CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
See news @ sister-siste Scoutevforum:
https://www.scoutevforum.com/forum/threads/vw-scout-ev-to-be-made-in-america-at-new-u-s-ev-plant-🇺🇸👷‍♂️.10860/

Following the lead of the infamous Musk-ateer, Audi looking to take advantage of US IRA subsidies:
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...g-electric-car-factory-us-due-ira-2023-02-24/

Chief Executive Markus Duesmann said that a decision had not yet been made but that the IRA made it far more attractive to build electric vehicles (EVs) in the United States. Duesmann made the comments in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, which were later confirmed by the company.

Asked whether Audi would build a plant itself or do so together with other Volkswagen brands, Duesmann said: "Both are possible. But the probability that we do it within the group is high."
Sponsored

Last edited:

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Airbus builds most of their airplanes in Europe but some are made in Mobile, AL and Canada. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in quality control between the two and I wish all of them were built in Europe. At the higher price points, I’m not sure I’d want my Audi built in the US.

OP
OP
CarbonTax

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Airbus builds most of their airplanes in Europe but some are made in Mobile, AL and Canada. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in quality control between the two and I wish all of them were built in Europe. At the higher price points, I’m not sure I’d want my Audi built in the US.
Apples and oranges?
3 years later, no issues to report with the wife's BMW (built in SC).

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Apples and oranges?
3 years later, no issues to report with the wife's BMW (built in SC).
Admittedly, there’s no direct correlation here but there could be similarities. And to be clear, I’m not talking about safety issues. Think of it as the airplanes coming out of Mobile are the Teslas of the QC world whereas those coming from Canada and Europe are the Porsches and Mercedes’s. Is it the fact that it’s hard to keep the assembly line staffed with experienced workers? Or is an Alabama thing? Or US thing? Or something completely different? Hard to know.

Deleted member 6348

There will never be a Porsche built on US soil.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
As I’m sure you are aware, Europeans don’t have the/a monopoly on building “quality” things. As an aside, MB’s top SUV is built in AL.

And since we’re comparing planes with cars, I’d much rather have the software written in the US, thanksverymuch.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
There will never be a Porsche built on US soil.
I wouldn't bet on it. Given the size of the market, and protectional politics (e.g. large incentives for cars made domestically), lower end Porsche's like Macan or 718 might end up being assembled here. Mercedes is assembling the EQS SUV in the USA now.

Deleted member 6348

I wouldn't bet on it. Given the size of the market, and protectional politics (e.g. large incentives for cars made domestically), lower end Porsche's like Macan or 718 might end up being assembled here. Mercedes is assembling the EQS SUV in the USA now.
Mercedes has been making SUVs here for more than decade. They’re actually exported from the US. BMW has been making cars here for decades.

Porsche’s cars are priced above the threshold of receiving EV incentives leaving little reason for them to be made here vs other marques.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I think it will all come down to US government concessions and funding - as for QA/QC, I’m ex-military and weapons, clothing, aircraft, ships etc. - US are leading the way. Plus US have a unique requirements with cars and as does UK with right hand drive but the clincher is qty sold/demand, outside Europe, I think maybe US is the biggest market so makes sense to build there.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Mercedes has been making SUVs here for more than decade. They’re actually exported from the US. BMW has been making cars here for decades.

Porsche’s cars are priced above the threshold of receiving EV incentives leaving little reason for them to be made here vs other marques.
You make good points, however:
  1. Porsche will have less expensive EV's
  2. Government incentives go way beyond what consumer rebate is, and they may hinge US manufacturing. Google all the different grants, cheap loans, etc. Tesla got from US government.
  3. Higher volume/cheaper cars it may actually makes sense to make them in the market where they are going to, or at least closer than across the ocean. North America is not a small market for Porsche, plus they might have expansion aspirations too. They already try to save money on wire size for an EVSEs, or memory side for a Taycan, things which are significantly less expensive than shipping a car across the ocean.
Sponsored