SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
I've been given the green light by SWMBO to go PTS and change my GTS order to Dark Olive because it's less flashy 🙂

Curious if a PTS Porsche would resell at a better price due to its rarity and help justify the cost?
Sponsored

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
As far as PCP standard residuals go the answer is nope - no options are included in final payment value.

But IMO in reality the answer is yes - PTS cars a rarer and hence have a premium. the colour choice narrows the market - but once hooked, a buyer will A) travel to get what they want; and B) pay more for uniqueness

also IMHO, Porsche owners like to stand out and be noticed - quite a few never get chance to use the car's full sports potential - So, it's more about showing off (being honest here) - than buying track speed.

cheers

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Logic would suggest yes, but only if the colour is desirable. Choose mahogany metallic and possibly not. One big reason I am considering it is where it potentially bumps you straight up the wait list where PTS orders are prioritised because of the limited build slots.

However, not sure I would opt for a dark PTS colour and on the GTS. Dark Olive would end up looking black in some light, and wouldn't pop unless it's really sunny - unusual in the UK and this summer we had an unusual treat. Next summer will probably be a wash out.

It's at that point too close to black, which costs £0.

My general rule for a PTS colour is does it look similar to a standard colour?

If the answer is yes, I don't choose it.

If it is:
  1. Unique
  2. Other Taycan owners would know it's unique without a second glance
  3. Genuinely attractive
Then that is what makes my PTS shortlist.

I find scrolling through Google image search, quickly looking at multiple photos at different angles, on different models and in different light useful to decide on a PTS colour.

On this topic, I am enquiring about the Cayman EV because I want to make that extra special if I do get one. I already know the colour I want but it would be PTS PLUS (£12k) and require Porsche HQ sign off.

Keeping that one quiet as I am quite sure it would at the very least cost me £0 when it comes to selling it, bumping the second hand value that much higher... I think.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
I've been given the green light by SWMBO to go PTS and change my GTS order to Dark Olive because it's less flashy 🙂

Curious if a PTS Porsche would resell at a better price due to its rarity and help justify the cost?
Congrats on getting the green light! I think it can go either way, for example Acid Green or Rubystone Red may not be everyone’s cup of tea (I do really like acid green though) so could actually be harder to sell. It’s the same sort of principle with things like black leather seats being an easier sell than say blackberry.

End of the day though, I would not go in with the mindset of getting PTS to increase resale value. It’s an expensive option and really comes down to indulgence..which with it being a Porsche and if it doesn’t break the bank or mean missing out on any “must have” options then why not!

My guess though is after say a 3 year period it may add at most a grand on the price…if it’s a colour in demand, else it could go the other way if it’s so unique that it makes it hard to sell.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
As the resident crazy who ordered Acid Green PTS, I fully expect it to cause my car to lose value when selling, and I'm 100% okay with that because I got the color I wanted. If I want to spend the time finding the perfect buyer, I can probably get more for it, but I'd also be the one putting in several hours of time/effort to find that person, with that time being more valuable than the extra money in my mind at least.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As the resident crazy who ordered Acid Green PTS, I fully expect it to cause my car to lose value when selling, and I'm 100% okay with that because I got the color I wanted. If I want to spend the time finding the perfect buyer, I can probably get more for it, but I'd also be the one putting in several hours of time/effort to find that person, with that time being more valuable than the extra money in my mind at least.
I think you'll make money on it... with the caveat that nobody knows how much Taycans will depreciate initially before they (maybe) begin to appreciate at some future point. If they do appreciate, I think PTS colors that stand out (like acid green) will command a premium. But that may be decades down the line.

I was just admiring a Mexico blue 997 with factory aero kit that's up for auction at Monterey, and a big chunk of the allure of that car is that it is PTS. It will stand out in the crowd. Similarly, I suspect ruby stone red 964s do command a big premium... and so somebody is going to want that Acid Green Taycan someday... bad.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
A PTS car would likely sell for more than another Porsche with all else being equal. In almost all cases it would not recoup the cost of PTS though. So in pure financial terms PTS is a loser but with the right spec it could make for a quick sell and for slightly more than “book value”.

I will probably PTS my dream Porsche regardless. Not a Taycan but on a 911….yes pls!

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Logic would suggest yes, but only if the colour is desirable. Choose mahogany metallic and possibly not.
Someone in my area is selling their mahogany metallic 4S CT for 15% off while every other CT on the market is asking for over MSRP. You can't make this stuff up.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I think PTS has much better potential long-term value on the sports cars rather than on the 4/5 doors (saloons or SUVs, even the top trims). The sports cars are the flamboyant toys, the rest are compromised by more practical or conservative considerations, though maybe the Taycan, unlike the Panamera, saloon can be made to look sufficiently sportscar-like to bluff its way in to the former category. Regardless, I applaud every Taycan finished in an eye-catching colour.

Mathys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 X3 30e
Country flag
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t a PTS order lock in right away?
That is an additional risk right there to consider…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

My view is probably not and it would be difficult to discern as no 2 cars are alike.

Always a small premium for a metallic over non-metallic but PTS becomes very personal at a certain point and other potential buyers may not view it the same.

It's a gamble at best and who knows you may get lucky.

Agree with other comments that if PTS is similar to a standard colour then even less likely to attract a further premium.

OP
OP
SteveGTS

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
Logic would suggest yes, but only if the colour is desirable. Choose mahogany metallic and possibly not. One big reason I am considering it is where it potentially bumps you straight up the wait list where PTS orders are prioritised because of the limited build slots.

However, not sure I would opt for a dark PTS colour and on the GTS. Dark Olive would end up looking black in some light, and wouldn't pop unless it's really sunny - unusual in the UK and this summer we had an unusual treat. Next summer will probably be a wash out.

It's at that point too close to black, which costs £0.

My general rule for a PTS colour is does it look similar to a standard colour?

If the answer is yes, I don't choose it.

If it is:
  1. Unique
  2. Other Taycan owners would know it's unique without a second glance
  3. Genuinely attractive
Then that is what makes my PTS shortlist.

I find scrolling through Google image search, quickly looking at multiple photos at different angles, on different models and in different light useful to decide on a PTS colour.

On this topic, I am enquiring about the Cayman EV because I want to make that extra special if I do get one. I already know the colour I want but it would be PTS PLUS (£12k) and require Porsche HQ sign off.

Keeping that one quiet as I am quite sure it would at the very least cost me £0 when it comes to selling it, bumping the second hand value that much higher... I think.
Good points, embarrassingly I quoted the wrong colour, it's Olive Green or Nato Green that I desire 🙄

My wife was easily persuaded, perhaps because we chose a very similar colour for our living room.

I'll probably only take this route if it bumps me up the waiting list. I keep having second thoughts about Carmine, probably because I haven't seen one in the flesh for a couple of months. Last time I did see one it was OMG I have to have that.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Personally, NATO Green would have a negative response from me (sorry) - I've seen a few cars like this and we'll...

Avoid the risk and consider wrapping?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'd say no... unless you'll find a buyer who wants exactly the same PTS colour (and are willing to pay for 2nd hand vehicle loooots of money).
On the other hand, you are going to buy a car for yourself...so, if olive green is your favourite - go for it!
I'm sure that I'm not the only one, who buys cars for myself, not for next owner...

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Good points, embarrassingly I quoted the wrong colour, it's Olive Green or Nato Green that I desire 🙄

My wife was easily persuaded, perhaps because we chose a very similar colour for our living room.

I'll probably only take this route if it bumps me up the waiting list. I keep having second thoughts about Carmine, probably because I haven't seen one in the flesh for a couple of months. Last time I did see one it was OMG I have to have that.
Both colours are quite subdued, but get either if you really like it. Plus it matches the living room 😂

I'm not that keen on any PTS colour tbh. I don't like any of them enough to fork out £6,500 for it.

The one I am considering is Gold Bronze Metallic. Possibly one of the greys that is two tone under different light, but then I would also need to see samples.

The thing that could justify paying the money is seeing my car 6-8 months earlier.

I too am still pretty much set on CR.

I have my Porsche Silverstone experience tomorrow, so will likely see some CR Taycan's. Will picture and share the photos!
Sponsored