Automobile Mag Taycan review: The Porsche Taycan Turbo Redefines Speed and Acceleration

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
another drive along:
Sponsored

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dwraysgarage.com
Vehicles
Porsche Boxster Spyder (987.2), BMW i3 (REx), Tesla Model X
Country flag
If this pricing is correct, count me out on a launch year car and potentially ever.

With just basic options you're looking at $120k for the lowest trim worth buying.

For your money you get a first generation EV with a currently non existent charging network. Oh, by the way, within two years the battery tech will be outdated and replaced with far superior tech.

I could be swayed depending on how the Cross Turismo shakes out but I don't get the pricing.
I hate that this latest information has me thinking Tesla Model 3 Performance. You've articulated what has been mulling in my head since I saw this article and that German fella squished in the back of the Taycan on his YT video. Furthermore, everything points to 'what's next' in a dramatic and rapid evolution of the tech that could render the gen 1 irrelevant before it's even fully released! It's great that it is fast charge capable, but likely very few places it can accomplish it. And, seriously, speccing below Tesla 100 batteries?!

The wait continues but the excitement is dwindling...

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I hate that this latest information has me thinking Tesla Model 3 Performance. You've articulated what has been mulling in my head since I saw this article and that German fella squished in the back of the Taycan on his YT video. Furthermore, everything points to 'what's next' in a dramatic and rapid evolution of the tech that could render the gen 1 irrelevant before it's even fully released! It's great that it is fast charge capable, but likely very few places it can accomplish it. And, seriously, speccing below Tesla 100 batteries?!

My thoughts as well

beaudawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

With current battery tech, only so much kWh can be fit into an area the size of the floor pan. Porsche then handicapped themselves somewhat by committing to the "foot garages" for the rear passengers. I'd much rather have the additional kWh that a flat floor would provide, rear seat passengers be damned (well under 1% adult utilization in my case). Considering the timeline for NMC 811 cell pouches appears to have been pushed out, that indicates Porsche is likely using NMC 622 cell pouches, which again places a limit on the maximum possible battery capacity. All things considered, achieving a 96 kWh pack is somewhat impressive.

We should brace ourselves for fairly disappointing EPA numbers once they are released. Keep in mind, Porsche has stated all along a range of 500 km (~310 miles). Of course, that will surely be with the WLTP test in mind, due to its use in Porsche's home market. EPA ratings are less optimistic (more realistic), and could result in figures closer to 446 km (~277 miles). Also remember that the Audi e-Tron WLTP and EPA numbers came in well below expectations.

Last edited:

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
We should brace ourselves for fairly disappointing EPA numbers once they are released. Keep in mind, Porsche has stated all along a range of 500 km (~310 miles). Of course, that will surely be with the WLTP test in mind, due to its use in Porsche's home market. EPA ratings are less optimistic (more realistic), and could result in figures closer to 446 km (~277 miles). Also remember that the Audi e-Tron WLTP and EPA numbers came in well below expectations.
310 miles of range is for the even more optimistic NEDC cycle, not WLTP. From an official Porsche press release at the time of the Geneva auto show in March:
It will have a range of more than 500 kilometers as measured in accordance with the NEDC.
https://www.porsche.com/internation...ag/?lang=none&pool=international-de&id=530113

According to one source NEDC range can be converted to EPA range by dividing by 1.43 with a standard deviation of .16 (11% error range). They would indicate an expected EPA range of 204-231 miles. Let's hope Porsche does better than that given the expected pricing.

https://insideevs.com/features/3432...nflicting-ev-range-test-cycles-epa-wltp-nedc/

beaudawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
310 miles of range is for the even more optimistic NEDC cycle, not WLTP. From an official Porsche press release at the time of the Geneva auto show in March:

https://www.porsche.com/internation...ag/?lang=none&pool=international-de&id=530113

According to one source NEDC range can be converted to EPA range by dividing by 1.43 with a standard deviation of .16 (11% error range). They would indicate an expected EPA range of 204-231 miles. Let's hope Porsche does better than that given the expected pricing.

https://insideevs.com/features/3432...nflicting-ev-range-test-cycles-epa-wltp-nedc/
Thanks for the correction.

This is unfortunate, considering the EU has already transitioned to the WLTP standard for consumer facing vehicle emissions and efficiency data. Porsche isn't the only company still playing the NEDC game in advertising, though. While that is still sufficient for my daily use, it would be unfortunate for any moderate, or longer distance driving. Particularly so, considering Electrify America charging stations are primarily being placed in Walmart and Target parking lots. Not exactly places I would choose to hang-out while charging.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
Thanks for the correction.

This is unfortunate, considering the EU has already transitioned to the WLTP standard for consumer facing vehicle emissions and efficiency data. Porsche isn't the only company still playing the NEDC game in advertising, though. While that is still sufficient for my daily use, it would be unfortunate for any moderate, or longer distance driving. Particularly so, considering Electrify America charging stations are primarily being placed in Walmart and Target parking lots. Not exactly places I would choose to hang-out while charging.
Perfect place to go if you want a door dent.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I think with almost everything Trump related, it's the fear of what he might do/say more than what he actually does do.
He's had a beef with China and Mexico since his campaign, and I think he even talked about tariffs against them during his campaign. So it's really no big surprise he's doing it now.
I don't recall him saying a peep about Europe. So I think it's a lot of fear mongering and shitting on him for the sake of shitting on him that has this stuff spread around.
Not saying he does or doesn't deserve to be shit on (and if Russia is any indication, he might be into it). I'm just saying that I think there is less than a 1% chance of it happening and that it's simply media creating a panic for the sake of ratings and to further divide the left from the right because that shit drives ratings and makes them money.
Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I don't see it happening.
You may be right that it won't happen. The European Union floated the idea of NO tariffs for vehicles. Currently, there is a 10 import tax when American cars are imported to Europe, a 2.5 % tax of European cars imported to the USA but a 25% tariff on trucks imported to the USA (from Europe or Japan). Once the Europeans offered NO tariffs, then Trump shut up because he wants to protect Ford, GM and Chrysler with the most lucrative truck market as well as the large truck market.

I know this is not a political forum, and maybe we should stay away from it. But tariffs on the Taycan will probably effect/destroy any plans of buying a Taycan for people living in the USA. It never ceases to amaze me that Trump supporters will deny that Trump says something when it is RECORDED or sent out on twitter. He often contradicts himself and his administration make him and the USA the laughing stock of the world. You should watch the reactions (the laughter, the laughing at Trump, not with) of the German delegation when Trump spoke at the UN, and understand that normally Germans don't show their emotions too well.

Trump has REPEATEDLY threatened tariffs on German cars.
“If you want to build cars in the world, then I wish you all the best. You can build cars for the United States, but for every car that comes to the USA, you will pay 35 percent tax,” Trump said in remarks translated into German. (January 2017)
"President Donald Trump upped the ante in a brewing trade conflict stirred up by his announcement of steel and aluminum tariffs, saying the U.S. would impose tariffs on European car exports if the bloc follows through with retaliation against his metals duties." March 2018
“If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a tax on their cars which freely pour into the U.S.,” the president said on Twitter.
President Trump is threatening to impose a 20 percent tariff on all auto imports from Europe (May 2018)
President Trump threatens 20% (Feb 2019).

The Europeans favor NO tariffs, but the Trump admin probably under the lobbying of Ford, GM and Chrysler, will probably not end up imposing them. He cant have it both ways, no tariffs for American cars, but keeping tariffs on small and large trucks. Trump should not be afraid, as the most redneck Americans that support him will buy a Ford pickup over a VW pickup anyway, even if the Ford is broken down on the side of the road. Actually the main problem American car makers have is that they dont produce cars that Europeans want! Ford is the most successful, selling about 200k to 250k cars in Germany, about 7% of the market, which is actually better than VW in the USA. Also Trump probably was shocked to learn that German carmakers make 850,000 cars in the USA, most for EXPORT from the USA abroad.....oh....sorry, Trump still doesn't know that as he doesn't have the capacity to learn and actual facts are irrelevant to him and his supporters....LOL

I still dont see how the Taycan is a national security threat to the USA (the only way Trump can impose tariffs without congressional approval)

Back to the forum......I do hope there are no tariffs on the Taycan!!

