Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
The part number for the roof bars in the configurator is 9J0860159 OK1. Even though this option can still be included when building a Taycan CT, it no longer seems to be available at Tequipment and some of the Porsche Dealer parts websites. It is still available at Suncoast Porsche. Maybe Porsche recognizes that there are issues with the roof bars.

Monkeymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, e-Golf, Austin Mini, +
Country flag
The Thule website in the USA (www.thule.com/en-us) does not include roof bars for the Taycan CT. I just took delivery of my car on 13-Nov and I noticed that the roof rails have two sets of locating holes on the inner side of the rails. The holes are about 6mm in diameter and about 40mm apart. The front and rear sets are about 800mm apart (about 32"). The photos posted by Swissbob do not appear to include these locating holes. If the rail design has been changed to include these holes I can imagine a new type of chassis specific cross bar that does not clamp around the rail and can simply be expanded between the rails on either side of the roof.

Don't be confused by the reflection of the rail and the ceiling of my garage on the glass roof of the car.

Locating_holes_in_roof_rail.png
The holes are there on my Taycans rails - the roof bars locate into them before clamping down on the otside edge of the roof rails.

The CT OEM bars DO index into those holes on the inside of the rails, but the outer bracket that clamps down has a lot of positional tolerance so it can cause dings in multiple spots in that area on the outer rail when tightened down.

Last edited:

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
The CT OEM bars DO index into those holes on the inside of the rails, but the outer bracket that clamps down has a lot of positional tolerance so it can cause dings in multiple spots in that area on the outer rail when tightened down.
So are you saying that everyone who uses the Porsche branded roof bars is likely to damage the outer surface of the rails?

Monkeymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So are you saying that everyone who uses the Porsche branded roof bars is likely to damage the outer surface of the rails?
Not sure if it will happen to everyone, but it's probably very likely with this design.

This is what I believe the issue is. First of all, the outer clamps on the bars have barely any coating on the metal so it's a pretty hard part contacting the rail. They are meant to tighten inwards, perpendicular to the cross bar as they should with the tightening bolt in the middle. The CT roof rails taper in towards the center of the car as they run back, which means the front corner edge of that bracket will hit the rail first when tightening and most of the clamping force will be applied to that one spot. The corner digs into the aluminum and causes the grooves. It also causes damage on the bracket coating, as you can see in Swissbob's photo reference.

The bracket actually has a slight twist to it to prevent the above from happening, but I don't think it's enough of an angle to so the front edge of it still contacts the rail first. My plan was to wrap several loops of electrical tape around the bracket in that area to create a buffer and see how that holds up but it will eventually fail and will need replacement.

The outer bracket either needs a redesign or a rubber sleeve to fit around it to prevent the hard point contact from happening.

Monkeymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other day I noticed that my driver side roof rail has more than a couple of nicks- there is actually a ding in the rail about an inch long with the nicks in the center of it. I didn’t go beyond the torque setting on the tool that comes with the set. All of this happened from a single test fit, then i removed them a few hours later.

I’m really hesitant to put my OEM cross bars on again…

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
I’m supposed to pick up my bars tomorrow now I’m afraid to damage the rails

Monkeymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m supposed to pick up my bars tomorrow now I’m afraid to damage the rails
Perhaps you can check with your dealer if they have experienced this before or if they know of a better way to install that may prevent this?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
I ordered from Sun coast as I need them asap for ski season. Will report what I get and thinking to get some rubber to add to the clamps if it looks too metal on metal. Wish the Thule were available in the US! Either way we bought this as our utility wagon so it’s gonna get real world use (like all our Porsches)

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
It’s not ideal that the bars get marked but in the grand scheme of things it’s not worth sweating over. You are the only one that will notice

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I got mine and can’t get them fit into the holes…. I’m giving up and going for Thule bars I think ?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Well I got mine and can’t get them fit into the holes…. I’m giving up and going for Thule bars I think ?
I ordered a Thule set from Spain. Will see if they get here by Friday as DHL is saying. Porsche ones come from DE and out until January.

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered a Thule set from Spain. Will see if they get here by Friday as DHL is saying. Porsche ones come from DE and out until January.
I also ordered mine from Spain. I should get them by the end of the week and will post pictures.
I will bring the OEM ones back to Porsche - I was really suprised by the bad quality - I've owned so many racks over the years and this one (apart from the bar set) is by far the worst.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I also ordered mine from Spain. I should get them by the end of the week and will post pictures.
@Bill4444 and @philbur where did you guys order the Thule Bars from in Spain?

I ordered from Fast Parts Online in Latvia (for USA delivery) but it turned out that they didn’t have the product in stock so unclear when it will arrive.
Sponsored