Aussies and the Panoramic Roof

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
How have you guys been fairing with the panoramic roof with our combination of extreme sun glare and high heat?

Is the cabin ever uncomfortable?

Can you feel the radiant heat come through on your head or does the AC do a good job of keeping the cabin even?
Sponsored

craig3101

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan MY2022
Country flag
How have you guys been fairing with the panoramic roof with our combination of extreme sun glare and high heat?

Is the cabin ever uncomfortable?

Can you feel the radiant heat come through on your head or does the AC do a good job of keeping the cabin even?
My experience so far ...

- the glass part is somewhat behind the driver's head (slightly) so you don't actually get a major impact from sun or glare
- the heat doesn't really get through the metallic medium in the glass, although the light does
- the air conditioning does a very good job keeping the cabin cool
- even with the recent Melbourne heat wave, it's been quite tolerable although if I had a retractable blind (obviously not available!) I would be closing it!

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Craig

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Pano sunroof on my CT4S here in Sydney. It's great! You can feel the sun on extra sunny days but only a tiny bit.

My previous car was a Tesla Model 3 and the glass roof in that car was not tinted anywhere near enough; I had to permanently cover it with a fitted sunshade, which defeats the purpose of a sunroof in the first place. In the Taycan my kids can enjoy the view and they never complain about glare/temperature.

Porsche Taycan Aussies and the Panoramic Roof IMG_1174

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
Pano sunroof on my CT4S here in Sydney. It's great! You can feel the sun on extra sunny days but only a tiny bit.

My previous car was a Tesla Model 3 and the glass roof in that car was not tinted anywhere near enough; I had to permanently cover it with a fitted sunshade, which defeats the purpose of a sunroof in the first place. In the Taycan my kids can enjoy the view and they never complain about glare/temperature.

IMG_1174.jpg
Thank you very useful to know! I was hoping for some negative feedback so I could be cheap and delete the option. :CWL:

Your car is looking GORGEOUS in that photo!!! Just stunning.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Thank you very useful to know! I was hoping for some negative feedback so I could be cheap and delete the option. :CWL:

Your car is looking GORGEOUS in that photo!!! Just stunning.
Thanks, and sorry (not sorry) for the lack of negative feedback :giggle:

It especially helps to create a spacious and airy feel for rear passengers; noticed this when a friend was taking my car for a spin and I hopped in the back. I'm not normally a good passenger so was surprised how comfortable I felt back there.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I also recently had a base Taycan service loaner without the pano sunroof, and with black interior. There is quite a significant visual impression upon opening the doors.

(My car has black + chalk beige partial leather interior)

Porsche Taycan Aussies and the Panoramic Roof B9C75FA0-41F0-4B94-BB01-CBD448C73675-COLLAGE

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Great info on the glass top not letting a whole lot of heat in. Thanks Australia owners!

It gets really warm here in Kansas in the Summer and I was rather worried about it. :whew:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I would never order it again. But it depends where you live and if you don't mind the extra AC to keep the inside cool.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-and-panorama-roof.5883

How the new glass roof with the shading tech inside works, I don't know. But in my climate, I would never pay that much, and still have a lot of heat on my head.

I now have the glass covered with a black out foil on the outside. Gives me a nice mirror effect on the inside and problem is solved.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Great info on the glass top not letting a whole lot of heat in. Thanks Australia owners!

It gets really warm here in Kansas in the Summer and I was rather worried about it. :whew:
Reporting from this high desert region, where the sun's radiation is very intense nearly every day, but the air is very dry and thin. The car is always comfortable even without activating my seat ventilation. The sun pretty much never bothers me visually, except when driving directly toward a setting or rising sun near the horizon.

Being a Jayhawk, born, raised and schooled in eastern Kansas, I've been there when it's "really warm" (long before the Taycan, though): the August sun is overhead, the temperature is 105 Fahrenheit in the shade, the humidity is over 50%, and it stays that way all afternoon. In those conditions, you will probably find that the roof glass is hot to the touch, if the car has been parked outside without shade, and the cabin air will be hot. But if you use a sun shade in the front windshield, and definitely if you activate the climate control remotely a few minutes before you climb in, it should be just fine. My interior is Racetex (including the steering wheel), and that might feel more comfortable throughout a wide temperature range.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys.

Seems like the radiant heat off the glass isn't a problem then.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Reporting from this high desert region, where the sun's radiation is very intense nearly every day, but the air is very dry and thin. The car is always comfortable even without activating my seat ventilation. The sun pretty much never bothers me visually, except when driving directly toward a setting or rising sun near the horizon.

Being a Jayhawk, born, raised and schooled in eastern Kansas, I've been there when it's "really warm" (long before the Taycan, though): the August sun is overhead, the temperature is 105 Fahrenheit in the shade, the humidity is over 50%, and it stays that way all afternoon. In those conditions, you will probably find that the roof glass is hot to the touch, if the car has been parked outside without shade, and the cabin air will be hot. But if you use a sun shade in the front windshield, and definitely if you activate the climate control remotely a few minutes before you climb in, it should be just fine. My interior is Racetex (including the steering wheel), and that might feel more comfortable throughout a wide temperature range.
Also a Jayhawk. KU is playing right now against Iowa. Thanks for the info. I agree that when we hit 100 degrees and humidity is over 60% that things will get sticky, regardless of the glass top. Fortunately my car is garaged during the day and yes the precooling feature is going to be great. Go Hawks!

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
There haven't been many hot days in Sydney since I took delivery in April, however I've seen enough to convince me that the pano roof in the Taycan is quite special: Our other car is a GLC 300, and both cars are parked outside. On a hot day, the glass roof in the GLC will be very hot to the touch from the inside; the Taycan's roof is much cooler. I never get the 'my head is 'burning' sensation inside the Taycan.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Ceramic tint all windows. It REALLY helps in warm/hot climates and there is no way I would own a car without it - especially my classic cars.

My Taycan has all the glass tinted w/ceramic i3 minus the roof.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
There haven't been many hot days in Sydney since I took delivery in April, however I've seen enough to convince me that the pano roof in the Taycan is quite special: Our other car is a GLC 300, and both cars are parked outside. On a hot day, the glass roof in the GLC will be very hot to the touch from the inside; the Taycan's roof is much cooler. I never get the 'my head is 'burning' sensation inside the Taycan.
Yup my experience so far as well. Instead of your GLC300 though, substitute an X3M40i. (BTW The new GLC looks very tempting IMO).

That said, we've had less sunny days in the Sunshine State this year than Victoria.
Sponsored