Anyone have any feedback on the E-Tron S? Any and all feedback welcome

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm looking for any and all feedback on the E-tron S (the SUV platform).

I still have my 21/22 Model S LR on order, and even though I moved to the Taycan we thought about keeping the S order for the wife to convert over to an EV. After a lot of deliberation, a friend with a brand new X being put into Ubers for upwards of a month now because of a drivetrain failure less than 3k miles into her brand new X, and the shenanigans where my delivery for my S was pushed from September of this year to 'unknown' after the 10k price hike because I was locked in at lower prices, and only getting a date when I updated the exterior color/interior color on my order and losing my pre-price increase lock-in (which solidified my conspiracy theory that customers who ordered early before the price hike were getting shafted on deliveries because of potential company liquidity issues), we're looking at other options.

I'm likely going to let my reservation for the S just go back into inventory and say 'eff it'. We started looking at options and built out a 22 E-tron S in prestige last night and the wife is definitely interested in that as an alternative to the Model S. I'd love to get any positive or negative feedback people may have so we can take that into account.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I don't know about the "S" version. Did not know if they exist till now. I did test drive a regular e-tron back in May and it was really underwhelming from my point of view (Slow, vague steering). It just felt like a plain vanilla SUV. But perhaps the S version will better it.
It was comfortable, quiet and spacious. Sorry I could not offer more.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
My wife is interested in the E-tron S as well, so I will be curious of any info as well.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
My wife had the same comment about the (non-S) e-tron being slow when she test drove it. On paper, it's a 5.7-second 0-60 time, which is plenty quick for a big SUV. From what I've read, it's a tuning issue; the e-tron basically runs in range mode by default, so power delivery is very lackluster until you try to put your foot through the floor. I gather you can also put it in sport mode, but I don't know how to do that (didn't know at the time to try).

I would hope they'd change that in a performance-oriented S trim, but I wouldn't count on it. Presumably range tests are done in whatever the default mode is, which is why the default mode is usually so slow.

OP
OP
iamfrozt

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My wife had the same comment about the (non-S) e-tron being slow when she test drove it. On paper, it's a 5.7-second 0-60 time, which is plenty quick for a big SUV. From what I've read, it's a tuning issue; the e-tron basically runs in range mode by default, so power delivery is very lackluster until you try to put your foot through the floor. I gather you can also put it in sport mode, but I don't know how to do that (didn't know at the time to try).

I would hope they'd change that in a performance-oriented S trim, but I wouldn't count on it. Presumably range tests are done in whatever the default mode is, which is why the default mode is usually so slow.
That's good to know. Wife didn't even want to consider the non-S mode because of 0-60 times. She basically said compared to the tuned turbo suv she has now, and my Taycan, going to a non-S version would feel like too much of a 'chunky baby' :p

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My daughter has a 2020 e-tron SUV (non 'S'). She loves her car. I drive it whenever I visit her and I think its a very nice EV SUV. I have a Tesla model Y (my Taycan hopefully is coming in December) and she has driven the Y when she visits me.

Comparing the e-tron to the Y, the e-tron has a much nicer interior (hers is a fully loaded e-tron with leather, message seats and pretty much every option the car could come with) and the car seems more solidly built than the Y. The cargo space in both cars is about the same (but due to the slope on the back of the Tesla Y, I think the e-tron has a bit more vertical space).

I'm not a speed demon so the 0 to 60 time is not relevant to me. But the times when I was entering the 405 in Los Angeles, the e-tron had plenty of power (depending upon the time of day, you enter into either 20 mile or 80 mile an hour traffic).

I happen to like one-pedal driving in the Y, though my daughter and her husband HATE it (they just can't get used to it). The real life range of the e-tron is about the same as the Y: I get about 200 miles before I get below 10% and need to charge and she also goes about 200 miles before she re-charges. I use an Alexa Auto for my entertainment, while the e-tron has the Audi entertainment system, which she's pretty happy with.

