Anyone get a 2021 Taycan auto-recognized when using an Electrify America charging station?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this has not been my experience - I’ve done back to back sessions with no issues - but not recently (in the past 30 days) - maybe new policy?

but I’ve only activated sessions via the two apps - porsche connect & charge america

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
ok, I just took delivery and went to the local EA charger and no bueno the car was not recognized. my porshe mobile connect is not set up properly, would that have an impact on the EA unit and the car doing it's handshake?

OP
OP
Mr. 2021 Taycan

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
ok, I just took delivery and went to the local EA charger and no bueno the car was not recognized. my porshe mobile connect is not set up properly, would that have an impact on the EA unit and the car doing it's handshake?
You need to have registered the car in your My Porsche account, have turned on Porsche Charging Service, and have a credit card on file. Once this is done, per the Porsche representative I spoke with, EA chargers should automatically recognize a 2021 Taycan.

One more detail: There are Privacy Settings in the car's PCM UI. It may also be that Privacy needs to be "inactive" for the charging service in the car's PCM settings in addition to the above account setup.

It would be nice if Porsche would document details like this.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
One more detail: There are Privacy Settings in the car's PCM UI. It may also be that Privacy needs to be "inactive" for the charging service in the car's PCM settings in addition to the above account setup.
Works for me in privacy mode.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Works for me in privacy mode.
My guess is, for cars without Plug & Charge, EA wants the location of your car to see if it’s in the geofence of the charger for anti-fraud. For cars with Plug & Charge that’s not necessary so privacy mode can be left on.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I remember that once I got my car I had to create a charging subscription and add my credit card in order to get access to free charging. The cc is needed to charge you if you are charging longer than 30 mins. After I finished this step, it took about 10 hours for my account to be able to log into the Connect app.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
I plugged in my 2021 Taycan into a 350kw Electrify American charging station and.... nada.... charging failed. No automatic connection.

I call EA and a very nice lady authorized a free session. The good news is that the charging was indeed "fast," providing over 100 miles in less than 15 minutes.

The bad news is that the automatic "plug in and charge" feature promoted for 2021 models failed.

I called Porsche NA and another nice lady confirmed my "My Porsche" account was set up correctly for charging (you need to have a credit card on file). She also confirmed problems with the back end network connections with Electrify America charging stations.

Has anyone experienced the automatic "plug in and charge" feature working?

I have multiple issues with charging at EA facilities. Problems include:
--Connect doesn't connect
--Charging NA app doesn't connect
--Nobody answers phone on Porsche service
--EA chargers that advertise 350 KW will only go to 75KW, or on a good day 150KW

My workarounds:
--close out completely of Connect app before getting to EA site. Then re-open it.
--Use Charging NA app when Porsche Connect doesn't work
--switch chargers
--don't be afraid of going to 150KW chargers instead of 350. Sometimes they work better
--get on first-name basis with EA customer service, which is pretty good. Actually, I am already on a first name basis with a couple of them in Michigan.
--check on PlugShare and see if there are reported problems with EA chargers. Whatever is reported, multiply by 5.

... and if all else fails:
--go to a Chevrolet dealer late at night and use their 25KW charger. Try to thank them, maybe by buying a truck.

PLA

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Did not work for me. I’m in WA. Tried 3 separate EA locations (Olympia, Bothell, Everett) and no bueno on all. Charged instead via Porsche Connect app.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I remember that once I got my car I had to create a charging subscription and add my credit card in order to get access to free charging. The cc is needed to charge you if you are charging longer than 30 mins. After I finished this step, it took about 10 hours for my account to be able to log into the Connect app.
how and where do you set up the charging subscription?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
how and where do you set up the charging subscription?
- Click it, follow the instructions. Once you subscribe the you should should see the second screenshot.
- The service is free but you need to add a credit card which is charged if you exceed the 30min free charging limit.
- Check the Chargin NA app next day. I remember it took several hours after I completed this step, until I would log in into Charging Na app and use the free charging.

ps. My salesperson was very useful, he set up my Connect account (with a password that I changed later), he connected the car to the account and he sent me detailed instructions for how to register to this plan to get the free 30 mins DC charging and what mobile apps to use. For anyone planning to buy a Taycan, I strongly recommend having your sales person do this setup so you can enjoy your new Taycan right away.

Porsche Taycan Anyone get a 2021 Taycan auto-recognized when using an Electrify America charging station? Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.17.16 AM

Porsche Taycan Anyone get a 2021 Taycan auto-recognized when using an Electrify America charging station? Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.17.51 AM

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, I got it to work but it isn't as easy as using a tesla supercharger was. you need to open your porsche charge app. and input your location and charge unit number to start the session.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Did not work for me. I’m in WA. Tried 3 separate EA locations (Olympia, Bothell, Everett) and no bueno on all. Charged instead via Porsche Connect app.
i got this to work. Need to enable it in PCM. Charging -> options (3 dots) -> Activate Plug and Charge