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
More pricing info in an interview with CEO Oliver Blume in today’s Porsche e-performance email..... seems to be creeping up from the initial “price point starting between Cayenne and Panamera”

Porsche Taycan Automobile Mag Taycan review: The Porsche Taycan Turbo Redefines Speed and Acceleration 7B2E9A1C-41FB-4F53-A0D3-605028384195

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Panorama magazine stated the each Taycan will represent a loss for Porsche of between $6800 to $11300 depending on model.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You may be right that it won't happen. The European Union floated the idea of NO tariffs for vehicles. Currently, there is a 10 import tax when American cars are imported to Europe, a 2.5 % tax of European cars imported to the USA but a 25% tariff on trucks imported to the USA (from Europe or Japan). Once the Europeans offered NO tariffs, then Trump shut up because he wants to protect Ford, GM and Chrysler with the most lucrative truck market as well as the large truck market.

I know this is not a political forum, and maybe we should stay away from it. But tariffs on the Taycan will probably effect/destroy any plans of buying a Taycan for people living in the USA. It never ceases to amaze me that Trump supporters will deny that Trump says something when it is RECORDED or sent out on twitter. He often contradicts himself and his administration make him and the USA the laughing stock of the world. You should watch the reactions (the laughter, the laughing at Trump, not with) of the German delegation when Trump spoke at the UN, and understand that normally Germans don't show their emotions too well.

Trump has REPEATEDLY threatened tariffs on German cars.
“If you want to build cars in the world, then I wish you all the best. You can build cars for the United States, but for every car that comes to the USA, you will pay 35 percent tax,” Trump said in remarks translated into German. (January 2017)
"President Donald Trump upped the ante in a brewing trade conflict stirred up by his announcement of steel and aluminum tariffs, saying the U.S. would impose tariffs on European car exports if the bloc follows through with retaliation against his metals duties." March 2018
“If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a tax on their cars which freely pour into the U.S.,” the president said on Twitter.
President Trump is threatening to impose a 20 percent tariff on all auto imports from Europe (May 2018)
President Trump threatens 20% (Feb 2019).

The Europeans favor NO tariffs, but the Trump admin probably under the lobbying of Ford, GM and Chrysler, will probably not end up imposing them. He cant have it both ways, no tariffs for American cars, but keeping tariffs on small and large trucks. Trump should not be afraid, as the most redneck Americans that support him will buy a Ford pickup over a VW pickup anyway, even if the Ford is broken down on the side of the road. Actually the main problem American car makers have is that they dont produce cars that Europeans want! Ford is the most successful, selling about 200k to 250k cars in Germany, about 7% of the market, which is actually better than VW in the USA. Also Trump probably was shocked to learn that German carmakers make 850,000 cars in the USA, most for EXPORT from the USA abroad.....oh....sorry, Trump still doesn't know that as he doesn't have the capacity to learn and actual facts are irrelevant to him and his supporters....LOL

I still dont see how the Taycan is a national security threat to the USA (the only way Trump can impose tariffs without congressional approval)

Back to the forum......I do hope there are no tariffs on the Taycan!!
You’re right. Trump is a slightly functional illiterate

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More pricing info in an interview with CEO Oliver Blume in today’s Porsche e-performance email..... seems to be creeping up from the initial “price point starting between Cayenne and Panamera”

7B2E9A1C-41FB-4F53-A0D3-605028384195.jpeg
I’ve been saying that for weeks. It’s now similar to 911 prices according to reports