DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I would be interested in reading about your initial experience and assessment after about a month or so into your Taycan ownership. Do post it, please. I wonder whether you will miss your 911 less or more than you now expect you will.
I went from a (very beloved) 991.1 Targa to the Taycan. I was tired of waiting for the right EV to come out.

I can say 2+ months in I am very happy with it and do not regret the move.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice article except for this line:

" But it was late June and climate change is doing its thing, and those thermally insulating layers of metal can only do so much."

:facepalm:
yeah, I don't know how hot it is in Harrisburg but yesterday I drove for hours through 100-109 degree heat, had the ac on 70 and auto and it was really comfortable with the fan barely making any noise.

remanis

First Name
Amer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60, Volvo V60
Country flag
I’m curious, what do you people mean by “real sports car”? The only difference between my Taycan Turbo S and my friends 911 is that the 911 sounds way more. Other than that, my Turbo S is way faster, accelerates faster and handles better. So it’s better in all the “sports attributes” except for the sound (which I don’t like because I like it nice, clean and quite when I drive).

So, what does it mean when you say “real sports car”? Is it the sound you are referring to? Or have I missed something?

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I have to say I prefer My Taycan 4s over my 992 turbo S cabriolet. So much so that I’m selling my 4s for a 2022 turbo S Taycan. I bought the Taycan in December 2020 and have 4200 miles on it. The 992 I took delivery in February and only have 800 miles on it. I’ll probably keep the 992 a while or maybe sell for something Italian for a weekend ride??

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I’m curious, what do you people mean by “real sports car”? The only difference between my Taycan Turbo S and my friends 911 is that the 911 sounds way more. Other than that, my Turbo S is way faster, accelerates faster and handles better. So it’s better in all the “sports attributes” except for the sound (which I don’t like because I like it nice, clean and quite when I drive).

So, what does it mean when you say “real sports car”? Is it the sound you are referring to? Or have I missed something?
I think "sports car" has become one of those almost meaningless terms now. I've seen people even refer to some fast SUVs as sports cars for example. It kind of doesn't matter; as car enthusiasts our needs/desires exist on a continuum from people who want a lightweight all analog experience up through big power luxury sdeans that also handle well. I do think there has to be an element of driving enjoyment though--it's possible to have a very fast car that handles incredibly well but that just isn't that fun/engaging to drive.

Here's a interesting article/rant on the term "sports car" (a bit pendantic but kind of a fun read):
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Sports car: coupe or convertible with shorter than average wheelbase + dynamics designed for aggressive and sporty driving. (no heavy winters)
Small cargo area and zero room for kids/pets - mainly with only 2 seats.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sports car: coupe or convertible with shorter than average wheelbase + dynamics designed for aggressive and sporty driving. (no heavy winters)
Small cargo area and zero room for kids/pets - mainly with only 2 seats.
Sporty and aggressive driving for the purpose of enjoyment/thrill vs. necessarily the best possible time (the latter being a race car). A stick shift is a sports car thing, the fastest possible dual clutch transmission takes away from the sports car qualities. (IMHO - and coming from somebody that owns a 911 with PDK)

That last "2 doors" bit is why IMHO the 911 has always been straddling the line between GT and sports car, and one of the aspects that makes a GT3 or Cayman into a better/"truer" sports car.

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Interesting article. Just to put my 2 cents in...

I've been driving nothing but 911s since 2000. Six of them in all. With the exception of the 2000 model, they were all Turbos, or Turbo S's if available for that model year. The 2021 Taycan Turbo S is my first electric and first non-911, and I prefer it to the 911 Turbo S.

My opinion isn't an unusual or unpopular one. The only thing that might make my opinion a bit odd is that I'm kind of the opposite of what one would normally assume to be the target demographic for this vehicle. Specifically:

• I don't have or like kids. The whole "sports car with room for car seat/screaming baby/precious little ones" bit is actually a turnoff for me.
  • I have zero interest in eco-virtue-signaling or showing the world that I'm "doing my part" to combat climate change, global warming, global cooling, or whatever eco-scare came before that.
  • I don't like four-doors. I'm tall and I feel like a lot of times car manufacturers skimp on driver leg room to accommodate a back seat.
  • I don't like tech gadgetry/gimmicks that seem to pervade the EV space.
  • I'm not really an auto enthusiast at all. People talk about torque, horsepower, etc. and I don't even have a clue what any of that stuff means. Nor do I care about "racing heritage" or company legacies or branding or any of that other car enthusiast kind of stuff.
One might think I'd be the last person in the world to be interested in the Taycan. And yet, it's instantly become my favorite car of all time. Sometimes I just drive it without a particular destination in mind. It's fun just for it's own sake. The way it accelerates and handles is downright amazing. And it's so quiet! I friggin' love it.

