Anyone plan to keep their taycan long term (8+ years)?

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I always buy my cars outright and tend to keep them for 10 years or so.
Taycan is no different.

Battery will degrade and when that happens to a point where I cannot use the car, I will decide what to do, (fix with old battery, new battery, or dispose the car). Until then, I plan to enjoy my Taycan for many more miles to come.
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
That's all pretty much where I'm at with this purchase. I'm fully prepared to part with the whole amount in the end.

Mine's on the good ship Goodwood, anchored off Jacksonville, getting ready to go around the Florida peninsula, across the Gulf to Houston, and finally across the "Whole 'Nuther Country" of Texas to Albuquerque Porsche. So, probably at least 2 April before I see it.

Cheers.
Awesome. Put up some pics when it arrives!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
This is a great thread. Of course it’s all just a matter of opinion. I like the idea of hanging onto a car really long term and there’s probably more likelihood of this with an electric car if you can upgrade the battery pack after say 10 years. The beauty of a Porsche is the build quality will allow you to do this if you want to ...but what price a 911 from 2003? How quickly will the incredibly complicated software and chips survive? Can you imagine a Taycan 4s being run as a classic in 40 years time like a 1980 911SC? Probably not but with a Porsche you can at least contemplate it.

Mac Madsen

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For me it’s a keeper - meaning 20 years. I had my BMW 540 for 20 years and just got the Taycan bovember last year. I loved me 540 and that V8 for everyday driving and long road trips to Southern Europe.

But the Taycan is much much better than the old V8 and I’m planning a trip from Copenhagen to Southern Spain (3000 km) next year when there’s more chargers in Spain.

The car is beautiful and will not look like an old car as fast as BMW’s, Audi’s and Mercedes does.

Tax considerations also come into play since we have a 150% tax on cars in Denmark (down from 180% a couple of years ago). However we have a tax break (20% last year) on electrical cars. The tax will gradually increase to 150% again in coming years on expensive cars like the Taycan.

Actually the Taycan was half the price of a fast 911 so the buy was a no brainer. And keeping it for 20 years or so will protect the investment (cross my fingers the batteries can be changed after 10 years at a fair price and the general maintenance and service cost will not explode;)

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I am on the fence. I was talking with my service advisor today about a battery replacement. The price for the battery was $72K. I know this price will come down over time but it may be the next one after this lease that I purchase.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I bought my 2013 P85+ Model S Cert Pre-Owned 4 years ago I thought I would have it 10+ years easy. Then TWO battery failures later (Yes, two) I knew I had to let it go before the 8-year battery warranty was up.

Luckily, the base Taycan came around at perfect timing, and while I do not take delivery for a few months, I fully expect battery anxiety will kick in around year 7 (or if I begin to approach 100k miles) and I will sell before the warranty expires.

Looking forward to (hopefully) a smooth next 7ish years, though!
I feel your pain and I too, had a 2013 85 Model S that was purchased brand new. I loved the car though. At the beginning, things were spectacular; great customer service, excited to be part of driving new technology, smooth ride and oblivious to shoddy build quality which I didn't pay attention until later. Then over the years, all these features took a turn for the worse. A battery replacement, terrible customer service, some widening of quarter panel gaps, computer chip and warranty issues. Been happy with the Taycan so far. As with most new technology, glitchy issues pop up but these should get corrected via software updates. Still, these issues are nothing compared to the track record of Porsche's high performance, handling and quality. Enjoy your vehicle.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I am on the fence. I was talking with my service advisor today about a battery replacement. The price for the battery was $72K. I know this price will come down over time but it may be the next one after this lease that I purchase.
Keep in mind that there's an 8 year warranty on the battery- so if that's the big concern there's no need to get rid of the car after only 2-4 years (as is typical with a lease).

$72k sounds crazy high- but in the world of porsche dealer repair prices I suppose anything is possible.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
For me it’s a keeper - meaning 20 years. I had my BMW 540 for 20 years and just got the Taycan bovember last year. I loved me 540 and that V8 for everyday driving and long road trips to Southern Europe.

But the Taycan is much much better than the old V8 and I’m planning a trip from Copenhagen to Southern Spain (3000 km) next year when there’s more chargers in Spain.

The car is beautiful and will not look like an old car as fast as BMW’s, Audi’s and Mercedes does.

