Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
My MY22 CT4 is not equipped with the surround view option. I am contemplating adding an aftermarket front facing camera and possibly a backup camera as well. Can anyone provide any guidance with respect to removing the front center cover? I think the part number is 9J1807823COK1.

I am trying to determine if the center cover simply snaps into place, or if it is secured from the back side with bolts. Also, Is the sensor in the recess at the top edge of the center cover an ambient temperature sensor? I believe the factory front facing camera is directly in front of this sensor so it should be safe to mount a camera directly in the middle of the top edge of the center cover.

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? TaycanFrontBumperCenterCover

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? CT4_front_center_cover.JPG

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car is not optioned with surround vision. I am learning to live with basic rear camera, but I would like to mount a WiFi camera on the center grille cover to facilitate parking at the EA stations. My experience is that the closer I park to the charger the easier it is to plug in the cable.

I have seen a few pictures of accidented Taycans where this grille cover has popped out of place. But I am having a very difficult time figuring out how to intentionally remove the cover. It's fairly easy to release the two tabs on the bottom edge. But the tabs on the top edge are a real challenge.

Is anyone able to offer some hints to remove the cover?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I broke down and ordered a spare front cover, part number 9J1807823OK1. This version is the one for cars without a front camera, ACC, or night vision. It was less than $40. Hopefully, being able to study the back side of the cover will reveal the secret to removing this part from the car. I rationalized purchasing the extra cover in case I decide to return the car to stock when I am ready to trade it in.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Love to see it when you are done. Where are you going to be able to see the camera in the cabin? Your phone or could you get it on the PCM?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Love to see it when you are done. Where are you going to be able to see the camera in the cabin? Your phone or could you get it on the PCM?
The "spare" cover has been shipped from Delaware Porsche so I should be able to tackle this project next week. The camera will display on my phone which is mounted to the edge of the console using a ProClip mount and Magsafe charger. The camera generates a 5Ghz WiFi signal which works much better than Bluetooth or 2.4Ghz WiFi. Unfortunately, using the WiFi signal means I will have to use wired CarPlay to display on the PCM screen while operating the camera. Even if I did that, the camera app is not compatible with CarPlay so it's not really feasible to display on the center dashboard screen. There is a rationale for Apple to allow the app to run in CarPlay for front facing cameras since the image will be same thing you see looking out the windshield.

My wife is with me 90% of the time I am in the car. So, one option is to display the app on her phone and use wireless CarPlay on my phone. This solution seems to be the most practical for me.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I broke down and ordered a spare front cover, part number 9J1807823OK1. This version is the one for cars without a front camera, ACC, or night vision. It was less than $40. Hopefully, being able to study the back side of the cover will reveal the secret to removing this part from the car. I rationalized purchasing the extra cover in case I decide to return the car to stock when I am ready to trade it in.
Would you mind sharing where you bought this? I see it here but listed at close to $70+ shipping.

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter...Bumper-Trim-Lower/14069866/9J1807823KOK1.html

Also is there any way you could compare the ribbing on this piece with that on the rear bumper - is the rib spacing the same?

I ask as I am actually interested in chopping up the piece to use parts of it in a re-design of my rear license plate area :)!! But, would rather pay 40 than 70 for it too! However I am not sure but I think the ribbing on the CT bumpers is different to that on the sedan front/rear.

EDIT- oops just saw your post re Delaware Porsche - I'll check it out...

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.delawareporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-trim-matt-black-9j1807823ok1

Follow this link to the Delaware parts page. They also have another view of the parts catalog that DOES NOT include discounted prices.

https://www.delawareporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-trim-matt-black-9j1807823ok1

The part number you showed was for the "K" option which is one of the more expensive versions.

You may want to wait until I receive the part I ordered so I can confirm it is the "plain" vanilla version which would give you the most material to work with for your application, The ribbing does not match the back bumper. But, I think it could be compatible.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier. Check out the below link to a thread on how to remove that piece:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...r-taycan-print-files-attached.2425/post-33525
Thank you for this reference. I tried to find another thread discussing the bumper cover without success. Unfortunately, even after knowing what to do to remove the cover, I still can't get it to budge. Hopefully, having the replacement part in hand will reveal the secret to removing it from the car.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would you mind sharing where you bought this? I see it here but listed at close to $70+ shipping.

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter...Bumper-Trim-Lower/14069866/9J1807823KOK1.html

Also is there any way you could compare the ribbing on this piece with that on the rear bumper - is the rib spacing the same?

I ask as I am actually interested in chopping up the piece to use parts of it in a re-design of my rear license plate area :)!! But, would rather pay 40 than 70 for it too! However I am not sure but I think the ribbing on the CT bumpers is different to that on the sedan front/rear.

I received the 9J1807823OK1 part from Delaware Porsche a couple days after placing the order. This part number is for the "entry" level version of the part without holes or cut outs for options. The part is about 20" long and will more or less fit in the rear license plate area. However, the shape of the part may make it awkward to attach to the rear bumper.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I received the 9J1807823OK1 part from Delaware Porsche a couple days after placing the order. This part number is for the "entry" level version of the part without holes or cut outs for options. The part is about 20" long and will more or less fit in the rear license plate area. However, the shape of the part may make it awkward to attach to the rear bumper.
Thx for the update/share - any chance you could fire offf a pic or two? In hindsight I'd prefer to replicate the 'ribbed' design on the CT but still interested to see this piece if possible (maybe with a tape measure/scale beside it to get a better understanding of rib spacing) - asking a lot I know :)

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thx for the update/share - any chance you could fire offf a pic or two? In hindsight I'd prefer to replicate the 'ribbed' design on the CT but still interested to see this piece if possible (maybe with a tape measure/scale beside it to get a better understanding of rib spacing) - asking a lot I know :)
Here are three photos of 9J1-807-823-OK1. The length and height will more or less work for your application. But the depth of the part will probably not work well.

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-OK1_length.JPG

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-OK1_heigth.JPG

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-OK1_depth.JPG

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier. Check out the below link to a thread on how to remove that piece:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...r-taycan-print-files-attached.2425/post-33525
I tried unsuccessfully to remove the bumper cover following the instructions in the link Klepper provided. It seems that my October 2021 build CT4 has a slightly differently designed center cover. I ordered part number 9J1-807-823-OK1 which was the designated part for my VIN. Even with a spare version of the part in hand I could not figure out how to remove the part. As it turns out the factory installed bumper cover was part number 9J1-807-823-M. The replacement part I ordered from Delaware Porsche did not have an "M" suffix.

I gave up and cut the cover into two pieces using a utility knife. I discovered that the two vertical alignment fins each had one "leg" with a "barb" securing it in place. After cutting the cover off I was still unable to disengage the vertical fin and carefully cut the barbed leg off from the front and pulled the small piece out from the back side.

Hopefully this information will help anyone trying to install a 3D printed front license plate bracket which requires removing the center cover. I am wondering if this part was popping out of place too easily and the "barbs" were added to keep it more secure..

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-M.JPG
Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-M_tab.JPG

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? Taycan_9J1-807-823-OK1_no_tab.JPG

Porsche Taycan Anyone tried to remove front bumper center cover? 9J1-807-823+9J1-807-823-M.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag