festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I've been reading this forum regularly over the last few months to prepare myself for the forthcoming delivery of my TTS. Very excited! Most of my questions have been answered but there is one lingering issue I'd like to put out there for comment.

I avoid like the plague any features that preemptively seize driving control from the user. Even basic features like Cruise Control that have been around for decades I try to avoid -- at least in Porsches. It's not that I'm against these "smart" features in theory, and I know some people love them, particularly in the Tesla camp. But from my perspective, given Porsche's abysmal track record with all things software, I really went out of my way to ensure no self-driving options were added to my car. I'm trying to avoid scenarios like this:

I had similar yesterday. Driving along in daylight in the city at 20mph and the car slammed the brakes and gave me an accident collision warning. Nothing there at all. Fortunately, nothing behind me neither.
So, I guess my questions are:

(1) I'm thinking that by opting out of Innodrive and Adaptive Cruise Control, I should be able to avoid encountering what happened to the fellow above, correct?

(2) Although I made sure not to include Adaptive Cruise Control, presumably there's some sort of base level cruise control built in. I don't have a problem with that. My 2015 911 Turbo S has cruise control too, which I've never used. I just want to make sure it's not something that engages itself automatically.

(3) I wasn't able to opt out of the lane change assistance, unfortunately. It came bundled in as part of a premium package that included features that I did want. Is this nothing more than a better camera angle when switching lanes? If so, fine. Just want to confirm that this thing doesn't hijack the merging process when executing a routine lane change. If it does, is the default setting 'off' and is there a way to ensure it remains deactivated?

That's it for now. Hopefully my next thread will contain a picture of my new car. Thanks again to all of the contributors here. It's made the whole process so much more enjoyable and relieved a lot of the anxieties I had about my first electric car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I definitely appreciate your POV on "driving assist" features. My personal and obviously biased opinion is that I have no interest in any meaningful level of autonomous driving features, especially those that relate to steering control.

My use of cruise is directly related to what and how I'm driving. When pulling our 25' Airstream with the F250 on a 6 hour trip cruise is really useful and I use it quite a bit. OTOH, in the 7 years I owned my GT3 I never once used the standard cruise control, not even on long drives. My wife's e-Tron came with ACC and while I don't usually use it, it works well the times that I have. Mostly based on that experience, I ordered ACC on the Taycan just for the hell of it. It remains to be seen how well it works.

With regard to "lane control assist", I assume you mean LCA (Lane Change Assist). If it's like other vehicles I've owned with this option it's a feature that warns via a light in the side view mirrors of other vehicles in your blind spot. It does not attempt to take over control of the vehicle via braking or steering.

As for Innodrive or the "self driving" features that Tesla offers; pass.

Last edited:

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
I only have the ACC with the lane assist. I fortunately don’t use either much. When I do use the cruise control, I am overriding it all the time. I bought a Porsche to drive the damn car, not have it drive me.

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
1) That is basic collision prevent system and can be turned off.
2) Cruise control wont turn on itself unless it is selected from switch on left hand side of the steering wheel.
3) Lane keep assist keeps you in the lane if you happen to drive out of the lane.Its just a light correction of the wheel moving the car back to the lane. This can easily be overrided wheh changing lanes OR ofcourse it can be turned off completely.

To summarize you should not be worrying about, all this can be turned off permenantly.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Only had my car 2 weeks and in Australia, InnoDrive not available (government legislation - so no soft close doors or wireless phone charging either even if you wanted them).
I agree with US colleagues comments: all can be turned off and/or have varying levels of engagement.
I have to say would not trust lane keeping but tried it out this morning and the nudge of the wheel was pretty unobtrusive (unlike same system on a Volvo XC60 I have driven with same feature).
Lane change assist is just the warning lights in the mirror which I think is helpful. I have used ACC and have found this helpful and easy to use on motorway/freeway. I think for longer drives would be helpful but personal choice and you never have to use it if you do not want to.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With regard to "lane control assist", I assume you mean LCA (Lane Change Assist). If it's like other vehicles I've owned with this option it's a feature that warns via a light in the side view mirrors of other vehicles in your blind spot. It does not attempt to take over control of the vehicle via braking or steering.
Yes thanks, Lane Change Assist. I corrected my post accordingly.

A side view mirror warning is fine. That might actually come in handy one day. Unfortunately, a few posts down, someone indicated that it actually steers the car to keep it in the lane. :(

As long as it can be permanently deactivated, it's all good.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only had my car 2 weeks and in Australia, InnoDrive not available (government legislation - so no soft close doors or wireless phone charging either even if you wanted them).
Just out of curiosity, why would the government legislate against soft close doors or wireless charging?

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Australia really is a nanny 'state' and legislate to the lowest common denominator, I'm afraid. Charging absence was to discourage use of mobile phones whilst driving and door close to reduce risk of hand/finger injuries, according to my dealer.
Really no logic and my old Panamera had soft close doors which I really liked and found useful.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
A side view mirror warning is fine. That might actually come in handy one day. Unfortunately, a few posts down, someone indicated that it actually steers the car to keep it in the lane.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think those are two different things.

