Anyone here racing in any spec classes or do e-racing?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Years ago, I used to race SCCA and PCA club races. I stopped because it took too much time away from family.

My children are now all off to university, so I am deciding whether to jump back in.

I have a big choice here between (1) entering another spec racing class or (2) buying a simulator and e-racing.

I am thoroughly addicted to racing, and hard to beat the thrill of being on a track with 80 cars from different classes. I am thinking about maybe the Cayman spec class, which I think would be about $50-70k to get back into. Anyone here doing that?

The alternative would be to get a very high quality simulator and e-race. If I get the sim, I don't have to have maintenance, insurance, travel costs, consumables, etc . . . and I could race whenever I wanted, and I hear that the simulators are so good now that even F1 drivers are fans. To be clear, I would get one that simulates g-forces etc . . .so pretty high end. Anyone here have one or done this?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nobody seems too interested, but it is this kind of video that makes me seriously consider iracing with a simulator instead of buying a new race car so that I can race IRL again:

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
IMO simulators are really superb nowadays and if you can afford a property setup then it will be great fun.

I don’t think it will replace the visceral thrill of driving on a track though.

Maybe karts might be an idea?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMO simulators are really superb nowadays and if you can afford a property setup then it will be great fun.

I don’t think it will replace the visceral thrill of driving on a track though.

Maybe karts might be an idea?
That’s exactly the struggle. Karts might not be bad, but I would want to do shifter carts, but those seem more dangerous to me than cup cars or maybe a cayman-based spec series. I’m so torn.
The great sims seem to be US60-100K, but you basically invest once and don’t have to get tow vehicle, storage, spare parts car, maintenance, etc so could be cheaper in the not-so-long run.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I think you’re right on price, certainly over a ‘season’. Why not just buy something like a Mazda MX-5 or a Ford Puma/Fiesta ST and do a race series with that?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you’re right on price, certainly over a ‘season’. Why not just buy something like a Mazda MX-5 or a Ford Puma/Fiesta ST and do a race series with that?
I’m too tall for both. Largely I agree that it doesn’t matter as much what you are racing so long as it is a spec series so people can’t buy speed as easily. And I just like Porsches.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sims are great but they’re still not the same visceral feeling as driving a physical car. But they are way cheaper, more accessible, and safer.

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I raced karts for a couple years and got the experience of spending money, going to (only one) track, buying tires, parts, etc, etc. Last year I bought a full no-expense spared sim rig (full race seat, direct drive force feedback, triple screens, buttkickers) and love it waaaay better. I can hop in and race all sorts of fun cars. GT3, F3, F1, LMP2 and others on all the world's coolest tracks. And, I can race people all over the world matched well with my level. I work with a coach and practice or race whenever I want, so I still get to work on learning to drive faster - not just 'playing a game'. And, no tires, brakes, clutches, travel, or risk of writing off the car. If you can do the real thing, for sure that's amazing. However, e-motorsports has a lot to offer.

Last edited:

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Years ago, I used to race SCCA and PCA club races. I stopped because it took too much time away from family.

My children are now all off to university, so I am deciding whether to jump back in.

I have a big choice here between (1) entering another spec racing class or (2) buying a simulator and e-racing.

I am thoroughly addicted to racing, and hard to beat the thrill of being on a track with 80 cars from different classes. I am thinking about maybe the Cayman spec class, which I think would be about $50-70k to get back into. Anyone here doing that?

The alternative would be to get a very high quality simulator and e-race. If I get the sim, I don't have to have maintenance, insurance, travel costs, consumables, etc . . . and I could race whenever I wanted, and I hear that the simulators are so good now that even F1 drivers are fans. To be clear, I would get one that simulates g-forces etc . . .so pretty high end. Anyone here have one or done this?

Thoughts?
I decided that to be faster on the Nordschleife, I needed to practice so I started to build a sim, simlab p1 cockpit, simucube 2 pro, heusinkveld ultimate pedals, cube control csx 2 wheel with display and triple screens with an ultimate pc with 3080ti (3090 was difficult to get hold on then). Two month ago I added motion to the rig with the 4 PT Scorpion S actuators. It is fun and good for your physical condition I can tell you. I use Iracing and ACC.

I can recommend it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I'm really, really leaning towards the Sim route despite the allure and romance of racing IRL.

Put simply, the ability to drive any time on a whim at nearly any track around the world, to race in competitive leagues with great drivers, to not feel bad about sustainability or spending too much time away from my family (not to mention money), is really appealing.

If you, or anyone you know, can spare some time to think about equipment, please do message me as I am trying to narrow down equipment and thinking of placing orders.

Thanks in advance.

Neil63

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4, 2017 Volvo Polestar, March Apache 86S, Taycan
Country flag
I recently retired from racing an SRF3 in the SCCA and have moved to a vintage S2000. SRF3 is a great class, fast, relatively low cost (12 cycles on the tires, 30 weekends before an engine rebuild) with lots of competition at all levels. BTW I am still an instructor in the SCCA and have used my Taycan to show students the line, braking points etc. Everyone loves to ride with me while lapping in it.
Sims are fun, real racing is fabulous.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I recently retired from racing an SRF3 in the SCCA and have moved to a vintage S2000. SRF3 is a great class, fast, relatively low cost (12 cycles on the tires, 30 weekends before an engine rebuild) with lots of competition at all levels. BTW I am still an instructor in the SCCA and have used my Taycan to show students the line, braking points etc. Everyone loves to ride with me while lapping in it.
Sims are fun, real racing is fabulous.
Trust me I know that racing IRL is incredible. To me, it’s like a mistress/amante I can’t seem to shake despite my love for my family. But have you ever tried a high end sim?

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So, I'm really, really leaning towards the Sim route despite the allure and romance of racing IRL.

Put simply, the ability to drive any time on a whim at nearly any track around the world, to race in competitive leagues with great drivers, to not feel bad about sustainability or spending too much time away from my family (not to mention money), is really appealing.

If you, or anyone you know, can spare some time to think about equipment, please do message me as I am trying to narrow down equipment and thinking of placing orders.

Thanks in advance.
I suggest to read some forums and check out youtube channels like boosted media and sim racing garage. Very detailed reviews on all sorts of gear. I also checked out what the F1 drivers where using. It is personal what you prefer. Fanatec is more an eco system but your are limited to their products. I selected individual products but that is more work because you different software to install to customize et cetera but the benefit is you can build exactly what you want.

In my initial post you have the things I am using, I forgot one item I have a SRS Hurricane ventilatior system. The ventilator speed is based on the speed your driving in the sim with gives you a certain feel of the speed. I mostly driving formula cars so this makes it even more "real"

If you have questions just send me a DM.

Succes!
Sponsored