Are we helping in the fight against climate change or just indulging our love of toys (er technology)?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
People with 150K car (or even worse, more of them) will never do anything about CO2 or pollution. If they will , then never buy overpriced toys. Life is possible with 35m2 house and without a car.
No need to work or move (breathe?)
What a small CO2 footprint!

It's all just fake moralizing and soul washing.

PS:I buy taycan because it's just good looking car, that suits my needs.
every purchase of an EV promotes the mass adoption of EVs. The mass adoption of EVs will have a marked impact on the environment. Your cynicism will not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
There's plenty of studies arguing one way or another in terms of the net environmental impact of EVs vs ICE cars to where the argument can be made one way or the other in terms of what is better as of today.

The way I figure is moving forward, burning gasoline will never get much cleaner, electricity generation is at least moving to cleaner alternatives. Even if we don't reach fully green power, the management of pollutants can be centrally controlled at the plant and not directly exposed to people around town. I'm a fan of performance ICE cars for personal use and motorsports, however, it's a bit much when people remove their catalytic converters and go straight pipe exhaust. Worse, the roll coal crowd. Just unnecessary pollutants (noise and air particulates).

Even if I never drive enough miles to get myself to the pollution break even point, I still get a car with amazing performance within the limits of physics (battery capacity and weight), quiet for cruising, energy efficient, and I can do my fill-up at home conveniently. The Taycan being one of the coolest cars on the road doesn't hurt either. :D
Sponsored