The warning lights are LCA (Lane Change Assist) and the corrective steering is LKA (Lane Keep Assist).

LKA is standard in the US and LCA is an option.

They should both be able to be activated/deactivated independently.

I love Porsche’s LCA lights in their other cars. Best implementation I’ve seen. I hope the Taycan is the same. I didn’t pay attention to them during the test drive.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Yes thanks, Lane Change Assist. I corrected my post accordingly.

A side view mirror warning is fine. That might actually come in handy one day. Unfortunately, a few posts down, someone indicated that it actually steers the car to keep it in the lane. :(

As long as it can be permanently deactivated, it's all good.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think those are two different things.

The warning lights are LCA (Lane Change Assist) and the corrective steering is LKA (Lane Keep Assist).

LKA is standard in the US and LCA is an option.

They should both be able to be activated/deactivated independently.

I love Porsche’s LCA lights in their other cars. Best implementation I’ve seen. I hope the Taycan is the same. I didn’t pay attention to them during the test drive.
So, as Jhenson29 says, LCA (indicator lights) and LKA (lane keeping assist) are two different things. The first is optional, the second is standard on US cars.

I may be mistaken, but I think there is a 3rd feature called ALK (active lane keeping) that is bundled with Innodrive, either in the Premium Package or as a stand alone $3610 option. I suspect it may provide a higher level of driver "assistance" than LKA. In any event, it has a different acronym!

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I may be mistaken, but I think there is a third 3rd feature called ALK (active lane keeping) that is bundled with Innodrive, either in the Premium Package or as a stand $3610 option. I suspect it may provide a higher level of driver "assistance" than LKA. In any event, it has a different acronym!
Maybe we need a few more lane assistance options, just to be safe. ?‍♂

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I've been reading this forum regularly over the last few months to prepare myself for the forthcoming delivery of my TTS. Very excited! Most of my questions have been answered but there is one lingering issue I'd like to put out there for comment.

I avoid like the plague any features that preemptively seize driving control from the user. Even basic features like Cruise Control that have been around for decades I try to avoid -- at least in Porsches. It's not that I'm against these "smart" features in theory, and I know some people love them, particularly in the Tesla camp. But from my perspective, given Porsche's abysmal track record with all things software, I really went out of my way to ensure no self-driving options were added to my car. I'm trying to avoid scenarios like this:

So, I guess my questions are:

(1) I'm thinking that by opting out of Innodrive and Adaptive Cruise Control, I should be able to avoid encountering what happened to the fellow above, correct?

(2) Although I made sure not to include Adaptive Cruise Control, presumably there's some sort of base level cruise control built in. I don't have a problem with that. My 2015 911 Turbo S has cruise control too, which I've never used. I just want to make sure it's not something that engages itself automatically.

(3) I wasn't able to opt out of the lane change assistance, unfortunately. It came bundled in as part of a premium package that included features that I did want. Is this nothing more than a better camera angle when switching lanes? If so, fine. Just want to confirm that this thing doesn't hijack the merging process when executing a routine lane change. If it does, is the default setting 'off' and is there a way to ensure it remains deactivated?

That's it for now. Hopefully my next thread will contain a picture of my new car. Thanks again to all of the contributors here. It's made the whole process so much more enjoyable and relieved a lot of the anxieties I had about my first electric car.
My two cents................this car is so easy to drive 20, 30, or 40 mph over the speed limit I find myself using cruise (I do not have Adaptive Cruise for the same reason that you site) to limit my speed to the speed limit when I am driving around town. Yesterday I was headed home on a 50 mph highway, listening to the music and then looked at heads up which was at 80 and climbing. Whoa, time to hit the brakes. I do have lane assist and in my mind it is a toy - no real use and if you take your hands off the wheel a warning pops up saying the driver input is needed. I have not turned it off only because I see it as a gimmick and it is not harmful to me. Finally, I do have lane change assist and I guess it is useful but I try to be aware of mirrors, cars passing me, etc. so I can't say that it 'saved' me from turning into someone.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My two cents................this car is so easy to drive 20, 30, or 40 mph over the speed limit
I just got pulled over last week going 40 over. I honestly thought I was going (at most) 20 over. I still have a temporary tag on the car so I was let off with a warning when I explained I was still getting used to the acceleration. I did not think that was going to work ?‍♂

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just got pulled over last week going 40 over. I honestly thought I was going (at most) 20 over. I still have a temporary tag on the car so I was let off with a warning when I explained I was still getting used to the acceleration. I did not think that was going to work ?‍♂
I know exactly what mean. I'm struggling to keep the hwy speed limit but there is song I'm not in the mood of listening to, it takes me, like, 5 seconds to change to another song, then I realize wheels are almost up, and I'm doing 30 over the speed limit.
Sponsored