Tax considerations also come into play since we have a 150% tax on cars in Denmark (down from 180% a couple of years ago). However we have a tax break (20% last year) on electrical cars. The tax will gradually increase to 150% again in coming years on expensive cars like the Taycan.

Actually the Taycan was half the price of a fast 911 so the buy was a no brainer. And keeping it for 20 years or so will protect the investment (cross my fingers the batteries can be changed after 10 years at a fair price and the general maintenance and service cost will not explode;)

Very cool that you kept your e39 540 for 20 years! I still think it's a great looking car. Hopefully the Taycan will age just as gracefully. 20 years ago, I ended up buying an e46 instead, and always kind of wished I'd gone for the e39. Kept it for 10 years and sold it to family member who still has it. Actually, the Taycan is the first 4 door car since that era of BMW that gives me the same "gotta have it" feeling. Anyway, it seems that EVs are a "no brainer" choice in Denmark right now given the tax advantages. In the US it's a little less clear cut, but over a 10 year ownership period, I estimate that a Taycan would have an equivalent ownership cost of an ICE car that costs about 20k less.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Keep in mind that there's an 8 year warranty on the battery- so if that's the big concern there's no need to get rid of the car after only 2-4 years (as is typical with a lease).

$72k sounds crazy high- but in the world of porsche dealer repair prices I suppose anything is possible.
needing to replace the battery is rare, these batteries can serve well for well over 100k miles. you'd really have to abuse the battery to need a replacement. being concerned about battery replacement costs should be close to the bottom of anyone's concerns list

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
needing to replace the battery is rare, these batteries can serve well for well over 100k miles. you'd really have to abuse the battery to need a replacement. being concerned about battery replacement costs should be close to the bottom of anyone's concerns list
Agreed. I think if there's a battery issue it'll be due to a manufacturing defect which will show up way before the warranty is over.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I feel your pain and I too, had a 2013 85 Model S that was purchased brand new. I loved the car though. At the beginning, things were spectacular; great customer service, excited to be part of driving new technology, smooth ride and oblivious to shoddy build quality which I didn't pay attention until later. Then over the years, all these features took a turn for the worse. A battery replacement, terrible customer service, some widening of quarter panel gaps, computer chip and warranty issues. Been happy with the Taycan so far. As with most new technology, glitchy issues pop up but these should get corrected via software updates. Still, these issues are nothing compared to the track record of Porsche's high performance, handling and quality. Enjoy your vehicle.
Yep- it does seem like the issues the Taycan has are mostly software related. These will all get solved well within the warranty period for sure.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very cool that you kept your e39 540 for 20 years! I still think it's a great looking car. Hopefully the Taycan will age just as gracefully. 20 years ago, I ended up buying an e46 instead, and always kind of wished I'd gone for the e39. Kept it for 10 years and sold it to family member who still has it. Actually, the Taycan is the first 4 door car since that era of BMW that gives me the same "gotta have it" feeling. Anyway, it seems that EVs are a "no brainer" choice in Denmark right now given the tax advantages. In the US it's a little less clear cut, but over a 10 year ownership period, I estimate that a Taycan would have an equivalent ownership cost of an ICE car that costs about 20k less.
Agreed. I had 1990 E34/M30 for 10 yrs. It was fun to work on and learned a lot on the E34 forum. I became increasingly busy with work and after having worked on a head gasket replacement, complete front end rebuild (chain, sprockets...) and tranny issues, I lost the desire to continue this pace and sold the vehicle to a family member. This family member, however, got rid of the vehicle. Before getting rid of the car, I continued to work on the vehicle as a courtesy but then I threw in the towel and moved on in getting a Tesla.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Agreed. I had 1990 E34/M30 for 10 yrs. It was fun to work on and learned a lot on the E34 forum. I became increasingly busy with work and after having worked on a head gasket replacement, complete front end rebuild (chain, sprockets...) and tranny issues, I lost the desire to continue this pace and sold the vehicle to a family member. This family member, however, got rid of the vehicle. Before getting rid of the car, I continued to work on the vehicle as a courtesy but then I through in the towel and moved on in getting a Tesla.
Yes, working on cars is a lot of fun. I've had a blast with my race cars - very, very simple cars compared to the average street car with some 50 microprocessor chips. I've pretty much given up on working on my street cars...:crying:

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, working on cars is a lot of fun. I've had a blast with my race cars - very, very simple cars compared to the average street car with some 50 microprocessor chips. I've pretty much given up on working on my street cars...:crying:
Nice! On working on cars.
Sponsored