The lane departure warning and lane keep assist in the e-tron seem to work pretty well. It worked fine on the 405. The Tesla Y potentially has a better auto steer function. I say 'potentially' since the Tesla should have over-the-air updates to make auto steer work better over time (though since I got my car December 2020, I think the auto steer has gotten less reliable with over-the-air updates). Auto steer works well on an open highway but not so well when there are other cars or trucks around. I use the Tesla auto steer function a few times a week when I'm on the highway, but the operation on side streets scares me so I don't use it there. Bottom line: lane departure warning (as the e-tron has) should be standard in all cars. The Tesla auto steer potentially can be better than simple lane departure warning, but its not fully baked yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamfrozt

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you so much! As far as passenger space goes, the e-tron is a 5 passenger? I'm trying to convince the ladypants that moving from her current 7-passenger to a 5-passenger won't be that big of a hit, especially since there's only 3 of us, and rarely do the 2 dogs go anywhere. I think other than maybe interior capacity compared to her 2020 Ascent, she's eager to get back into an Audi and move toward an EV.

Can't stress enough how thankful I am for the in depth and thoughtful comparison.

My daughter has a 2020 e-tron SUV (non 'S'). She loves her car. I drive it whenever I visit her and I think its a very nice EV SUV. I have a Tesla model Y (my Taycan hopefully is coming in December) and she has driven the Y when she visits me...

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Thank you so much! As far as passenger space goes, the e-tron is a 5 passenger? I'm trying to convince the ladypants that moving from her current 7-passenger to a 5-passenger won't be that big of a hit, especially since there's only 3 of us, and rarely do the 2 dogs go anywhere.
What is it with some women that insist on the extra seats that will almost never get used? My wife and your wife should meet for drinks.

We just got rid of my wife's Model X with the 6 seat configuration a couple of months back, and this was no joke her biggest concern. I fortunately talked her down from the ledge and convinced her a larger 5 seat SUV is more than enough room. It helped when I called her out about basically never having the rear seats folded up for use.

Contenders for the replacement was an E-tron and a Cayenne E-Hybrid. We both really loved the E-tron from a fit and finish perspective, and it had more than enough space I think landing between a Q5 and Q7 in terms of sizing. I didn't care for the driving experience, it felt soft on the pedal, but my wife loved it and drives pretty conservatively.

Ultimately we chose the Cayenne because we both like the drive, handling, and suspension feel more, and the real kicker was we decided to buy a car that has a bit more road trip flexibility. The Cayenne lets her run as an EV for her day to day, but when we take a run up to the mountains or not have to stop and charge on a road trip, we have that flexibility.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the E-Tron S. If it maintains the same quality as the base model and adds some spunk to the driving experience, you have a winner.

OP
OP
iamfrozt

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The biggest concern she brought up is that when we throw bikes in the current 7-passenger it gets really tight. I explained last night we would just opt for a tow package on anything and then toss a rear bike rack on in the event we want to do that. That and "what if we want to go on a trip with both the dogs, and the kiddo or his friends. All of it's probably a non-issue if we can go and sit in one and she gets a feel for the difference in space from her current.

I think we'll probably test drive a cayenne e-hybrid as well. That's a good idea. I've recommended that as an option since she likes a stiffer suspension and better handling. It will be a nice comparison. If the size of the e-tron isn't an issue, then the cayenne shouldn't be a concern either.

It looks like our local audi has 6 e-trons on the lot, so at least she can get a feel for the size in person maybe next week. It won't be as responsive to drive as an s-line, but I think it's a great example. I believe our local porsche may have a cayenne e-hybrid as well. A basis of comparison would be good.

What is it with some women that insist on the extra seats that will almost never get used? My wife and your wife should meet for drinks.

We just got rid of my wife's Model X with the 6 seat configuration a couple of months back, and this was no joke her biggest concern. I fortunately talked her down from the ledge and convinced her a larger 5 seat SUV is more than enough room. It helped when I called her out about basically never having the rear seats folded up for use....

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
As far as passenger space goes, the e-tron is a 5 passenger?
Yes. We normally drive with 4 adults and her son in a car seat. The five of us have driven as far as Palm Springs from LA.

