Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just back from a monster 4000km road trip. Taycan CT4 with roofbox was GREAT! Fast charging at the Ionity chargers worked well and twice as fast as with my old Model X. Range was also significantly better. Just taken off the roof box and bars and the metal clamp on the bars is leaving a compression mark going through the paint on both sides. I noticed it on one side when I initially removed the bars when getting home from collecting the car (and reported it to the dealership as they had mounted the bars). Now I have another set of dents a few mm’s away. Anyone else experienced this?
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 936076A0-8C8C-463C-B127-19482EE5EAA6
Sponsored

schredder13

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz G, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo in week 41
Country flag
A Taycan CT has the rails to mount the bars, how come you don`t mount on these? Nevertheless, whoever mounted should get this fixed…it looks pretty severe if you zoom in.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
A Taycan CT has the rails to mount the bars, how come you don`t mount on these? Nevertheless, whoever mounted should get this fixed…it looks pretty severe if you zoom in.
It is mounted on the rails (no alternative) - so the clamp / foot has caused this damage.

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
It is mounted on the rails (no alternative) - so the clamp / foot has caused this damage.
The clamp surface is not smooth (I can feel the ridge causing the damage on both sides) so not sure if it is a fault with the clamp or the way I’m attaching it? I asked Porsche who tried to blame me until I pointed out it was them that had attached it. They said they’d try and touch it up. But I’ve now put a new set of dents in it on the recent road trip…

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
The clamp surface is not smooth (I can feel the ridge causing the damage on both sides) so not sure if it is a fault with the clamp or the way I’m attaching it?
@Swissbob that is unfortunate.
Can you confirm that you definitively have the OEM Porsche roof bars? My past VW and Porsche (Cayenne) roof bars have had rubber pads over the metal clamps so that there was no metal-on-metal on the outer face of the rails. Do your roof bars have such pads? Perhaps if the dealer installed the bars they somehow misplaced the pads?

Here is a pic of one of the clamps on my Cayenne roof bars, showing lots of rubber padding:
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 5C5DB9D8-E1E4-41B7-AAD0-57815A3E7F7A

Are there any other CT owners who have the OEM roof bars who can confirm if the rail clamps have rubber padding to prevent marring of the rails?

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
@Swissbob that is unfortunate.
Can you confirm that you definitively have the OEM Porsche roof bars? My past VW and Porsche (Cayenne) roof bars have had rubber pads over the metal clamps so that there was no metal-on-metal on the outer face of the rails. Do your roof bars have such pads? Perhaps if the dealer installed the bars they somehow misplaced the pads?

Here is a pic of one of the clamps on my Cayenne roof bars, showing lots of rubber padding:
5C5DB9D8-E1E4-41B7-AAD0-57815A3E7F7A.jpeg

Are there any other CT owners who have the OEM roof bars who can confirm if the rail clamps have rubber padding to prevent marring of the rails?
Yep these are the OEM bars supplied by Porsche. There is no rubber padding at all.

see the notch here which looks like it is causing the problem
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 0AE8EF70-603C-4727-B6BF-D3EF4F06A1F1
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 8C7FFDF5-924F-49AD-88DB-866F5E0A2343

on the front bar where there is no damage, there is no notch
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 93B4C46F-D52F-415B-A2BE-90F36DD189C4

This is the result:
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 94E6C6A9-F1C0-485C-8C47-B8DDE1DBED29
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? BC315938-0E7B-4264-B1EC-91F9DE688779

It’s only going to get worse when I attach them again.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is it possible they forgot to install the rubber pads / protection?

Suggest they replace the roof bars free of charge and check the installation instructions.

The following picture is for the saloon (note protector (F)). The Porsche Good to Know App has a section for the Cross Turismo but its not easy to discern what protectors are provided (if any) - take a look at 'Roof Transport' for more details if not already done so.

Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 1629803145454

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Yep these are the OEM bars supplied by Porsche. There is no rubber padding at all.
see the notch here which looks like it is causing the problem
on the front bar where there is no damage, there is no notch
It’s only going to get worse when I attach them again.
I am surprised at the lack of padding on the clamp. I wonder are the notches a manufacturing defect, or the result of deformation at the point of contact?
Looking at the MY22 manual (the Good To Know app):

Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 7AE1D2B4-FE4F-46EF-8C1F-CAEFB20913D2

… there is a fairly conspicuous image of what looks like an unpadded clamp - so I guess this is the design. Wow.

I do wonder if it is in any way possible to get the installation wrong? For example, there is a front and rear bar - are they close enough in width that they could get accidentally swapped and then the shorter of the two has more lateral clamping force than designed? Also, I note that there are a nuanced sequence of torquing steps that, if not followed, might result in skewed clamping.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think its down to incorrect installation.

These bars are used on various Porsche models with roof rails (Audis, VWs, Skoda's too) and can't believe they'd be engineered to cause damage.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I think its down to incorrect installation.

These bars are used on various Porsche models with roof rails (Audis, VWs, Skoda's too) and can't believe they'd be engineered to cause damage.
@W1NGE I’ve owned two different pairs of VW-family OEM roofbars, and both had rubber padding on all points of contact with the rails. I do suspect installation error, but arguably a good design should prevent that possibility. In any case, by the look of the design, even under perfect installation, the clamp is most likely damaging the underside of the rails. Surprisingly unrefined compared to other models.

If I were to get the OEM roof bars (which was my plan and am now doubting), I would not be gambling on a perfectly executed installation because I won’t find out if my rails are damaged until after I’ve committed to torquing those clamps down. I would look for some kind of padding to add, e.g. some high durometer silicone sheet to wrap the points of contact on the rails, or wait for an aftermarket product from the likes of Thule.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
@W1NGE I’ve owned two different pairs of VW-family OEM roofbars, and both had rubber padding on all points of contact with the rails. I do suspect installation error, but arguably a good design should prevent that possibility. In any case, by the look of the design, even under perfect installation, the clamp is most likely damaging the underside of the rails. Surprisingly unrefined compared to other models.

If I were to get the OEM roof bars (which was my plan and am now doubting), I would not be gambling on a perfectly executed installation because I won’t find out if my rails are damaged until after I’ve committed to torquing those clamps down. I would look for some kind of padding to add, e.g. some high durometer silicone sheet to wrap the points of contact on the rails, or wait for an aftermarket product from the likes of Thule.
I think the Porsche roof bars are made by Thule?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

These are already Thule (I'm pretty certain) but you can't order non-Porsche ones for the Taycan yet. Same story with the stupid rear cycle carrier!

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am surprised at the lack of padding on the clamp. I wonder are the notches a manufacturing defect, or the result of deformation at the point of contact?
Looking at the MY22 manual (the Good To Know app):

7AE1D2B4-FE4F-46EF-8C1F-CAEFB20913D2.jpeg

… there is a fairly conspicuous image of what looks like an unpadded clamp - so I guess this is the design. Wow.

I do wonder if it is in any way possible to get the installation wrong? For example, there is a front and rear bar - are they close enough in width that they could get accidentally swapped and then the shorter of the two has more lateral clamping force than designed? Also, I note that there are a nuanced sequence of torquing steps that, if not followed, might result in skewed clamping.
The lengths are completely different but I think I know what it is now… they need to go on in a specific direction (as the rail gets wider). I didn’t realize this until I just checked underneath and saw it is indicated. In my favour clearly the Porsche tech didn’t know this either as the first dent was caused when they fitted them prior to delivery
Porsche Taycan Anyone got the Porsche roof bars and box? 007BD029-7B9D-4CF6-9B0F-CE6C541B059A

schredder13

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz G, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo in week 41
Country flag
Good to know. Mine should be arriving in Rotkreuz in October, including the bars.
hope you find a solution with your dealer.
Sponsored