with you, AND there is cellular coverage by your network provider at that charging station.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It is not a big deal, IF have your phone with you, AND there is cellular coverage by your network provider at that charging station.
most people always carry their phone and only in the most remote places, especially in the US, is cell service an issue wherever an EA charger is located.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
cell service an issue wherever an EA charger is located.
yes - for example there is really really crappy cell coverage at the EA chargers on Blossom Hill in San Jose, Ca - really hard to get a good enough data connection to use the app…

I’ve actually found EA locations have a surprising ability to be located in Urban areas wtih crappy coverage - the EA station set to open in Watsonville, CA - again crappy coverage…

EA Station in Monterery/Carmel - crappy data coverage on the day I was there - had to call (with my cell phone) EA to activate the session…

Plug & Charge simply needs to work, it needs to work well - there is no excuse - Tesla’s had their supercharger’s work this way for at least 8 years now…

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Hmmm ... my Irish spec MY2021 doesn't appear to have that option.

IMG_0082.jpeg
Did you activate Porsche Taycan Charging service? I wonder if this is enabled in US only otherwise.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
I have had both experiences. In Columbus the car and the charger talked for a minute and the free session started automatically. In Cincinnati it never worked and had to use the app. So hit and miss for now.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Did you activate Porsche Taycan Charging service? I wonder if this is enabled in US only otherwise.
I do have the charging service active – even have the physical RFID card they give out in Europe. Maybe I have to charge at a supported (Ionity) charger first – not able to do that due to local COVID restrictions yet.
Sponsored