And yes, the Cayenne hybrid and Tesla X (7 seats) were candidates. In the end, she didn’t need 7 seats and liked the footprint of the e-tron.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
lots of similar concerns here:
  • 2017 Model X out of warranty - wife was tired of the Falcon Wing doors - what to get???
    • not getting a “new” X - there is very little “new” about a 2021 X…
  • hated going back to GAS - but sooo few pure EV choices for a decent SUV
  • eTron (non-S) too slow, too little range - great car w/great Fit& Finish - price is right - charging speed is fantastic - flat-line 150 kW deep into the 80% SOC
    • friends of our got an eTron - they like it - great car - with room for improvement as an EV
  • model Y - NO from the wife - doesn’t like the single screen with no physical controls - less Tesla/Elon in our lives (after being big fans since 2013 and 5 Teslas)
  • Cayenne eHybrid - seems to fit the bill -Turbo has necssary “oompph” to compete with our acquired taste for acceleration/power…
  • post Cayenne purchase I reviewed the eTron “S” - better acceleration, but still not that great (how do you make an EV that slow) but the range is still sooooo bad…I’m waiting for better.
Ended up buying the Cayenne eHybrid as it’s the best all around choice for us - 100% plan to pop our heads up after warranty on the Cayenne to move back to full BEV - shoudl be a lot more choice for a full BEV SUV in 4+ years - while I like the Cayenne the move ‘back’ to gas has convinced me there is no going back - it’s all EV from this point forward - every time I get back in my Taycan after driving the Cayenne for a bit I’m fully convinced of what I already knew - once you go full BEV there is no going back - the Cayenne seems soooo compromised - what I really want is a full BEV Cayenne - solid 240-260 miles range - zero-60 in 4 secs or less - and we’d be done.

however last tank of “gas” lasted for 857 miles between fill up - cause mostly we‘re all electric with the Cayenne for daily errands.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I will say this - the eTron 's acceleration is way way way better than the Cayenne in pure EV mode - I spend a lot of time "gaming" the Hybrid drive train to avoid "invoking" the gas motor - so that's a lot of "pure" EV driving - and while the Cayenne is no slouch - it's only not a slouch if you allow the vehicle to use both power units on the drive train - otherwise while the pure eV motor on the Cayenne is adequate - I spend a lot of time at max power going up local hill's at 53 mph - or slowly slowly accelerating up to 65 mph on the freeway to avoid the gas motor…

given how much I'm trying to drive the Cayenne like a "pure EV" - the eTron would be a huge step up as a pure-EV vs. the Cayenne hybrid in "pure-EV" mode…

I just really want a Cayenne with the Power and smoothness of the Taycan…

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Same here…waiting for Cayenne, EV edition.

OP
OP
iamfrozt

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Macan full EV in 2023 from all reports, so the Cayenne probably isn't far behind, especially given the 2025 'majority of line up EV compatible' statement that Porsche mentioned a year or two ago.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
My wife drives a 2019 e-tron and loves it. It's quiet, comfortable, roomy, has loads of features and fit and finish are excellent. I also find the car enjoyable to drive.

Car & Driver tested the e-tron 0-60 in 5.3 seconds which, while no dragster, is perfectly satisfactory for an SUV, IMHO. I've never found myself in a real life on-road driving situation where I wished I had more power. FWIW, by the numbers, it matches the straight line performance of the 2011 Cayenne S V8 I used to own and feels quicker by the seat of the pants. I've read that Audi claims the e-tron S will be a second quicker to 60 than the standard e-tron.

As for range, the EPA rating for the 2021 model is 222 miles which I suspect is conservative. We recently did a 210 mile round trip at freeway speeds in our 2019 and came home with 14% battery remaining which would equate to around 235 miles. For the driving that my wife does, and we typically do, this is more than adequate. YMMV.

Anyway, the car has been absolutely trouble free and we're more than happy with it. When the time comes, I'd definitely consider whatever Audi is offering as the next generation e-tron SUV.
Sponsored