One complaint the dude made was about the touch screen climate control. I have to admit, that was something I was initially worried about. I felt that it's essential to be able to adjust the vents by feel rather than fumbling through some over-architected and unintuitive touch screen. My concerns were misplaced. As I recall, the sales rep set the climate control to 72 in "diffuse" mode back in June and I don't believe I've had an inclination to touch it even once since then.

Not sure why he was complaining about the roof and heat. I split my time between Las Vegas and San Diego, and the former gets up to the low hundred degrees on the regular. Haven't noticed any problems with heat coming through the roof.

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
@SWORDER, that is an amazing assessment. Since I am generally in the target demographic, I am gratified to hear it!

Olle-swe

First Name
Olle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS
Country flag
Interesting to see that people are trading in their 911s to Taycans. I completely understand the reasons regarding being able to bring the complete family and better use it on a daily basis, but does it still feel as special as bringing out the 911?

I am waiting for our Taycan 4S CT to arrive this autumn, and are considering to order a 992 gts conv as well. I have a Cayenne Coupe GTS from a few months ago and it feels like the perfect trio. BUT, if taking delivery of the Taycan will lower my desire for the 911 maybeI better wait some and possibly save usd 200T ?

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Circling back in this, better is a ridiculously subjective word. Better in what way?

The Taycan is electric. Is that better for you?

The 911 is almost a ton lighter. Is that better for you?

The Taycan has a sleek and lovely interior with plenty of space in comparison...

The 911 has a heritage that is definitely worth more than the sum of its parts. One buys it for more than speed and handling...one buys it for the legendary ties to the past and a constant evolution the damn same concept. Indeed, 50 year old versions still look like close siblings... Land damn good.

Question really boils down to what you want. For my part, I sold my 911 and got the Taycan 4S. Bit not because the latter was better, just different and I wanted to try out a proper EV.

Hell, if I didn't live in the city and could have another car, I'd have both!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Article: The Porsche Taycan 4S: Better than a 911? Believe it 1628353965228

I feel like it's comparing the whole ownership experience. While the driving enjoyment is a crucial core of it, there are other aspects that matter to different degrees to all of us.

This morning I plugged in my car and immediately the app showed me it's charging. That's not anything I ever had with the 911, and in my laziness did not like always having to drive to a gas station, wait for the machine to read my CC, deal with dirty gas pumps, balk at high prices, etc. While folks talk about range anxiety, I also had "gas anxiety" whenever it ran low and had to plan when I go get gas, can I wait until after my work commute, one more errand when the fuel light was on, etc.

It's so much more of a joy to just plug in whenever I want.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
1628353965228.png

I feel like it's comparing the whole ownership experience. While the driving enjoyment is a crucial core of it, there are other aspects that matter to different degrees to all of us.

This morning I plugged in my car and immediately the app showed me it's charging. That's not anything I ever had with the 911, and in my laziness did not like always having to drive to a gas station, wait for the machine to read my CC, deal with dirty gas pumps, balk at high prices, etc. While folks talk about range anxiety, I also had "gas anxiety" whenever it ran low and had to plan when I go get gas, can I wait until after my work commute, one more errand when the fuel light was on, etc.

It's so much more of a joy to just plug in whenever I want.
Completely agree. When you're coming from an ICE car, charging seems like a disadvantage, until you realize that 90%+ of days it's actually MORE convenient. No more Monday morning "shit, I gotta fuel up before heading out on the commute!" etc.

All good points that the article glosses over. Not surprising, since a lot of this only really sinks in when you own it for a while. As it is, it's just a click bait title and shallow content. That's like me reviewing a yacht after spending a weekend on one.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Circling back in this, better is a ridiculously subjective word. Better in what way?

The Taycan is electric. Is that better for you?

The 911 is almost a ton lighter. Is that better for you?

The Taycan has a sleek and lovely interior with plenty of space in comparison...

The 911 has a heritage that is definitely worth more than the sum of its parts. One buys it for more than speed and handling...one buys it for the legendary ties to the past and a constant evolution the damn same concept. Indeed, 50 year old versions still look like close siblings... Land damn good.

Question really boils down to what you want. For my part, I sold my 911 and got the Taycan 4S. Bit not because the latter was better, just different and I wanted to try out a proper EV.

Hell, if I didn't live in the city and could have another car, I'd have both!
It's because it's a click bait title. It also doesn't risk pissing off any one advertiser, since they are pitting one Porsche vs. another.

"Taycan is the best sports sedan out there" wouldn't really attract as many clicks. And comparing it to other ICE and EV sports sedans would risk making somebody unhappy.
Sponsored