Anyone with the Autel Maxicharger EVSE?

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Relatively new entry, at least in the US. Does anyone have any experience with this thing or have one?

Seems well-built, and I like the esthetic. Very comparable to the popular Chargepoint EVSEs in that it has smart functionality with wifi connectivity and can be hardwired for 50A or plug-in for 40A or lower. I watched some YouTube videos and they're all glowing reviews so far.

Incoming Taycan will be our first EV so it's time to have a home charging station installed and I was going to get a Chargepoint but they are currently backordered so this new Autel unit seems like a worthy alternative.

Porsche Taycan Anyone with the Autel Maxicharger EVSE? InBody1450_2048x2048
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Relatively new entry, at least in the US. Does anyone have any experience with this thing or have one?

Seems well-built, and I like the esthetic. Very comparable to the popular Chargepoint EVSEs in that it has smart functionality with wifi connectivity and can be hardwired for 50A or plug-in for 40A or lower. I watched some YouTube videos and they're all glowing reviews so far.

Incoming Taycan will be our first EV so it's time to have a home charging station installed and I was going to get a Chargepoint but they are currently backordered so this new Autel unit seems like a worthy alternative.

InBody1450_2048x2048.jpg
no experience here with unit you mention - but anything you purchase will be redundant to the much maligned PMC+/PMCC included with your Taycan purchase.

Technically you do not NEED an 2nd EVSE because your vehicle will be delivered with a functional EVSE - albet some issues have recently come to light…https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/page-17#post-191405

personally I now consider the Porsche product an EVSE worthy of ignoring after 2 years with it - but just want to make sure you are clear - Taycan IS delivered with a functional EVSE - but Porsche is "adjusting" them to run at 50% capacity (4.8 kW) - you can override the adjustment - but that's a pain in the ass for something used on a daily basis

so an alternate EVSE is a fine idea, but technically not necessary.

OP
OP

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, aware that the Taycan comes with an EVSE but I want to have a nicer one installed that hasn't been neutered like the Porsche one, and also I want to have the wifi smart functionality so I can set it to charge at off-peak hours only when rates are lower. Also, I like the smart functionality so that I can basically disable the EVSE remotely when I'm not using it - I live in a condo building with a shared basement parking garage but my EVSE would be metered to my unit's electricity service. While I generally trust my neighbors to not steal my juice, the reality is I don't trust anyone :)

Both the Chargepoint home flex and this new Autel unit have this functionality.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I ordered this and returned it without ever trying it. The wall outlet pigtail is super short (too short for my configuration). The wires were all nice and heavy gauge so you should feel confident giving it a shot if you can deal with the short pigtail.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
@masmole - do you have the ability to hardwire the Autel EVSE ?

I have the ChargePoint HomeFlex and a Tesla Wall connector. I can't believe the pricing for the ChargePoint Home Flex now. When I got it last year, I paid only $600 or so.

Our ChargePoint homeflex has been randomly going offline the last month. I called ChargePoint Tech Support and they said the problem is not on our end, but with their servers.

I'm looking to replace the Tesla Wall connector with a different hardwired EVSE and had not considered the Autel until your post. Thanks !

OP
OP

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@masmole - do you have the ability to hardwire the Autel EVSE ?

I have the ChargePoint HomeFlex and a Tesla Wall connector. I can't believe the pricing for the ChargePoint Home Flex now. When I got it last year, I paid only $600 or so.

Our ChargePoint homeflex has been randomly going offline the last month. I called ChargePoint Tech Support and they said the problem is not on our end, but with their servers.

I'm looking to replace the Tesla Wall connector with a different hardwired EVSE and had not considered the Autel until your post. Thanks !
Yes, the Autel has a 50A model for $600 USD that‘s for hardwire install. The 40A plug-in models come in NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 variants for $550 with one variant currently discounted to $450 on amazon at the time of this post. A bargain!

Crazy how prices on the Chargepoint has spiked because of limited availability and increased popularity due to good reviews on the internet. This is one of the reasons I’m considering the Autel. Because it‘s relatively new to the EVSE game, nobody really knows about it, so they’re readily available (for now) and priced reasonably (for now). Someone on youtube opened up the Autel revealing a high quality circuit board and components with good heat sink design. Seems like a very thoughtfully designed and well built unit.

I just went ahead and ordered the 16-50 plug-in version from amazon so I can at least show it to my electrician. If it doesn’t work out, there’s always amazon’s generous return policy.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yes, the Autel has a 50A model for $600 USD that‘s for hardwire install. The 40A plug-in models come in NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 variants for $550 with one variant currently discounted to $450 on amazon at the time of this post. A bargain!

Crazy how prices on the Chargepoint has spiked because of limited availability and increased popularity due to good reviews on the internet. This is one of the reasons I’m considering the Autel. Because it‘s relatively new to the EVSE game, nobody really knows about it, so they’re readily available (for now) and priced reasonably (for now). Someone on youtube opened up the Autel revealing a high quality circuit board and components with good heat sink design. Seems like a very thoughtfully designed and well built unit.

I just went ahead and ordered the 16-50 plug-in version from amazon so I can at least show it to my electrician. If it doesn’t work out, there’s always amazon’s generous return policy.
Yes a shame re ChargePoint price increases - I got in early so got a great deal and it has been 100% seamless. WiFi and all - mines hardwired and getting consistent 10.4-10.5 kw to the car when charging.

Porsche Taycan Anyone with the Autel Maxicharger EVSE? IMG_7444.JPG

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Yes a shame re ChargePoint price increases - I got in early so got a great deal and it has been 100% seamless. WiFi and all - mines hardwired and getting consistent 10.4-10.5 kw to the car when charging.
Does the J1772 plug reach the back of the Mini Cooper SE to charge with the unit mounted where it is in the pic ? I have never un-wound mine all the way since it's directly next to the Taycan charge port.

I guess I am copying you, because our Taycan CT4 will soon be joined by a 2023 Mini Cooper SE Iconic that just dispatched from the factory on its way to the Port of Southampton.

Currently have a Tesla Wall Connector right across where the Mini charge port is, but just got the Autel 50 amp unit on Amazon's lighting deal for $119.80 off regular price.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Does the J1772 plug reach the back of the Mini Cooper SE to charge with the unit mounted where it is in the pic ? I have never un-wound mine all the way since it's directly next to the Taycan charge port.

I guess I am copying you, because our Taycan CT4 will soon be joined by a 2023 Mini Cooper SE Iconic that just dispatched from the factory on its way to the Port of Southampton.

Currently have a Tesla Wall Connector right across where the Mini charge port is, but just got the Autel 50 amp unit on Amazon's lighting deal for $119.80 off regular price.
Yes it will reach in our setup - I actually have another plug prepped (see above teh Mini sign in my garage pic) and setup to charge with a separate EVSE if needed too. That I I have an extension cord that adds another 20ft of extension that I already tested with no adverse effects (i.e. overheating etc).

Kranky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacycan CT Incoming
Country flag
Just ordered the Autel on Cyber Monday for 20% off at Amazon.com

Scheduled to be delivered 12/5.

--K
Sponsored