Are Taycans the bargains of the Porsche model lineup?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Perhaps you ran into subsidized residual values. Tesla did that from time to time.
I have no insight into reasoning, I just know the options that were presented to me in May 2022 from Porsche North America.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's my assumption for Porsche GB PCP's- with the RV of options being pretty much zero.
I got quotes for a similarly spec'd 4S and Turbo, and assuming that the total RV = the optional final payment to keep the vehicle, and that instead of taking a PCP I bought outright then sold after 3 years (the term of the lease quotes), the Turbo will effectively only cost me £1000 more per year than the 4S would have done. IIRC, the Turbo had an RV of 61% of the sticker price including options, the 4S had an RV of 55%.
In the US, for my builds, the RV was flipped (from a percentage basis . . . not for overall MSRP/final RV) for 4S and Turbo.

For more importantly, however, is the point that you are only financing the depreciation, so a 10K, 20K or 30K difference in MSRP may not necessarily result in a huge hit to overall amount paid over lease period.

Complicated. I think it's happy hour again.

Too bad these discussion cannot be had over a drink or two so that I can at least have more fun depreciating to my residual value.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have no insight into reasoning, I just know the options that were presented to me in May 2022 from Porsche North America.
Absolutely. If you had the dealer price the lease payments for different trims with different option, you obviously got the most up to date information at that time and made the best decision based on that. 👍

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
For more importantly, however, is the point that you are only financing the depreciation, so a 10K, 20K or 30K difference in MSRP may not necessarily result in a huge hit to overall amount paid over lease period.
Actually, you are paying interest on the residual value as well. 2*money_factor*RV per month to be exact.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, you are paying interest on the residual value as well. 2*money_factor*RV per month to be exact.
Ah yes, I was thinking of the nutty Ferrari financing rather than Porsche

Taken from the Internet (https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/car-lease.html)

"In broad terms, you calculate a lease by determining and adding the depreciation fee, plus a monthly sales tax and a financing fee. If you're looking to calculate your payment manually, here is the formula:

1. Start with the sticker price (MSRP) of the car.
  2. Take the MSRP and multiply it by the residual percentage.
  3. This equals the residual value.
  4. Then take the negotiated selling price of the car.
  5. Add in the fees to get the gross capitalized cost.
  6. Subtract your down payment and rebates.
  7. This is your adjusted capitalized cost.
  8. Subtract the residual value from the adjusted capitalized cost. This is your depreciation amount.
  9. Divide the depreciation amount by the number of months in your lease. This will be your base payment.
  10. Add the adjusted capitalized cost and the residual value. Take the sum and multiply it by money factor. This is your monthly rent charge.
  11. Add the rent charge to your base payment to get your pretax lease payment.
  12. Multiply your tax rate by the pretax lease payment to get the total lease payment."
You can see how residual value plays such a big role in lease payment costs, and why it pays to pick a model with higher residual value percentage + more options over a lower residual value percentage + fewer options where MSRP is the same and assuming that there is not a different money factor applied to base car vs. options.
Sponsored

Last edited: