Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Porsche just released the 718 Spyder RS: https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-spyder-rs/

I want it. I want it almost as much as I want the GT3 RS or the 718 Cayman GT4 RS or the 911 Dakar or even just the GT3 Touring.

For each of these cars, I would want to load them up with the Weissach options and everything else to make them beasts.

The problem is that each one of these cars would be awful for the way that I -- and I imagine most of us -- would actually use them.

Most of these cars would be miserable on the streets, or at least not nearly as comfortable and practical as their "normal" counterparts, like the regular Spyder, Cayman or 911.

If you were racing on tracks, then a dedicated race car would be a better choice. In my experience in amateur racing, what you are racing matters far less than just making sure you are in a series where everyone is racing the same thing with the same capabilities. In fact, I had much more fun in the "cheaper" series because you didn't worry about damage as much: It's a lot more fun to drive like a wanna-be Verstappen in a $25K car than in a $150K car (at least for me).

If you are driving on the streets, the cars I crave most would be far too harsh in terms of suspension and noise than better alternatives. I think a base 911 probably has more capabilities than you can fairly use on the streets and would deliver maybe 90% of the fun, although I do think that a Turbo S is soft enough that I could convince myself that it makes sense.

Maybe if you do a lot of track days (i.e., not racing but just car club), then a GT3 or Cayman GT4 would be fun and maybe make sense, but only if you did it regularly.

I have come very close to pulling the trigger on a Dakar, but, let's be honest, I'm not likely to take a car like that out to Rally.

Which brings me to the Spyder RS: I really want it but it makes no sense whatsoever to have a car that "hard" in this convertible format. Why do I nonetheless want something so stupid? I feel the same way about Ferraris when I get the itch every few years to pull the trigger on one.

Anyone else really want a car that you know would actually be awful for the way you would use it if you actually bought it?
Sponsored

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Lol - the old saying …… ’like a kid in a sweet shop’.

In a way I think your post has skirted around the solution that it is impossible to get the one perfect car that does everything well. If budget allowing, (each to their own regarding affordability), best solution to get multiple cars for different intents or mood suiting…… so get down to the dealers and get deposits down for ALL of them 😉😎

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol - the old saying …… ’like a kid in a sweet shop’.

In a way I think your post has skirted around the solution that it is impossible to get the one perfect car that does everything well. If budget allowing, (each to their own regarding affordability), best solution to get multiple cars for different intents or mood suiting…… so get down to the dealers and get deposits down for ALL of them 😉😎
True, but I have an issue with having cars that I rarely use. Unfortunately, that has led me to give up a few cars that I miss to this day. While not a collectible car per se, I still miss my '67 Firebird convertible . . .

This picture is not a picture of my former car, but my car looked exactly like this with same color and options. I'm just realizing that maybe this car gave me the bug to get Mamba green on my Taycan CT . . . .

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? Firebird

Last edited:

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
True, but I have an issue with having cars that I rarely use. Unfortunately, that has led me to give up a few cars that I miss to this day. While not a collectible car per se, I still miss my '67 Firebird convertible . . .
I hear you and fully understand, albeit that I live in the land of fish-n-chips, and cars bigger than a mini can be challenging to park in some cases, the UK is def not ideal for big cars or cars that like fuel….. my advice if so bold…….go and find a Firebird and rekindle that dream, new cars are just boring, EV’s even more so.

You only live once!

mikestyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Turbo + Taycan
Country flag
Most of the cars your mentioned will never see their full potential. If I had the funds, would I have them all? YES. Does it make sense, NO!

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

This picture is not a picture of my former car, but my car looked exactly like this with same color and options. I'm just realizing that maybe this car gave me the bug to get Mamba green on my Taycan CT . . . .

Firebird.jpeg
In looking at this picture, I realize that this car did not have one option that I really liked on mine: a bad@ss hood mounted tach . . .

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? firebird hood mounted tachometer

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? Firebird tach

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am 100% in the camp of the OP and 100% agree that "want" cars are almost all a terrible match for real life.
As a Lotus Elise owner, I can tell you that it's rarely the first choice to nip out to the shop to grab something quickly.
I can also say that motorcycles are a whole other level of ridiculousness. I currently have 7 bikes (down from 11) and honestly only one of them is remotely practical in any daily sense (even then dry weather is preferred). The difference with bikes is that at least they are easier to store and mostly lower cost.

Examples shown of my "practical" daily bike and a couple of my practically un-rideables: $50k+ 916 SPS and 1947 AJS. And yet, the un-rideable ones bring me so much joy

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? AAYV4481.JPG

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? AJS 1947

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? IMG_6107.JPG

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am 100% in the camp of the OP and 100% agree that "want" cars are almost all a terrible match for real life.
As a Lotus Elise owner, I can tell you that it's rarely the first choice to nip out to the shop to grab something quickly.
I can also say that motorcycles are a whole other level of ridiculousness. I currently have 7 bikes (down from 11) and honestly only one of them is remotely practical in any daily sense (even then dry weather is preferred). The difference with bikes is that at least they are easier to store and mostly lower cost.

Examples shown of my "practical" daily bike and a couple of my practically un-rideables: $50k+ 916 SPS and 1947 AJS. And yet, the un-rideable ones bring me so much joy

AAYV4481.JPG

AJS 1947.jpg

IMG_6107.JPG
I'm also insane about bikes. I started out racing YZ 125 and then YZ 250s as a kid. I got rid of my street bikes after getting paranoid when a few friends had very bad accidents. I have been thinking about getting a Ducati (maybe xDiavel or even a Panigale) or Live Wire, but my wife and kids have both thrown a fit against that idea . . .

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice!
Panigale is sexy, but also fairly pointless for road use - in the GT4 RS vein for sure. I have an 848 - older version of the same.

I've had a Diavel for 11 years now. It's insane power, but actually quiet usable. More like a 911 4S I would say.

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? 848 evo

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? 20140522_205726

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Yes, I feel absolutely the same way, and have fallen more than once to my car "wants" combined with sexy marketing. I watched the Porsche video for the Spyder RS. It looks fantastic! In my mind, the silly little wind cover would work great and is super easy to take on and off (sarcasm). One time I made an impulse purchase of an Aston Martin Vantage. It was at the Aston dealer in Beverly Hills. I test drove it up Rodeo Drive and up into the Hollywood hills. How could I not buy it?! Beautiful car and sounded amazing. Once I got it back home, I realized it had a horrible single-clutch automated manual transmission that my wife nicknamed the "herkie jerky". Just awful to drive in traffic, but super fun on a track! I still regularly stop by car Disneyworld (Penske automotive in Scottsdale AZ) and often find myself somehow making complete sense of a Ferrari F12 or 812SF purchase. One of these days....

"In fact, I had much more fun in the "cheaper" series because you didn't worry about damage as much: It's a lot more fun to drive like a wanna-be Alonso in a $25K car than in a $150K car (at least for me)." Totally agree with this.

Porsche Taycan Are you also susceptible to marketing that makes you crave cars that would be awful in reality? IMG_3559.JPG
Sponsored