Anyone plan to keep their taycan long term (8+ years)?

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
needing to replace the battery is rare, these batteries can serve well for well over 100k miles. you'd really have to abuse the battery to need a replacement. being concerned about battery replacement costs should be close to the bottom of anyone's concerns list
I hear ya about the battery replacement. The thing is that for most of us who bought electric vehicles early on, not much education about Li-Ion battery care was clearly available or obvious to many. Having owned an electric vehicle, I've learned the hard way on how to increase battery longevity. So those lessons learned will be applied to the Taycan for sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I hear ya about the battery replacement. The thing is that for most of us who bought electric vehicles early on, not much education about Li-Ion battery care was clearly available or obvious to many. Having owned an electric vehicle, I've learned the hard way on how to increase battery longevity. So those lessons learned will be applied to the Taycan for sure.
I also think that Porsche builds in some safeguards that Tesla doesn’t (for example leaving a small buffer so that you can’t repeatedly charge to a true 100% for example)

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought my 2013 Model S P85 was a great car and gave me 5 years of trouble free and fun driving pleasure. I bought that car for $100,000 and sold it 5 years later at approx. 60,000 miles for $55,000. It never lost any range when fully charged, usually reaching around 245 miles, and I was never worried that I would outlive the battery life. The next P100D Model S that I got was leased for 3 years, mainly because the lease deal at the time was great and I knew Taycan was coming soon. That was a great car and I could still happily be driving it now and into the future, but I love my Taycan 4S even more because of the driving dynamics, steering, handling, braking, ride quality, and interior design and quality and exterior design/looks. I purchased this car and plan on keeping it at least for 5-6 years. I will probably get something new at that time just because there will be something else I want that is even better, the only real draw would be even longer range, like 400+ miles on a full charge to make road trips even easier. This car is fast enough and handles and drives/rides so well that I don't really need or want more than it gives currently.
Amen to that. The Model S is a great car hands down and although the Taycan may lack a bit on the user interface display features, it's a much sweeter ride in many aspects.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Cars have become like cell phones. The cycle of change is hyper fast.
This is why the analog cars have skyrocketed in value.

The current EV batteries are temporary placeholders for the next generation of battery tech

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Cars have become like cell phones. The cycle of change is hyper fast.
This is why the analog cars have skyrocketed in value.

The current EV batteries are temporary placeholders for the next generation of battery tech
Interesting comment about the value of analog cars. Reminds me of watches...

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Keep in mind that there's an 8 year warranty on the battery- so if that's the big concern there's no need to get rid of the car after only 2-4 years (as is typical with a lease).

$72k sounds crazy high- but in the world of porsche dealer repair prices I suppose anything is possible.
I'm with ya brotha.

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would certainly buy a extended warranty if I was to keep Taycan after the original manufacturer warranty. The extended warranty should cover the big and small battery and electrical components like computer modules, converters and charging modules. Keep in mind that Indy shops are unlikely to repair electrical faults for this car and Porsche parts and dealer labor cost an arm and a leg.

I personally leased for 3 years and I will probably use the Porsche early return to return it as soon as 2 years and go for another one which hopefully will have less bugs by then, or wait for 3 years and the go for another brand if Porsche has not address the issues by then.
Agree totally. I just did a 3 year lease with the intention of early one year pull in on the lease. ( presuming that I ever get my 21 off Stop Sale. - been in the port for over a month!)...

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tend to agree with most people in this topic. At some point enough is enough. And that point has come now for me. At 47 years old and with the purchase of ly first new Porsche I'm stopping the money slurping changing cars every 24 months or so. I'm sticking with this car for 6 to 8 years.

The car is great and works for me. It will also still be a beautifull looking and fast car in 5 years time. And yes, EV tech will evolve, but let's not exagerate, it's not because Elon tweets something to raise Tesla stock value before his yearly bonus calculation that "half the weight, double the capacity" batteries are just around the corner.

The Taycan will remain a creat car and who knows, might indeed become desirable as the first car of a new era.
I agree. They will become collectable. The first electric Porsche and built during a world wide pandemic.

Garry Crook

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
New battery technology is coming, but it will only be many years later to fully understand how good these batteries are and how much of the goodie is coming to the customer vs improving manufactures profits.

If you like your Taycan, you can keep it for years to come. The current battery is top-notch and will be highly desirable on the secondhand market for many years to come.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tend to agree with most people in this topic. At some point enough is enough. And that point has come now for me. At 47 years old and with the purchase of ly first new Porsche I'm stopping the money slurping changing cars every 24 months or so. I'm sticking with this car for 6 to 8 years.

The car is great and works for me. It will also still be a beautifull looking and fast car in 5 years time. And yes, EV tech will evolve, but let's not exagerate, it's not because Elon tweets something to raise Tesla stock value before his yearly bonus calculation that "half the weight, double the capacity" batteries are just around the corner.

The Taycan will remain a creat car and who knows, might indeed become desirable as the first car of a new era.
Yep, same here... I'm the long term relationship type with cars. Every car I've owned, it has been pretty much for the "usable" life of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I had to let go of the Model S because the battery warranty was about to expire. The transaction was a bitter/sweet victory, I guess; sad to let go of the car but happy to find a buyer who likes to take care of vehicles. Unless the newer Taycans come out with good software upgrades as mentioned here, longer range and other must-have bells and whistles, my car will be sticking around for a while before I begin contemplating a trade-in.

Last edited:

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Longest I have kept a car is 7 years. I'm thinking 4-5 for this one. As I get older there are only so many more cars that I will need...

TaycanTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I spent more time than I care to admit thinking about how crazy I was to buy mine outright vs. leasing. The lease terms were quite unfavorable, so much so that it definitely made leasing vs. buying a debate, despite the residuals.

At the end of the day, I like owning. I don't have to worry about how many miles I'm putting on the car, and I can do whatever I want with it. I guess I'm taking the risk that the battery will only last 7 years, but who knows - maybe it'll last longer, or maybe replacing them will become cheaper. One can hope, right?

Reactions: B61

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
My intention is 8-10 years. I'll be disappointed if I don't get that. I'm a Toyota Land Cruiser fan as well, and my current 911 Turbo S is going on 7 years.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61