IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
1. Is my Apple Music account accessible only via Apple Car Play, or can I access it via the music icon in PCM?

2. if it can be accessed through PCM, how do I set that up, and specifically can my Apple Music playlists be designated as favorites- same as I can designate FM/XM channels as favorites?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
1. Is my Apple Music account accessible only via Apple Car Play, or can I access it via the music icon in PCM?

2. if it can be accessed through PCM, how do I set that up, and specifically can my Apple Music playlists be designated as favorites- same as I can designate FM/XM channels as favorites?
0. Your dealer should have set this up for you.

1. No for Apple Carplay and Yes for PCM (via Media option).

2. Yes. Apple Music and Apple Podcasts will appear in the Media section once registered and linked. See attached doc for guidance.

3. Porsche Good To Know App is also worth exploring.

Attachments

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
First, you have to already be an Apple Music subscriber. Second, when you touch the Apple Music icon, you'll receive a “preparing registration” prompt on the PCM display. (By the way, the car can't be in motion during any of this, it must be parked and in an area of good cell coverage.) Finally, after several seconds, a QR code will appear on the PCM for you to scan with your iPhone. Your iPhone will the prompt you to sign in with your Apple ID and password. One more thing, it's important to enable Apple Music (and Apple Podcasts) through your My Porsche web page. There's a toggle there to turn that on.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
First, you have to already be an Apple Music subscriber. Second, when you touch the Apple Music icon, you'll receive a “preparing registration” prompt on the PCM display. (By the way, the car can't be in motion during any of this, it must be parked and in an area of good cell coverage.) Finally, after several seconds, a QR code will appear on the PCM for you to scan with your iPhone. Your iPhone will the prompt you to sign in with your Apple ID and password. One more thing, it's important to enable Apple Music (and Apple Podcasts) through your My Porsche web page. There's a toggle there to turn that on.
Cn you elaborate on this as I'm not clear on your response. Yes I am already an Apple Music subscriber, so can I bring that subscription into my PCM without first enabling Apple Car Play?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Cn you elaborate on this as I'm not clear on your response. Yes I am already an Apple Music subscriber, so can I bring that subscription into my PCM without first enabling Apple Car Play?
Yes.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
I've looked up this topic online and in YouTube, and everything I see relates to signing up for a new Apple Music account, so I'm still looking for advice how to add my existing account to PCM

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've looked up this topic online and in YouTube, and everything I see relates to signing up for a new Apple Music account, so I'm still looking for advice how to add my existing account to PCM
As you already have an Apple Music account, first log in to your My Porsche web page, click on your Taycan and scroll down the page to My Connect Services and Configurable Services. Click on Apple Music and sign in with your Apple ID and password there. Do the same with Apple Podcasts too.

Now, go to your Taycan and make sure you're parked where there is decent cellular reception, touch the red Apple Music icon on the PCM and wait as it says preparing registration. When the QR code pops up on the PCM, scan the code with your iPhone’s camera. A web site will appear on your phone asking you to sign in again with your Apple ID and password. You should be good to go after that. If you want Apple Podcasts, you follow exactly the same procedure.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
As you already have an Apple Music account, first log in to your My Porsche web page, click on your Taycan and scroll down the page to My Connect Services and Configurable Services. Click on Apple Music and sign in with your Apple ID and password there. Do the same with Apple Podcasts too.

Now, go to your Taycan and make sure you're parked where there is decent cellular reception, touch the red Apple Music icon on the PCM and wait as it says preparing registration. When the QR code pops up on the PCM, scan the code with your iPhone’s camera. A web site will appear on your phone asking you to sign in again with your Apple ID and password. You should be good to go after that. If you want Apple Podcasts, you follow exactly the same procedure.
Brilliant, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks very much!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Read the document I sent.

Link your existing Apple Music account on My Porsche web site to your Porsche Connect ID and to continue with one and the same account.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Read the document I sent.

Link your existing Apple Music account on My Porsche web site to your Porsche Connect ID and to continue with one and the same account.
thanks I looked at that document, but it seemed to give instructions for creating a new account instead of logging in with an existing account. Admittedly perhaps I just didn't understand those instructions

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Do you lose access to native Apple Music after your Porsche connect subscription expires?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you lose access to native Apple Music after your Porsche connect subscription expires?
You do because Porsche will no longer pay for the data connection it is relying on.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
You do because Porsche will no longer pay for the data connection it is relying on.
Right, but that assumes you are taking advantage of the three month free Apple Music offer. In my case which was the original question I already have an Apple Music subscription, so hopefully it will continue to be accessible.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, but that assumes you are taking advantage of the three month free Apple Music offer. In my case which was the original question I already have an Apple Music subscription, so hopefully it will continue to be accessible.
The built in PCM Apple Music player will not work in this situation:

a] You have an active Apple Music subscription
b] You do not have an active Porsche Connect subscription

This is because the built-in PCM player will have no data connection it can use to stream the Apple music data.

However, if you have an active Apple Music subscription and an iPhone you can use CarPlay which by-passes the built in PCM Player and uses your phones data connection. CarPlay does not use the cars data connection therefore the status of your Porsche Connect subscription is irrelevant.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
The built in PCM Apple Music player will not work in this situation:

a] You have an active Apple Music subscription
b] You do not have an active Porsche Connect subscription

This is because the built-in PCM player will have no data connection it can use to stream the Apple music data.

However, if you have an active Apple Music subscription and an iPhone you can use CarPlay which by-passes the built in PCM Player and uses your phones data connection. CarPlay does not use the cars data connection therefore the status of your Porsche Connect subscription is irrelevant.
Got it. So if I play my Apple Music subscription through car play then I can't access playlists from PCM nor set PCM favorites in my Apple Music. Correct?
Sponsored