Anyone have standard battery in Taycan RWD? Feedback?

Ledakar

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - production 01/22
Country flag
Hello,

does anyone of you have standard battery option in Taycan RWD? Any regrets? What about resell value - it will be low?

what will you choose - PPB or leather interior?

Best
Sponsored

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hello,

does anyone of you have standard battery option in Taycan RWD? Any regrets? What about resell value - it will be low?

Best
Hello,

First I tried the Performance Battery Plus version of a friend and I kind of like it as the power was ok but not extraordinary (for the RW version). I checked my local dealer and they have a RW with the non Plus battery.
The range difference was not really an issue but when I tried the car I saw a big difference in performance and I didn't like it that way. This is after I realized that the power was different because of the battery. I recall the voltage of the regular battery is lower and this is why the power is lacking.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Hello,

Best

For the average day to day I doubt it would be much of a difference. There are few things like takeover speed when passing people it is better at, but I doubt the overall performance is significantly tangible to most drivers.

The real perk is the added range, and IMHO resell value. Both of these things matter differently to different people. If your commute is minimal and you rarely take longer drives, range won't matter. If you keep your cars forever, resell won't matter.

EV's like Tesla with bigger batteries resell better than their smaller battery counterparts within the same model. Considering batteries degrade over time and with use, if I'm a prospective buyer 3 or 4 years down the road on a Taycan with 50k miles, I would want the Taycan with the PB+. We have no clue how Taycan resells will be since the only ones being sold now are a year old and still near MSRP, and they're all PB+ cars since the 2020 models all came with the bigger battery. Not to mention it is a crazy market right now where used cars are going for more than their new counterpart simply due to their immediate availability.

For me if I had to choose between the two, BP+ over leather all day. I find the standard interior to be just fine, and as someone that loves an EV roadtrip, the extra range is more peace of mind whenever the EA charger in one city is down, and you're 80 miles from the next one with 95 miles of predicted range (have lived this scenario). If you are the person that holds your vehicle for a long time and don't need more range, the leather will likely be of more value to you.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
PBP is a must-have for me. I wouldn't even consider a Taycan without it.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
If you have home charging and live in the EU, where density of chargers is far better than the US you don’t need the bigger battery.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
The power to weight ratio is the same with or without the upgraded battery. On the road performance should be the same. The reason why the smaller battery is not rated for same power as the larger and heavier battery is so that there isn’t a disincentive to pay the $7k battery upgrade. Very few would pay more for less performance. Only get the larger battery if you need the range, otherwise enjoy the smaller battery and better handling (you’ll pull more Gs in corners with less weight to move around)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The power to weight ratio is the same with or without the upgraded battery. On the road performance should be the same. The reason why the smaller battery is not rated for same power as the larger and heavier battery is so that there isn’t a disincentive to pay the $7k battery upgrade. Very few would pay more for less performance. Only get the larger battery if you need the range, otherwise enjoy the smaller battery and better handling (you’ll pull more Gs in corners with less weight to move around)
This is not the case.
The bigger battery does indeed give more performance.

0-100kmh may be the same (due to extra weight of bigger battery), but other stats show the improved performance (0-200kmh etc).

Last edited:

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Hello,

Best
I have the standard battery and after about 500 miles of in-town driving I have no regrets.

I made a choice to lease the car so I did not try to guess what the resale impact would be and therefore it had no impact on my choice.

Neither PPB or leather as I was trying to keep the cost to a very reasonable (under $100k) level. My viewpoint was that this was an 'entry level' Porsche and there was no sense in trying to add a lot of options to take the price up. If I wanted high performance, I would have stayed with my 911S or gone with a turbo or turbo S. I wanted a well designed car as my first EV- something that was fun to drive, did not break the bank, and would let me do what I wanted to do while charging the car at night --- and, thus far, that is exactly what I got!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Comparison for RWD from configurator....
How does it end up being slower 0-99 and 0-124, but have the same 1/4 mile, which sits between those times?
?

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
How does it end up being slower 0-99 and 0-124, but have the same 1/4 mile, which site between those times?
?
I think when discussed before it was agreed that it's just easier for Porsche to say the 0-60mph / 0-100km/h and 1/4 mile are the same in both the RWD and 4S for both batteries just to keep things simple.

It seems implausible that the PB+ is faster from 0-160kmh.... but somehow loses the gain made over the next 2 seconds for the 1/4 mile. Even though it has faster acceleration (80-120 kmh/h)
???

And then it suddenly speeds up again for the 0-200km/h.
?

Last edited:

Nivek

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan rwd
Country flag
Have standard battery,charger at home,free charging at work,90 mile round trip,so for 3 reasons i didnt go with the PB+ firstly,test drove both versions,performance difference was so small you could hardly notice,maybe a tiny bit more go over 70mph with upgraded battery. Secondly,handling to me that little bit better with the standard battery,quite a weight saving,and allthough the salesman pushed me to buy the PB+ I decided against,as i didnt need the extra range and have other vehicles to use if i need to go on a rare long trip,i get 245/250 miles charging to 85%,280 at 100% which im happy with, after doing the deal,the salesman confided with me that the bog standard rwd standard battery on 20inc wheels(which i have) is his,and many others favorite taycan,the most chuckable and fun,.150 kg lighter than the PB+,Nearly 500kg lighter than top of the range models,more power gives you better performance,increased weight,you cant defy physics!!! Most go on about range,spend the extra on the PB+ If thats youre most important issue,which leads me onto my third reason,i bought this taycan because its a porsche,i wanted an electric vehicle,we all have to go down that route eventually,so i took the plunge now,but i also wanted one that was fun,wiggles its bum a bit,and at its purist.some say get the PB+ for the extra 30 miles range,others like me buy one because its a porsche,if range was the be and end all,i wouldnt have gone to a porsche garage in the first place.Well known fact,best 911,even porsche admit this,the basic carrera,its the lightest.Buy what suits youre needs,for me this model was the one that suited mine,and i bloody love it!!

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Nivek shares some really interesting considerations, cast doubt again whether I need PB+
As I said before… only get the PB+ if you need the range. And by needing the range I mean chargers are spaced more than your car can travel on a charge. Otherwise just get the lighter and cheaper Taycan. Porsche’s statistics I think are more sandbagged for the standard battery than they already are generally. As proof the quarter mile is the same with the PB+. And if you calculate the peer to weight ratio you’ll find that there is no difference. Hence why times are so close.
I’d love to see a lap time around silverstone between identical cars with just the battery different; I think the lighter version could win… particularly on the RWD where 100kgs will represent more in percentage of the cars weight.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC