moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone brought their Taycan to the Area 27 track just outside Oliver? I'll be going there in a few weeks for a track event and would appreciate any feedback from others that have been there.

I'm planning to leave the hotel in Penticton with 100% SOC and top up at a 50kw Fortis charger (Flo) in Oliver for 30 mins before driving the 10km to the track...I should be able to get to the track with 95% SOC. The track doesn't have any charging facilities at all so I'm concerned I will run out of juice before the event is over. I'm guessing we will be permitted 10 to 20 laps (less than 100km of track running).

Will my 4S+ have enough juice to run 100km of high output driving or will I need to leave at lunch or in-between sessions and go back to Oliver to juice up for 45mins and grab as much 50kw electrons that I can in that time?

I heard there have been a few Taycans on the track in the past - I'm hoping one of those owners is a member on this forum and can provide some insight!
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I might have an info that will help you. A german youtube channel took the 4S+ on the german autobahn and drove it at 200kph as long as they could. At the end they drove for about 57 minutes, had an average speed of 180kph, drove 166km and were almost empty (range was 9km on screen, 5% battery).

How that translates to track driving is hard to tell, but driving 200kph for an hour straight should simulate a huge drain on the battery.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your day there!

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Please post your experience after you have been there. I would like to take my car there sometime. Have fun!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I was there a few years ago - the only thing is there is virtually no infrastructure at the track - not even a club house when I was there (that may have changed)

I would investigate charging solutions near by and make sure they are working - track driving consumes a lot of power and you need to make sure you have a good plan for charging - 15 min session on track at pace can use 50% battery…

near by charging is going to be a requirement if you want to track a Taycan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the two closest fast chargers are 50 kW affairs (but highly rated on plugshare for reliabilty) - so you’ll have a 60-90 minute charging session once you’re down on battery capacity.
  1. 111 Enterprise Way, Oliver, BC V0H 1T0, Canada
  2. 6201 45 St, Osoyoos, BC V0H 1V6, Canada
#2 is 15 miles from the track (maps says 25 min drive - one way)
#1 is 7.2 miles from the track (maps says 13 min drive - one way)

so round trip to the closest fast charger is…
  • 13 min to get there
  • 60 minutes (best case) to charge
  • 13 min back to the track
90 min best case to leave the track and charge - I’d budget 2 hours

you’ll have to leave the track to charge at 7-10% SOC to make sure you have enough power to get the fast chargers…

I’d be surprised if you get two full 15 min track sessions before being down below 15% battery - leave the track for 2 hours - then come back for 2 more sessions (maybe) - then charge one more time before driving home…

you have 2 to 3 hours of fast charging for that track day - 2 sessions at least (1 mid day to return to the track, 1 end of day to get home)

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-on-driving-lap-data-impressions-added.2923/

similar distance to/from the track to 50 kW fast chargers @ laguna Seca - I choose to do 3 of 5 sessions on a track day
  • Session 1 - run full pace until battery thermals kicked in - 15 minutes - 53% battery consumed - 8 laps
  • Session 2 - run full pace until battery SOC was low - reserve for driving to charger - 7-10 min - 6 laps on track at pace - then I had to leave to have a enough power to get to fast chargers
  • 90-120 min total time away from track to fast charge
  • Session 3 - skipped cause I was fast charging
  • Session 4 - ran until battery thermals kicked in - below 40% SOC - less than 6 full pace laps
  • Session 5 - skipped to drive home since I had enough range and if I had driven on track I would’ve had to do another “slow” fast charging session

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anyone brought their Taycan to the Area 27 track just outside Oliver? I'll be going there in a few weeks for a track event and would appreciate any feedback from others that have been there.

I'm planning to leave the hotel in Penticton with 100% SOC and top up at a 50kw Fortis charger (Flo) in Oliver for 30 mins before driving the 10km to the track...I should be able to get to the track with 95% SOC. The track doesn't have any charging facilities at all so I'm concerned I will run out of juice before the event is over. I'm guessing we will be permitted 10 to 20 laps (less than 100km of track running).

Will my 4S+ have enough juice to run 100km of high output driving or will I need to leave at lunch or in-between sessions and go back to Oliver to juice up for 45mins and grab as much 50kw electrons that I can in that time?

