Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons?

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
I currently use Apple Music via CarPlay and when it works it’s great, but CarPlay can be hit and miss as to whether or not it decides to connect.

Are there any benefits to login into Apple Music via the PCM and using it this way instead?

Do you need to purchase the overpriced (in the UK) data plan to get this to work, or does it use your mobile phone as a hotspot for this purpose?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Are there any benefits to login into Apple Music via the PCM and using it this way instead?
Unless Porsche have special private APIs into Apple Music – and they might but I suspect they don't – then Apple Lossless audio files are not yet accessible via the public APIs that Apple have published.

If true – and its an educated speculation on my part – then the audio source for the native PCM Apple Music might not be as high a quality – yet – as CarPlay via USB.

If you want the best quality via CarPlay – you should use the wired USB connection and not wireless CarPlay. But this is only if you're fussy and many (most) people are not able to hear the difference – especially in a car environment.

Do you need to purchase the overpriced (in the UK) data plan to get this to work, or does it use your mobile phone as a hotspot for this purpose?
No, the native Apple Music PCM player will use the car's Porsche Connect Services connection. Meaning that Porsche are paying for the data to be streamed to your car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless Porsche have special private APIs into Apple Music – and they might but I suspect they don't – then Apple Lossless audio files are not yet accessible via the public APIs that Apple have published.

If true – and its an educated speculation on my part – then the audio source for the native PCM Apple Music might not be as high a quality – yet – as CarPlay via USB.

If you want the best quality via CarPlay – you should use the wired USB connection and not wireless CarPlay. But this is only if you're fussy and many (most) people are not able to hear the difference – especially in a car environment.

> Do you need to purchase the overpriced (in the UK) data plan to get this to work, or does it use your mobile phone as a hotspot for this purpose?

No, the native Apple Music PCM player will use the car's Porsche Connect Services connection. Meaning that Porsche are paying for the data to be streamed to your car.
Tigerblam, perfect reply - thank you.

Yep, I’m using CarPlay via USB at the moment to play lossless files. I’m in the minority who should be able to hear the difference, as my ears are fairly well-trained having dabbled with audio production for many years.

However, I simply can’t in the Taycan! This leads me to suspect that the either something is downsampling the files within the PCM, the DACs in the Taycan aren’t great, or my hearing is ageing with me!

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I sometimes forget my phone, so native Apple Music helps. Also sometimes use it to be able to use a touchpad when driving, as touchpad doesn’t work with CarPlay content.

OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also wonder about battery degradation on my iPhone. Plugged in all the time is not great for battery longevity!

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
I also wonder about battery degradation on my iPhone. Plugged in all the time is not great for battery longevity!
The iPhone has its own battery management. I would not worry too much about that.

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag

Yep, I’m using CarPlay via USB at the moment to play lossless files. I’m in the minority who should be able to hear the difference, as my ears are fairly well-trained having dabbled with audio production for many years.

However, I simply can’t in the Taycan! This leads me to suspect that the either something is downsampling the files within the PCM, the DACs in the Taycan aren’t great, or my hearing is ageing with me!
My assumption is that the 320 kbit/s max bit rate eliminates the need to use the USB connection as the wireless protocol will be able to deliver this bit rate as well?

Porsche Taycan Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons? CAA2937E-ABA6-4421-901E-6EBE29B9B56C

OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The iPhone has its own battery management. I would not worry too much about that.
I did think that but I see it will happily charge to 100% every time. I’m sure those engineers at Apple HQ know what they are doing, so like you say, I won’t worry about it!

OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My assumption is that the 320 kbit/s max bit rate eliminates the need to use the USB connection as the wireless protocol will be able to deliver this bit rate as well?

CAA2937E-ABA6-4421-901E-6EBE29B9B56C.jpeg
Good spot.
That could well be a factor.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My thoughts on preferring wired/USB CarPlay over wireless CarPlay is that the iPhone uses a different audio codec depending on which connection is in use.

From Apple[1] :

Porsche Taycan Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons? Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 10.10.44

When using wired its using liner pulse code modulation – a lossless codec, whereas when the connection is wireless CarPlay uses low-complexity AAC (LC-ACC) which is a lossy codec.

Therefore it is not possible to play Apple Music Lossless via wireless CarPlay and this appears to be backed up in this Apple FAQ: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT212183

Porsche Taycan Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons? Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 10.19.11

===============================

[1] https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...722/722_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
My thoughts on preferring wired/USB CarPlay over wireless CarPlay is that the iPhone uses a different audio codec depending on which connection is in use.

From Apple[1] :

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 10.10.44.png

When using wired its using liner pulse code modulation – a lossless codec, whereas when the connection is wireless CarPlay uses low-complexity AAC (LC-ACC) which is a lossy codec.

Therefore it is not possible to play Apple Music Lossless via wireless CarPlay and this appears to be backed up in this Apple FAQ: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT212183

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 10.19.11.png

===============================

[1] https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...722/722_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf
Great post - I did not know that. Thanks!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did think that but I see it will happily charge to 100% every time. I’m sure those engineers at Apple HQ know what they are doing, so like you say, I won’t worry about it!
Make sure battery management is active on your device.

Go to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health.

Ensure "Optimised Battery Charging" is active.

Porsche Taycan Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons? IMG_7362.PNG

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag

Firstly make sure 100% it's using connecting via USB rather then wireless. I had the same problem when I got my car recently. I can usually tell the difference wireless and wired but for reason in the Taycan I couldn't notice a difference. Bit of investigating I found even when connecting via USB it was still wireless carplay rather than wired. Went into the PCM and turned both the wifi and bluetooth off in the car so now only able to connect Carplay using a USB. There are 2 definate ways to know it's connected via wired is first your home/lock screen screen on your Iphone should change to say Apple Carplay and second while playing music disconnect the USB and music should stop. If it doesn't then car is connected using wireless not wired.

OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Make sure battery management is active on your device.

Go to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health.

Ensure "Optimised Battery Charging" is active.

IMG_7362.PNG
Thank you!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
other than the setting noted above - cell phones and most small battery consumer electronics have no “battery management” - and replacement cost of the battery is an insignificant cost vs. other device components - vs. a vehicle where the battery is one of, if not the, major cost of the vehicle.

battery replacement for an iPhone (or laptop) is affordable and will do wonders for your device every 2 or 3 years in terms of optimizing device performance.

don’t worry about your cell phone battery, but also consider replacing them after 2 years, certainly after 3 years - they are fundementially a cosumable - and can be replace for less than $100 or even possibly less than $50…
Sponsored