bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Unless you actually have a possessed, purple glowing Merc in your garage, it looks like your camera isn’t working properly. Maybe an issue with the IR filters (although I really don’t know what I’m talking about). Anyway, the video shouldn’t look like that with a clean camera so you should definitely get your dealer to sort it out.
:D Well the brake lights are on since I'm taking a picture of the screen and I'm still in reverse and both of those lights are pretty bright, but it seems the camera doesn't really handle the contrast very well.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Have you tried this?
2021-01-12_11.33.35.jpg

I tried to uncheck it but the next day it's checked again... :mad:
Seems like a bug as other owners don't have this problem.
At their cars it stays unchecked.
I have the same problem. The Park Assist drives me crazy. This is by far the biggest problem I have with the car. I wish they could simply add another tick box:

Porsche Taycan are all rear cameras this bad? 1610702020088

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
:D Well the brake lights are on since I'm taking a picture of the screen and I'm still in reverse and both of those lights are pretty bright, but it seems the camera doesn't really handle the contrast very well.
Ah, that makes sense. The ghost Merc is just in my garage then.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Unless you actually have a possessed, purple glowing Merc in your garage, it looks like your camera isn’t working properly. Maybe an issue with the IR filters (although I really don’t know what I’m talking about). Anyway, the video shouldn’t look like that with a clean camera so you should definitely get your dealer to sort it out.
Brake lights?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Reflection from brake lights or rear light. Camera not great but as said ok if camera lense clean.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Thanks all, I knew about lens cleaning but I find it doesn't make much difference. This is after wiping with a cloth:

IMG_3912.JPG

so marginally better I suppose.
Your camera is not sealed properly. Take it back to the dealer.

Don't ever use a cleaning cloth as you'll mark it with micro scratches and they WILL make it look just like that over time. Only ever use the washing function you see above the back camera icon.

K777

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a BMW 6 Series before my Macan and the rear view camera lens was always clean because it was concealed behind a revolving BMW badge. Really neat design that it’s disappointing Porsche and others haven’t adopted.
The Macan lens is above the rear number plate and gets caked in grime at this time of year, rendering it useless at the end of a journey.

Shame the Taycan appears to be as bad when so much else has been well thought through.
I had a 2011 BMW 640 9 years ago and its surround camera was fantastic, not just reversing, but view down from the mirrors - you could see your tyres next to a curb easily, and the cameras at the side of the front bumpers/fenders were brilliant for peaking out at a very blind junction.

My Panamera's surround view camera where fine, almost as good as the 6 series.

The Taycan's is shit. You shouldn't have to get out to clean it before you use it. You cannot see the wheels, but can just about make out lines in a parking space, and you should be able to use it at night too.
Really no thought has gone into the camera at all, other than the gimmick of it giving a perspective from the side, which is not a lot of use in most situations.

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I had a 2011 BMW 640 9 years ago and its surround camera was fantastic, not just reversing, but view down from the mirrors - you could see your tyres next to a curb easily, and the cameras at the side of the front bumpers/fenders were brilliant for peaking out at a very blind junction.

The Taycan's is shit. You shouldn't have to get out to clean it before you use it. You cannot see the wheels, but can just about make out lines in a parking space, and you should be able to use it at night too.
Really no thought has gone into the camera at all, other than the gimmick of it giving a perspective from the side, which is not a lot of use in most situations.
Totally agree !

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche have agreed to replace the rear camera under warranty. The dealer had the car in and said it was significantly worse than the other Taycans they have there. Success!

russw

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Cayman S
Country flag
I really hope Porsche addresses this in the coming years. My 2015 Macan rear camera (replaced once in 2016 by dealer and got slightly better) is very poor quality as soon as the light level gets low. Almost unusable- can't see important details well. In daylight it's fine. My old 2013 Prius camera was so much better and wasn't a $1500 option.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rear camera replaced by Porsche under warranty.
Unfortunately my NS front alloy managed to get scuffed during the return process somehow but the dealer has offered to repair it FOC. So it’s back there again next week!

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the same experience. Even when clearned it’s useless. And it’s getting very easily dirty. I have asked for a replacement, but not sure if it will help. I will let you know if it gets any better.

Attachments

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
This camera is a joke. Turning the camera angle with the steering wheel is NOT a good idea, and having it in a fisheye mode is also horrible.. I have a Mercedes too and its camera is something else.. it allows parking very precisely without wondering if you are going to scruff the rims.. Does anyone know if Porsche has any plans to update the software or if there are3rd party add-ons that fix this problem>

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

Man beginning to not look forward to using these cameras - my BMW M4 has excellent cameras prob akin to the 6 series (only niggle was not having enough of an angled view in front center to see where your expensive 3rd party CF front lip was relative to curb) but side and rear views of wheel rims excellent. Weirdly having seen the front view camera in a friend's CT it does a better job than the M4 of seeing the front bumper but TBH had not had a chance to see the reverse camera performance - sounds dismal!
Sponsored

Reactions: B61