I heard there have been a few Taycans on the track in the past - I'm hoping one of those owners is a member on this forum and can provide some insight!
the Taycan can run full pace for about 12-15 minutes (then battery thermal limits kick in) - depending on how fast you are as a driver full pace laps for 12-15 minutes will use over 50% battery…

I was able to complete 6-7 laps @ laguna Seca at “full pace” in my 2020 Taycan Turbo - Laguna Seca is a 2.238 mile lap (3.602 km) - lets call it 7 laps - 15 miles/25 km should be about 50% battery consumption.

I’ve driven Area 27 - and if you’re quick as a driver I’d humbly suggest you’ll get no more than 40-45 kM of range before you have to leave for a fast charging session (2 hours) - the near by 50 kW chargers will require a full 90 min charge session so you return to the track above 90% SOC for another 45 kM of range.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is one of my Area 27 laps in a Porsche 911 GTS - we were on a porsche driving experience trip - so the laps were limited to lead follow only.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
tracking an EV is very very hard and you do not get a lot of track time - the Taycan has the following limits
  • consumption is extreme - 50% battery or more in less than 15 min on track for any good pace
  • battery thermals - hard to see more than 15 min running at full pace due to battery thermals
  • heavy car - very very heavy car - the tires get greasy after about 4 full pace laps - very few street tires are up to the task for more than 4 or 5 laps
  • lack of fast charging infrastructure at the track means lengthly ‘re-fueling’ sessions away from the track - losing valuable track time
I plan to track my Taycan one more time - and one more time _ONLY_ to see the difference with summer/performance tires vs. all-season/factory-stock - but it’s really not a track car and the logistics of fast charging make for very very few hot laps.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
reviewing my posting

8 full laps at laguna (lap 8 was an “in” lap at slower pace) - but I used 53% battery for 8 laps or 28.816 KM

Math says 100% Battery usage = about 54 kM “track” distance for 100% SOC…

Area 27 is a 4.83 km lap distance

54 kM estimated lap full pace range = 11 laps estimated range @ Area 27

9 or 10 laps to leave enough power to leave the track and get to fast charging.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my Taycan Laguna Lap - this was session two - so this was between 47% and 14% battery

OP
OP

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Looks like I need to lower my expectations on battery consumption somewhat and miss out on a couple of the planned sessions.

Should be fun despite the offsite recharging shenanigans and reduced track time. I will post my findings for the next Taycan that wants to visit Area 27.

OP
OP

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm happy to report that:

A) my car and I survived a day at the track at Area 27; and
B) my Taycan 4S performed better than expected from a performance and battery consumption perspective.

I was able to get a full day in with over 150km of track running made up of 6 sessions; 3 before lunch and 3 after lunch. I arrived to the track with 97% SOC and after the 3 morning sessions I was at 55% SOC - I left the track at lunch and went to the Flo (FortisBC Gulf) 50kw charger at 111 Enterprise Way in Oliver about 12 minutes from the track and charged for 40 minutes topping up the battery to about 85%. I then completed the remaining 3 sessions of the day and left the track with about 20% which was enough to get me back to the hotel in Penticton. This was my first visit to the track and it was not the "casual" track I was expecting...It was full of blind corners, sharp elevation changes, and really technical sequences. I must say I was intimidated in the morning but as the day progressed and I was able to pick my braking points and hit the apexes properly, I became a bit more comfortable. The longest straight was decently fast, hitting 210 on a few of my runs, with a sharp amount of braking required at the end to make the turn...I was really worried about cooking my rotors given the weight of the car but everything worked and seemed up to the challenge. The 3 instructors where excellent, 2 of the instructors are current drivers in various lower formula series... I was impressed with the Taycan, how it handles the weight, its handling in the corners and its acceleration out of the corners. Anyway, it was a decent day and I left the track with my car and myself in one piece. Which, from what we were told, doesn't always happen...as they have had 40+ high-end cars written off since the track opened some 7 years ago or so.

So, in summary, the Taycan was a bunch of fun on the track and the battery consumption was not as bad as I thought as I managed to get all the same track time as the other ICE cars.

It's worth a visit...
Sponsored