Anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs Taycan Cross Turismo?

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
Here in the U.K. given the incredible tax breaks on EV then moving that way away from ICE is a no brainer (unless you are absolutely loaded and money no object)
You’ve got to really not care too much about cash to choose a panermera ahead of a Taycan.
At the EV top end there is only one choice to make imo, it’s either the Taycan, or the Taycan CT.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I chose not to put the car through my company but agree the incentives are there (currently) for the taking. Still doesn't change my view that the Panamera is of better quality / more luxurious / more practical and can be had as a hybrid. I didn't want a hybrid and so Taycan it was and now I have a CT slot booked for Nov'22 (pretty much 12 month waiting list now for any Porsche model due to the various supply issues).

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
I chose not to put the car through my company but agree the incentives are there (currently) for the taking. Still doesn't change my view that the Panamera is of better quality / more luxurious / more practical and can be had as a hybrid. I didn't want a hybrid and so Taycan it was and now I have a CT slot booked for Nov'22 (pretty much 12 month waiting list now for any Porsche model due to the various supply issues).
Agreed - and if I could afford it , I reckon I’d have gone for the panamera! I haven’t got into the Taycan because I’m in love with the idea of an EV - it’s because it made sense financially to me.
In fact I’m nervous as hell about the EV side of things I don’t know if it will suit me or if I can cope with the hassle! ???

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Unless you absolutely need the range of an ICE (and discounting availability) why would someone pick a Panamera over a better performing, cheaper Taycan CT?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Agreed - and if I could afford it , I reckon I’d have gone for the panamera! I haven’t got into the Taycan because I’m in love with the idea of an EV - it’s because it made sense financially to me.
In fact I’m nervous as hell about the EV side of things I don’t know if it will suit me or if I can cope with the hassle! ???
You will enjoy it and don't take to heart everything quoted on this forum. For sure we've all had issues with our Taycans and for those of us who are new to EVs in general have a new way of living with an EV to learn (all part of the fun). Journey's require planning (but not difficult), sensible home charging as part of the overall eco-system makes EVs work, infrastructure is improving monthly and overall you have to embrace it (the world isn't flat!).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Has anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs CT? Or, maybe you own one now and decided to switch? I get the major difference is ICE vs electric but curious to hear other thoughts.
When I bought my last car the Panamera ST PEV was the one I expected to get, I preferred it to the S-class PEV but it still felt a bit cumbersome and huge and EV range and performance not as good as the Prius PEV I actually chose (budget was not the principle choice parameter). So much so I was reluctant to test the Taycan CT because it is very nearly as big and heavy, I wish I had tried earlier :) it is as different as chalk and cheese.
If has the throttle response of a NA Ferrari in the optimum gear, a ride in normal mode plenty good enough to be considered a luxury car, quiet and yet the handling feels as nimble and responsive as a sports car.
For what I look for in a car it has everything, and I have never found that in a single car before. It is replacing two cars.
The only thing I don't like is its width and that is the only thing which made me think twice.

I also didn't much like the styling of the Panamera and love the Taycan, though I have gone with a CT because of my dog.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Unless you absolutely need the range of an ICE (and discounting availability) why would someone pick a Panamera over a better performing, cheaper Taycan CT?
Have you ever owned a Panamera - particularly the Sport Turismo? If not, then that may explain it as both are different propositions (very similar size) currently and if the Taycan doesn't effectively replace the Panamera (I suspect it will) then the wider / niche choice is good for all in my view.

Performance isn't a decider for everyone and actually the Panamera ST4 is £3K cheaper entry level than the Taycan CT4. Interior is a step above and with the rear 2 seat option definitively more comfortable.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When I bought my last car the Panamera ST PEV was the one I expected to get, I preferred it to the S-class PEV but it still felt a bit cumbersome and huge and EV range and performance not as good as the Prius PEV I actually chose (budget was not the principle choice parameter). So much so I was reluctant to test the Taycan CT because it is very nearly as big and heavy, I wish I had tried earlier :) it is as different as chalk and cheese.
If has the throttle response of a NA Ferrari in the optimum gear, a ride in normal mode plenty good enough to be considered a luxury car, quiet and yet the handling feels as nimble and responsive as a sports car.
For what I look for in a car it has everything, and I have never found that in a single car before. It is replacing two cars.
The only thing I don't like is its width and that is the only thing which made me think twice.

