Anyone Understand Wireless CarPlay and Wi-Fi?

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wireless Apple CarPlay creates what appears to be a custom 5Ghz Wi-Fi connection to my phone (2021 Taycan).

I don't have the password for the 5Ghz connection or for the TAYCAN_2001 signal down below (the signal seems to enable without a password). The connection appears when the phone is in the car and I ask the PCM to use Apple CarPlay. Note it is automatically selected (check mark).

Wireless Apple CarPlay works fine even though the "TAYCAN_2001_5GHz" connection says "No Internet connection - Low Data Mode."

Anyone know how this works? This would allow using the Taycan's Wi-Fi as a hotspot, but that does not seem to be implemented.

View attachment 15967

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If you don't have the data package you won't get an internet connection from the PCM to serve as a hotspot. Not that it is necessary but this explains the warning message you have.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
The way Wireless CarPlay has been explained to me:

Wireless CarPlay uses both the Bluetooth connection and a closed WiFi network to communicate with the phone. This allows both sufficient bandwidth for data exchange (WiFi) and sufficient control protocols to exchange commands with your phone (Bluetooth).

When your phone is connected to Wireless CarPlay, the WiFi connection is only to communicate with the car. Even on a car that has hotspot functionality, your phone will use its own LTE connection to allow the phone to exchange data with internet services such as Waze or Spotify. The "No Internet Connection" notification that you have identified is appropriate, since the phone is aware that there is no access through the established WiFi connection.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Wireless Apple CarPlay creates what appears to be a custom 5Ghz Wi-Fi connection to my phone (2021 Taycan).

I don't have the password for the 5Ghz connection or for the TAYCAN_2001 signal down below (the signal seems to enable without a password). The connection appears when the phone is in the car and I ask the PCM to use Apple CarPlay. Note it is automatically selected (check mark).

Wireless Apple CarPlay works fine even though the "TAYCAN_2001_5GHz" connection says "No Internet connection - Low Data Mode."

Anyone know how this works? This would allow using the Taycan's Wi-Fi as a hotspot, but that does not seem to be implemented.

View attachment 15967
It uses the wi-fi connection to the car for the carplay functions.. the phone uses its own lte connection for calls, streaming etc.. which it sends to the car via the internal wi-fi connection

OP
OP
Mr. 2021 Taycan

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Appreciate all the input. Just logged into my Porsche account and found this:

Porsche Taycan Anyone Understand Wireless CarPlay and Wi-Fi? 1619709285453

So, the built in Wi-Fi network to run Wireless Apple CarPlay is ready to serve as a hot spot.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Makes sense that this functionality exists, but I've never understood why people would want to pay for this service.

OP
OP
Mr. 2021 Taycan

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Me either. Makes no sense if you already have a cell plan and phone,

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Appreciate all the input. Just logged into my Porsche account and found this:

1619709285453.png

So, the built in Wi-Fi network to run Wireless Apple CarPlay is ready to serve as a hot spot.
You do not need this for Apple CarPlay (wireless or otherwise). This additional service is simply if you want to use the hotspot facility to share the car’s own dedicated internet connection for other devices - tablets for example. Stream all the Apple Music and Pod Casts you want with the in-built service and LTE connection (standard and no additional charge).