Anyone tried charging their Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger?

Mike991GER

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
😳 could swear I had seen some in the app last time I checked 

But yepp, actually no charges shown
. Confused
Sponsored

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
So I did a short road trip with some friends over the weekend and I think it’s safe to say that this experience has cemented my opinion that the Supercharger network is just vastly superior than anything else.

We stopped at three different Superchargers here in Sweden: two V3 and one V2. Authentication was dead simple and significantly faster than even a Plug&Charge Ionity station that usually takes ages to start. The app automatically suggests a stall based on your GPS position, you tap start charging and the car starts charging within seconds.

I was a bit afraid that the length of the charging cable would be a problem, but it turns out that at least at the locations we tried, this isn’t a problem at all. The cable for any of the 20+ chargers per location was long enough to reach the car with ease. Compared to essentially any other charger, the Supercharger stalls are actually designed so that it’s dead simple to park at them without having to do a quadruple point turn like many other chargers.

The charge rate isn’t amazing, typically capping at around 130 kW, but I would say that still absolutely good enough.

Comparably, we also did one stop at an Ionity station. Out of the four chargers, two were disconnected and one had a broken plug. The last one didn’t work with Plug&Charge and capped at around 190 kW for some reason after finally getting it to work after about 15 minutes.

I think it’s safe to say that I’m only going to use Superchargers if I can in the future. Charge speed is nice, but knowing that there will be 20+ open stalls in prime location that will instantly work without mess is priceless.

Hopefully Ionity will get there in a few years, but until then I’m staying with the Superchargers.
Porsche Taycan Anyone tried charging their Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger? C7F0793C-30B5-4107-BA3F-069D43BA1660

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
So I did a short road trip with some friends over the weekend and I think it’s safe to say that this experience has cemented my opinion that the Supercharger network is just vastly superior than anything else.

We stopped at three different Superchargers here in Sweden: two V3 and one V2. Authentication was dead simple and significantly faster than even a Plug&Charge Ionity station that usually takes ages to start. The app automatically suggests a stall based on your GPS position, you tap start charging and the car starts charging within seconds.

I was a bit afraid that the length of the charging cable would be a problem, but it turns out that at least at the locations we tried, this isn’t a problem at all. The cable for any of the 20+ chargers per location was long enough to reach the car with ease. Compared to essentially any other charger, the Supercharger stalls are actually designed so that it’s dead simple to park at them without having to do a quadruple point turn like many other chargers.

The charge rate isn’t amazing, typically capping at around 130 kW, but I would say that still absolutely good enough.

Comparably, we also did one stop at an Ionity station. Out of the four chargers, two were disconnected and one had a broken plug. The last one didn’t work with Plug&Charge and capped at around 190 kW for some reason after finally getting it to work after about 15 minutes.

I think it’s safe to say that I’m only going to use Superchargers if I can in the future. Charge speed is nice, but knowing that there will be 20+ open stalls in prime location that will instantly work without mess is priceless.

Hopefully Ionity will get there in a few years, but until then I’m staying with the Superchargers.
C7F0793C-30B5-4107-BA3F-069D43BA1660.jpeg
Looks good! Unfortunately not all superchargers are the same. The one I tried was not usable with normal parking. I think a good tip for others that want to use it is to first check pictures on plug share how the chargers are positioned.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Charged today after depleting my battery to 15% SOC and battery preheated to 35°C at a Tesla Supercharger near Madrid with 10 V3 chargers. When I arrived there was a sole i3 and while I was charging, three model 3’s and an S started to charge. A Kia was attempting to charge but could not initiate charge. As this location is new and has been open to Non-Tesla for a few days, a Tesla engineer was standing by. He confirmed that all V2 and V3 chargers are programmed for 400V output only and will remain that way until Tesla has an 800V offering. My car started charging at a disappointing rate of 100kw and slowly maxed out at 130kw. As I suspected, that is the maximum any of us will see from a Tesla Supercharger. So basically quite a bit slower than the rest, in Europe at least. I usually see over 260 from the most powerful ones, and only 2-3% under the maximum rates for all 800V chargers.

In conclusion, I will only use these when no others are available or as a backup on my 12,000 km. trip. The price is quite steep as well, 10,71€ for 17kw.

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried charging their Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger? DAAEC5C8-61D0-4247-A1D0-791137DE045E
Porsche Taycan Anyone tried charging their Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger? 4168E592-17B1-40C1-9749-36FAB603872A
Porsche Taycan Anyone tried charging their Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger? 369635AC-B164-4760-8200-58F6AC7A162A

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Good summary of your experience. Yes it is not as cheap as our Ionity subscription, but still cheaper that Ionity with out subscription at 0.79 Euro per kWh. And my charges at Porsche centers have been about 0.57 Euro per kWh since they charge per minute as well. It is ok if the charger delivers the promised 320 or 350 kW, but when it only provides about 100 kW, it does nor feel so good. Even if their coffee is free! đŸ€·đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž
Sponsored