I also didn't much like the styling of the Panamera and love the Taycan, though I have gone with a CT because of my dog.
Pana ST is not as wide as the Taycan (I had to replace my garage doors to get the Taycan in and was fine (tight) with the Pana ST). The front haunches are the widest part.

CT is the better choice in the Taycan (IMHO) but had hoped the ST variant would appear first and save us the Audi A4 / A6 Merc C-Class (new) All Road look where the Achilles heal remains as the plastic wheel arches.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Pana ST is not as wide as the Taycan (I had to replace my garage doors to get the Taycan in and was fine (tight) with the Pana ST). The front haunches are the widest part.

CT is the better choice in the Taycan (IMHO) but had hoped the ST variant would appear first and save us the Audi A4 / A6 Merc C-Class (new) All Road look where the Achilles heal remains as the plastic wheel arches.
I agree, the "all road" look is almost a deal breaker, but I am an old bloke and the roads round here in terrible condition, I was super impressed by the ride of the CT and wonder if it is inevitably better than the 20mm lower standard car. The B roads in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire (where we have family) are almost all better than the A roads here in Oxfordshire!
You are worrying me about the width.
Nowhere I normally park was wide enough to comfortably get out of the Panamera I tried :(
Maybe I was so impressed by the Taycan overall it blinded me to this major problem.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I agree, the "all road" look is almost a deal breaker, but I am an old bloke and the roads round here in terrible condition, I was super impressed by the ride of the CT and wonder if it is inevitably better than the 20mm lower standard car. The B roads in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire (where we have family) are almost all better than the A roads here in Oxfordshire!
You are worrying me about the width.
Nowhere I normally park was wide enough to comfortably get out of the Panamera I tried :(
Maybe I was so impressed by the Taycan overall it blinded me to this major problem.
Borrow the demonstrator and try it out for size. Taycan is wider with the mirrors folded (21mm).

I'm sure it will be fine and the 360 Pano cameras (side view) help enormously.

Porsche Taycan Anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs Taycan Cross Turismo? 1631528358307

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Here the pricing is approx.: Panamera 4 e-hybrid ST 127k€, Panamera 4 ST 166k€, Taycan 4 CT 100k€. Options are also cheaper on EV (less tax according to CO2 emissions).

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Has anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs CT? Or, maybe you own one now and decided to switch? I get the major difference is ICE vs electric but curious to hear other thoughts.
Nope. I’ve got it covered with a Macan for hauling and a Taycan fir fun.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I should also have mentioned the cost and availability differences between the two cars as well.
In Australia, Panamera 4 Hybrid optioned to a similar level my my Taycan 4S would be about A$100,000 more (say US$70,000). Also, Panamera now very much a niche model, so no dealer has a demo (at least none in Sydney) and essentially you have to order and hope it will be all that you expect to drive.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Have you ever owned a Panamera - particularly the Sport Turismo? If not, then that may explain it as both are different propositions (very similar size) currently and if the Taycan doesn't effectively replace the Panamera (I suspect it will) then the wider / niche choice is good for all in my view.

Performance isn't a decider for everyone and actually the Panamera ST4 is £3K cheaper entry level than the Taycan CT4. Interior is a step above and with the rear 2 seat option definitively more comfortable.
It looks significantly (30k) more expensive in Switzerland.

Correction 12k more for ST4. 30k more for Hybrid ST4. Taycan looks much better value than Panamera to me for similar sized car

Porsche Taycan Anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs Taycan Cross Turismo? F4223316-5D53-43CF-BB03-DA2BB9A600AE
Sponsored

Last edited: