Anyone make the drive from the EA charger in Winslow, AZ to the EA chargers in Tempe?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I am headed to Tempe next week from Denver, but can't go down I-25 to I-10 since there is no charging between Albuquerque and Demming, NM. That is a gap of 240 miles, and not willing to risk going that on a single charge. So, that means I need to take a right in Albuquerque and head west. Has anyone done the drive from the Winslow, AZ EA charger to the EA charger in Tempe? It is is 175 miles going on Hwy 87. I am comfortable doing that drive going south since it is pretty much flat or downhill, but how about coming back? There is some significant elevation gains going north, but was wondering if anyone has done that drive in a Taycan? I have a 4s with Pirelli winter tires right now, and I am expecting the temps to be in the mid-50's or even low 60's. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I am headed to Tempe next week from Denver, but can't go down I-25 to I-10 since there is no charging between Albuquerque and Demming, NM. That is a gap of 240 miles, and not willing to risk going that on a single charge. So, that means I need to take a right in Albuquerque and head west. Has anyone done the drive from the Winslow, AZ EA charger to the EA charger in Tempe? It is is 175 miles going on Hwy 87. I am comfortable doing that drive going south since it is pretty much flat or downhill, but how about coming back? There is some significant elevation gains going north, but was wondering if anyone has done that drive in a Taycan? I have a 4s with Pirelli winter tires right now, and I am expecting the temps to be in the mid-50's or even low 60's. Thanks in advance!
Hey bud, did you ever attempt this? How'd it go?

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Hey bud, did you ever attempt this? How'd it go?
I did not. I ended up going to Tucson in February and March for my "escape winter trips" this year instead since I wanted a hotel with better access to bike trails.

I wish someone from the PHX are would charge up to 100% and try that drive to be able to share with the rest of us. If you are headed to Albuquerque from PHX you could save some time by going up hwy 87 to Winslow instead of being safe and taking I-17 to 'Flag, but I am done with my Arizona trips until November.

shannond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
We have a place in Pine and going up past us to Winslow would be cutting it too close I'm thinking. Starting at our Phoenix home with 270 mile range, I only have about 100 miles of range left when I arrive in Pine. Winslow is another 75 miles. I drive fast and never employed hyper mile-ing techniques so you may be able to stretch it. Happy to give you a top off at 11 kWh in Pine if you don't mind hanging out enjoying some great pizza for an hour or two.

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
I’ve made the drive from Gilbert to Flagstaff which is almost the exact same distance as from Winslow. I had 17% left in my PBP 4S arriving to Flagstaff and did not drive economically. I don’t recall how much I had left when driving back, but it was a non issue coming down in elevation.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm driving from Goodyear to the Grand Canyon Village soon. ABRP says my PBP RWD will go from 85% to 14% SOC in 115 miles from the West Anthem Way EA station to Flagstaff. That seems off because 71% SOC should yield about 200 miles.

@Rcrewse7 , when you drove to Flagstaff did you see a drop similar to what ABRP is predicting? Is it because of a lot of uphill driving to Flagstaff?
Porsche Taycan Anyone make the drive from the EA charger in Winslow, AZ to the EA chargers in Tempe? 1658808536623

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
I'm driving from Goodyear to the Grand Canyon Village soon. ABRP says my PBP RWD will go from 85% to 14% SOC in 115 miles from the West Anthem Way EA station to Flagstaff. That seems off because 71% SOC should yield about 200 miles.

@Rcrewse7 , when you drove to Flagstaff did you see a drop similar to what ABRP is predicting? Is it because of a lot of uphill driving to Flagstaff?
1658808536623.png
Yes, that actually sounds about right as I’ve found that the estimated percentage does a good job accounting for elevation change, Highway speeds etc.
Not sure how the chargers are doing in Flagstaff at the moment (mixed reviews on PlugShare lately), but I had my fastest charge there going from 17% to 82% in 17 minutes.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yes, that actually sounds about right as I’ve found that the estimated percentage does a good job accounting for elevation change, Highway speeds etc.
Not sure how the chargers are doing in Flagstaff at the moment (mixed reviews on PlugShare lately), but I had my fastest charge there going from 17% to 82% in 17 minutes.
I just returned from the Grand Canyon and am pleased to report my RWD outdid ABRP by a lot. ABRP predicted I would go from 85% to 14% SOC from the West Anthem Way (WAW) EA station to Flagstaff (115 miles). I charged up to 93% (287 miles on the guess-o-meter) at WAW and headed north on I-17. Even with 6000' of elevation change, I had plenty of battery upon reaching Flagstaff. So, I drove another half hour to Williams and pulled into the EA station there with 37% SOC. That's 143 miles with SOC falling by 56% on an uphill drive.

(BTW I made sure to specify PB+ in ABRP.)

@thecoloradokid With that performance I should be able to drive the 200 miles from my home, which is about 20 miles west of Tempe, to Winslow on a single charge on a warm day.
Sponsored