Anyone plan to keep their taycan long term (8+ years)?

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
In the past, I've owned cars for 10+ years but the past few cars have been leases mostly because a) the lease terms were good b) They weren't cars that I felt strongly enough about to where I wanted to keep them long term c) the projected long term maintenance/repair costs made it such that it didn't really make sense to buy and hold them.

As is typical for Porsche, the lease terms (in the US atleast) are pretty bad. And, I've really fallen for the Taycan. Absolutely love the way it looks, feels and drives. It appears to be put together very well. The design is also quite elegant and timeless. Plus, as an EV it should have lower maintenance/repair costs over the long term (yes, I know there are issues now but i'm sure most of these teething issues will be sorted out during the warranty period). It's also quite expensive (from my perspective), so if I'm going to lose a lot of money in depreciation i'd prefer to amortize that over a longer period.

I'm actually not really a "gadget person", so the prospect of missing out on future tech features (including battery tech) that get introduced over a longer ownership period doesn't really bug me. The only things I can think of that would make me regret such a decision would be a) quirks or comfort issues with the car that eventually drive me nuts b) chronic reliability issues. Of course, those types of things can crop up with any car.

Just wanted to see if anyone else see things similarly and also just write out some thoughts I've been having on the subject. Sorry if this post was a bit rambling :)
I feel pretty much the same. With battery guarantee for 8 years that seems good to me. The battery tech that Porsche refer to I suspect is VW solid state battery (I think from Qualcomm?) and that might be 5 years away from real production so I have taken the plunge. Taycan is unquestionably the best car I’ve driven.
Sponsored

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
This is a very interesting subject...

When I bought my MY2021 4S, it was the most Expensive car i have ever purchased. I agree that tech and more will improve and evolve, that’s just the way things are.. But i am not so concerned in depreciation as i was just a couple of years ago.. here is why:

The market is changing, and more important, peoples perception of electric cars and battery risk are too. What I mean is, for 3 years ago, I didn’t even consider a used EV. Not at all.. Today i would be perfectly fine..

Major producers are well aware, that EV’s must be made for the mass market, so primarily they will produce cars which cost much less than a Taycan - this will in general mean, that battery packs are the limiting factor, and I don’t think the battle will be in size, as this makes both price and weight go up - in reality, almost everyone will have sufficient capacity with 70 - 100 KWh.approx .

Many are saying that batteries will be cheaper in the future, and this will only be true, if new battery tech is coming to market. This is not going to happen anytime soon - at least not in a state where the general public will be able to pay for it..

Demand for materials (lithium etc) is extremely high, and a super cycle is probably underway, as every carmaker is demanding these commodities the coming years, meaning prices probably will soar Due to scarcity..

The battle will be on charging speed and infrastructure...

I don’t think depreciation will be so bad as some people are afraid of, and i certainly don’t think the Taycan will be obsolete in 5-8 years..

Thats why i bought it - its the most expensive EV, its high specced in all important areas (charging speed, capacity and driving dynamics) its the best in the world, its class leading, its a sports car, and finally its a Porsche.... Demand will always be present...

It’s a keeper :cool:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Two year cycle for me. Taycan is evolving and we are currently the real life testing mules. Many issues across MYs but a lot being done to resolve.

At a certain maturity level I might lengthen the cycle period but for now it seems too risky a proposition. Battery tech is probably the main thing to evolve next alongside we hope quality software.

Gen 1 Cayennes were disastrous but saved the company. Today they are close to faultless. I expect the Taycan will save the company this time around and will mature rapidly.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I'm along the same lines as W1NGE. For me this is a company car, in 3 years I'll have driven approx. 60k miles in the car. By that time I think I'll want to drive something different, just as I did with my last car, however the Taycan is a different class to anything else I've driven. So that all depends on what options are available to me in 3 years' time.

I do have a habit of not being able to let cars go once I've owned them, but I don't have space for another car just at the moment unfortunately! There is a chance, at the end of the lease, that I might try to purchase the car off the lease company, and keep it as a company car for another year or two. But I think it's quite unlikely at the moment. The lease, whilst probably more expensive than purchase, gives me the perceived flexibility to do what I want after 3 years, if it had been purchased outright I'm sure I'd feel obliged to keep it a lot longer. That's no hardship by the way, but it just doesn't suit my current situation.

With the tax incentives for companies from the likes of the UK government, this is bound to drive manufacturers to improve EV technology rapidly. So at the moment I'm not sure I want to miss out on that in 3 years' time. However other developments that I see as negatives such as mandated speed limiters on new cars do concern me. If that does ever come in to the UK I can't see I'll have another new car for a long time, in which case the Taycan will probably become a longer term proposition for me.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It's also worth mentioning that the $7,500 tax credit is still valid for Porsches sold in the US, but only if you purchase/finance the vehicle. I've never been able to make the depreciation math work for a lease, so I buy outright and sell when I'm ready to move on.
not quite correct. on my lease deal pcna gets the tax credit, it isn't a rebate, and that $7500 was used as a cap cost reduction.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My SOP has been to buy the best car I can if you can only have 1 car (on the street anyways), and that has been one of the first in Ohio of: 2004 E60 M5 V10 - 110,000 miles, 2012 Panamera GTS - 105,000 miles, and now Taycan Turbo S - planning on 100K miles in 7 years or so.

I have never thought my car is 'outdated' after 6 or 7 years of driving. That's one of the advantages of getting one of the 'first', is you have a longer runway before it becomes 'obsolete'. There are a lot of other (positive and negative) considerations in having one of the first cars of a model, but for me it's been great since I've always had a very good dealer and support. If you look at the economics, it's bad - so I don't look at the economics. I didn't buy the car as financial investment, I bought it for enjoyment and entertainment and so far all the cars have more than delivered.

I can't imagine being dissatisfied with the Taycan after 5-7 years, because I really have pretty much everything I could want in a car. Do I want to go 500 miles on a charge - yes! That's about the only thing I would improve on this car. Everything else I'm good with staying the same for the near future. I don't think battery tech will be that much improved in the next 3-5 years, but if it does I'm willing to look at a new car in 5 years.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Over the more than 7 years I owned my Tesla Model S, my battery capacity barely dropped, and cell balance was still near perfect across all the battery modules. I'm not really worried about pack degradation with the Taycan.

Of course, as others have said, the tech marches ahead. But battery tech is quite hard, and hasn't been making leaps: every party starting down the solid-state road ends up at 90% and then realizes that last 10% is another 90%...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
My answer is "I hope not" but who knows. I kept my last EV for 8 years, and my wife's just turned 7 and she has no plans to change. I'd like to think that in a few years I could upgrade from the Taycan to maybe a later version with more tech and gadgets, or possibly a convertible Taycan!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Over the more than 7 years I owned my Tesla Model S, my battery capacity barely dropped, and cell balance was still near perfect across all the battery modules. I'm not really worried about pack degradation with the Taycan.

Of course, as others have said, the tech marches ahead. But battery tech is quite hard, and hasn't been making leaps: every party starting down the solid-state road ends up at 90% and then realizes that last 10% is another 90%...
here's my example of being functionally obsolete, my first model S early '14 was a rwd drive car, 85 kw battery, AP had not come out nor was AWD available, less than a year later AWD became available and I test drove one with a 100 kw battery, know as the 100d, great car the dynamics of adding a motor to the front was incredible but I didn't bit, a few months later they introduced AP1 and that upgrade forced hand, I bought the 90kw awd with AP1 version because my original car, which other than the issues almost all early model S cars had, was still functional but it's value was to begin to diminish rapidly. so while there is nothing wrong with your 7 year old model S the newer models are far more advanced. as for the references to the gassers and those are very different animals.
now that some of us have early generation taycans we will see our cars be bettered by newer offering by porsche. in the few weeks that I've had mine I've seen the introduction of a RWD model and the introduction of the tourismo, which has many variants. as we journey down the road a bit more porsche will be bringing out many more EVs with better tech in them and our cars will become functionally obsolete.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
here's my example of being functionally obsolete, my first model S early '14 was a rwd drive car, 85 kw battery, AP had not come out nor was AWD available, less than a year later AWD became available and I test drove one with a 100 kw battery, know as the 100d, great car the dynamics of adding a motor to the front was incredible but I didn't bit, a few months later they introduced AP1 and that upgrade forced hand, I bought the 90kw awd with AP1 version because my original car, which other than the issues almost all early model S cars had, was still functional but it's value was to begin to diminish rapidly. so while there is nothing wrong with your 7 year old model S the newer models are far more advanced. as for the references to the gassers and those are very different animals.
now that some of us have early generation taycans we will see our cars be bettered by newer offering by porsche. in the few weeks that I've had mine I've seen the introduction of a RWD model and the introduction of the tourismo, which has many variants. as we journey down the road a bit more porsche will be bringing out many more EVs with better tech in them and our cars will become functionally obsolete.
I thought my 2013 Model S P85 was a great car and gave me 5 years of trouble free and fun driving pleasure. I bought that car for $100,000 and sold it 5 years later at approx. 60,000 miles for $55,000. It never lost any range when fully charged, usually reaching around 245 miles, and I was never worried that I would outlive the battery life. The next P100D Model S that I got was leased for 3 years, mainly because the lease deal at the time was great and I knew Taycan was coming soon. That was a great car and I could still happily be driving it now and into the future, but I love my Taycan 4S even more because of the driving dynamics, steering, handling, braking, ride quality, and interior design and quality and exterior design/looks. I purchased this car and plan on keeping it at least for 5-6 years. I will probably get something new at that time just because there will be something else I want that is even better, the only real draw would be even longer range, like 400+ miles on a full charge to make road trips even easier. This car is fast enough and handles and drives/rides so well that I don't really need or want more than it gives currently.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just my 2 cents - I'm in the long-term camp (I think). Bought outright and intend to keep it for a number of years. I held-off buying an EV for many years, since I wanted this purchase to be a long-term purchase, so waited for an EV that I really wanted to drive. The Taycan is a fantastic drive. Sure, there will be new 'Taycans' in the next few years, with better range and better performance, but ultimately, am I happy with driving what I've got for the next 5-10 years? Yup. Does it have enough range for what I need. Yup (just about in the Winter!). The only caveats are if the car starts developing significant problems, or the service fees are goosed to the levels that the UK dealers are trying to get us to sign-up to, then I'll jump. Probably to a different brand. To be honest, I'm the same with phones. Ah, maybe I'm just tight...

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
I usually keep cars for 2-4 years. With the Taycan CT I have ordered, I plan to keep for 3-4 years.

For me it isn't the obsolete technology issue that bothers me.
It is purely me! It doesn't matter what the car is...McLaren, Porsche Lotus etc ...
I am sure in 3-4 years time the Taycan will still be a desirable EV, but knowing me I'll be itching for something new....which usually starts after 2 years of ownership.

If the Taycan proves to be a good ownership experience, then I'll likely be trading in for a facelifted version in 3-4 years time depending on what the changes will be.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Just my 2 cents - I'm in the long-term camp (I think). Bought outright and intend to keep it for a number of years. I held-off buying an EV for many years, since I wanted this purchase to be a long-term purchase, so waited for an EV that I really wanted to drive. The Taycan is a fantastic drive. Sure, there will be new 'Taycans' in the next few years, with better range and better performance, but ultimately, am I happy with driving what I've got for the next 5-10 years? Yup. Does it have enough range for what I need. Yup (just about in the Winter!). The only caveats are if the car starts developing significant problems, or the service fees are goosed to the levels that the UK dealers are trying to get us to sign-up to, then I'll jump. Probably to a different brand. To be honest, I'm the same with phones. Ah, maybe I'm just tight...

Yep- that's how i feel as well. I was intrigued by the Model S when it came out (still love the way it looks actually) and really wanted one. But, atleast to me, it had obvious shortcomings that I thought would be addressed within a few years. As it turns out, they did address some of those shortcomings but not all (plus introduced new ones like mandatory plastic seats). By that time some of the quality and safety issues started to come out, Musk started acting like an insane spoiled brat, and I just got turned off about the whole thing. Then the Taycan came out, and it was love at first sight for me. Checks all the boxes with none of the shortcomings that bugged me about Teslas. And manages to look great too.

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
No right or wrong answer here - whether short term or long term, you’re getting a fabulous car! I am in the long term camp - whether I leased or bought - the biggest depreciation hit would happen in the first 3 years thus I am hosed either way. As others have stated - it is a great car and will be a great car with timeless beauty a few years out. Practically speaking - if I am driving more than 200 miles it’s prob w the family and at that point I am in our SUV. As I think back to vehicles I have had in the past - the good ones (S550, E500 etc) would have been good even now though the tech has moved on. I have a 6 yr old GL (previous gen) and it is still a great vehicle that I hope my son ends up driving for safety purposes if nothing else.

FWIW the number of unsolicited compliments I have gotten on this car (including random people on a bicycle riding by to people on a walk changing directions to walk up to me/Taycan) has been insane. I don’t think that will change much a few years out unless a Taycan becomes ubiquitous.

A 7-8 year old 911 is still a gorgeous car that drives really well though there is a new Gen with new tech. I’m hoping the same for a Taycan.

Finally - I am with Geico - they have an awesome extended warranty program called Mechanical Breakdown insurance that runs through 7yr/100K - I got that for piece of mind as they paid out $10K on some repairs I had on an older car that I had the insurance on.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
No right or wrong answer here - whether short term or long term, you’re getting a fabulous car! I am in the long term camp - whether I leased or bought - the biggest depreciation hit would happen in the first 3 years thus I am hosed either way. As others have stated - it is a great car and will be a great car with timeless beauty a few years out. Practically speaking - if I am driving more than 200 miles it’s prob w the family and at that point I am in our SUV. As I think back to vehicles I have had in the past - the good ones (S550, E500 etc) would have been good even now though the tech has moved on. I have a 6 yr old GL (previous gen) and it is still a great vehicle that I hope my son ends up driving for safety purposes if nothing else.

FWIW the number of unsolicited compliments I have gotten on this car (including random people on a bicycle riding by to people on a walk changing directions to walk up to me/Taycan) has been insane. I don’t think that will change much a few years out unless a Taycan becomes ubiquitous.

A 7-8 year old 911 is still a gorgeous car that drives really well though there is a new Gen with new tech. I’m hoping the same for a Taycan.

Finally - I am with Geico - they have an awesome extended warranty program called Mechanical Breakdown insurance that runs through 7yr/100K - I got that for piece of mind as they paid out $10K on some repairs I had on an older car that I had the insurance on.

I've long lusted after 911s as well. The Taycan manages to combine some of that timeless style with usable backseats.
Sponsored