Anyone tried charging F 150 Lightning with Porsche wall charger?

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
I have a Lightning on order(no idea when I will get it). Wondering if anyone has real world info on whether my PWCC will charge it? I have it on a 100 amp circuit so it is charging at 80a which is the same rate as the charger that comes with the Lightning.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a Lightning on order(no idea when I will get it). Wondering if anyone has real world info on whether my PWCC will charge it? I have it on a 100 amp circuit so it is charging at 80a which is the same rate as the charger that comes with the Lightning.
I can't see why it wouldn't. Standard EVSE to car cable. You may have to permit access via the PWCC as per PMCC if security has been enabled.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it should work - I give it a 90% chance of working - if it does not work however I will not be surprised and Porsche's historical response to compatibility problems with their EVSE and other EV's is to not care.

if it works you'll be good - if it doesn't it would be surprising for Porsche to resolve the issue so you'd need to invest in an alternate EVSE

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
OK thanks. I am hopeful! I did find a member of the F150 lightning forum who has a Ticon and lightning. Waiting to hear what he has to say. Will report back.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
OK thanks. I am hopeful! I did find a member of the F150 lightning forum who has a Ticon and lightning. Waiting to hear what he has to say. Will report back.
*Taycan.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
FWIW: the porsche charger would not link with my Ipace. it would get hung up connecting to the car. with all the other issues with the porsche charger I have tossed it into a closet and use an old tesla charger with an adaptor for charging the cars.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Now that you've had it for a few weeks, what do you think of the Ford F-150 Lightning? How about in comparison to your Taycan?
The Taycan is my wife’s car and the car that we take when we go somewhere together. The lightning is mine. This is my fourth F150, but first electric truck. it’s a lariat model, which is not quite top-of-the-line but close. Sticker price was about $500 below the $80,000 threshold so I was able to get the $7500 tax credit. The platinum trim extended range lightnings sticker in the high 80s and are not eligible for the $7500 tax credit so I don’t think there’s gonna be a lot of demand for those. There was also an additional $7500 in cash available from Ford in December when I took delivery so I feel like I got a pretty good deal on my truck. I’m in residential construction and a truck works well for my use. I’m coming out of a 2020 lariat, FX4 with 5.0 V8. Comparing the lightning to the last F150 seems almost unfair. It has more features, is more comfortable, handles better, and is crazy fast. I challenged her to a drag race, but I think she’s afraid that the truck will beat the Porsche in a straight line! My lightning is the extended range which is supposed to have 320 mile capability. I’m seeing about 300 real world which drops to 280 when it’s cold. Apart from the fact that the center console lift up lid will not stay in place and slams shut (This took 10 minutes to repair and four nickels under the springs. Seriously - Google it )I can’t think of anything I don’t like about the truck. Some things require getting used to such as the touchscreen in lieu of knobs but overall, it’s pretty intuitive. It also seems to have more pronounced rake than my last F150 but I have 2 inch leveling front shocks ordered and thats just a matter of personal preference anyway. It really does handle pretty well – certainly better than my last F150.

The Taycan was our first EV as well as our first Porsche. Her previous car was a Mercedes SL, and we had a number of Benzs and Bimmers before that. With the exception of a BMW M3 that we had years ago the Taycan is a far superior handling car. One thing that I’m not particularly impressed with the Taycan is the fit and finish of the car. it has quite a few rattles and the fact that the passenger side seatbelt bangs against the door when the driver side window is down makes me crazy. Also the front windshield is way too pitted given the low mileage. But step on the gas coming out of a corner and it’s heavenly!

As far as comparing the two – they both drive like EV’s, fast and quiet but that’s about the extent of the similarities – one’s a truck made by Ford and the other is a Porsche. We also have a 20-year-old Mercedes E class station wagon that I bought from a little old lady and I won’t ever sell that. The dog is not allowed in the Porsche so that’s the dog car. That’s also our road trip car until charging in the wild becomes more reliable. That being said, I think we won’t be purchasing anything but EVs moving forward. Hope this helps.
Sponsored