First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hello everyone

we have our first baby and first Porsche due towards the end of the year, and my wife has asked me to look in to in-car baby monitors.
Most come with a simple camera attached to the rear headrest and an old school sat nav style monitor for the front. I’ve read a number a threads here on the subject of hacking the Taycan screens for video playback etc, but I was wondering if it’s technically possible to feed through a camera stream, especially to the passenger screen?
Any help would be really appreciated (and I’d be Dad of the year!). Thanks!

Porsche Taycan Baby monitor hack for passenger screen? C84576BA-FBAC-4366-A829-7BA59E856864
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hello everyone

we have our first baby and first Porsche due towards the end of the year, and my wife has asked me to look in to in-car baby monitors.
Most come with a simple camera attached to the rear headrest and an old school sat nav style monitor for the front. I’ve read a number a threads here on the subject of hacking the Taycan screens for video playback etc, but I was wondering if it’s technically possible to feed through a camera stream, especially to the passenger screen?

C84576BA-FBAC-4366-A829-7BA59E856864.jpeg
this is a a great idea - Porsche should support this directly!

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
this is a a great idea - Porsche should support this directly!
Pretty sure there'd be legislative obstacles in most countries preventing Porsche from providing an official or approved solution.... A quick search shows this in your neck of the woods (California):

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is operating and the monitor, screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

So I guess anyone doing an aftermarket hack would just need to bear in mind any potential legal or insurance implications.

OP
OP

Hickpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Pretty sure there'd be legislative obstacles in most countries preventing Porsche from providing an official or approved solution.... A quick search shows this in your neck of the woods (California):

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is operating and the monitor, screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

So I guess anyone doing an aftermarket hack would just need to bear in mind any potential legal or insurance implications.
I hear you but I guess an aftermarket sat nav or baby monitor is just the same. Also, given Taycan has a passenger screen I would have thought they might be more flexible, as after all, it’s not really in direct view of the driver…

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
I hear you but I guess an aftermarket sat nav or baby monitor is just the same. Also, given Taycan has a passenger screen I would have thought they might be more flexible, as after all, it’s not really in direct view of the driver…
Yeah I totally agree that common sense suggests it should be fine (although common sense doesn't always apply when the authorities are involved)... I'd still clear any mod with your insurer though, don't want to give them any excuse not to pay out in the hopefully unlikely event of a bad incident.

Don't take too much notice of me though, I'm definitely on the more 'overcautious and paranoid' end of the spectrum! :CWL:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello everyone

C84576BA-FBAC-4366-A829-7BA59E856864.jpeg
I'm guessing there are legal and insurance obstacles here. (certainly in UK) No video whilst driving would be the first one. Nice idea but the risks are too high - consider a distraction leading to an unintended consequence.

OP
OP

Hickpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm guessing there are legal and insurance obstacles here. (certainly in UK) No video whilst driving would be the first one. Nice idea but the risks are too high - consider a distraction leading to an unintended consequence.
I certainly get it “legally” but “logically” I’m not so sure. What’s the difference between a passenger screen showing an video, a passenger sat watching an iPad and 3rd party monitor showing nav or baby?….
Then again I suppose we now live in an a ver over cautious world where everyone needs to indemnify themselves.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I certainly get it “legally” but “logically” I’m not so sure. What’s the difference between a passenger screen showing an video, a passenger sat watching an iPad and 3rd party monitor showing nav or baby?….
Then again I suppose we now live in an a ver over cautious world where everyone needs to indemnify themselves.
The driver isn't watching the iPad (or other device) but if it were possible (via a hack) watching a video stream would be clearly visible.

Up to the driver to do what they do but the manufacturer will make every effort to prevent / make it difficult.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Maybe a dumb question never having used a baby seat, but wouldn’t the baby be visible (or at least visible enough) in the rear view mirror to know if it was ok vs in distress?

OP
OP

Hickpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Maybe a dumb question never having used a baby seat, but wouldn’t the baby be visible (or at least visible enough) in the rear view mirror to know if it was ok vs in distress?
baby seats are rear facing for first 3-4 years I believe so you can’t see if there having any trouble - it’s all new to me tho?.
apparently a lot use mirrors but, if you’re a techie type, you want a cam and screen ?

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
The driver isn't watching the iPad (or other device) but if it were possible (via a hack) watching a video stream would be clearly visible.

Up to the driver to do what they do but the manufacturer will make every effort to prevent / make it difficult.
If I remember right, the passenger screen turns on only when one sits on the seat...

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Years ago someone created a “mod” to add a front parking camera to the model S. It added a camera to the front and a switch that allowed you to select the front or rear camera. This fed the MCU where the image was displayed.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-front-camera-touchscreen-kit/amp/

You might be able to use a similar approach. Unfortunately the parking cameras are only viewable on the main display and not the passenger display.

If the passenger display were in fact a separate display you could try to introduce a switch there, but my recollection is a tear down revealed that the main display and passenger display were in fact one large (wide) display.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
if mom is this concerned about the baby's well being she could always sit in the rear with the baby while traveling in the car