ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I just bought a Mercedes AMG, my second car, and compared to the Porsche Taycan 4S, they're backup camera is simply exquisite. Why is the backup camera of the Porsche a much more expensive car terrible? My daughter who drives a Mazda 3 series, claims that her backup camera is better than that of my Porsche Taycan 4S?
Does anybody know, if there are any plans for them to improve their software, because I think the camera is okay it's just the software that renders the image is terrible and moves every time you turn the steering wheel!!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't see the issue with the cameras, selectable views (fish eye / non-fisheye), camera mirrors work really well with selectable forward and rear view and I think the directional view is useful too as is the integrated rear washer.

I know many on this forum would differ but I just don't see the problem(s) - all looks rather clear.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I don't see the issue with the cameras, selectable views (fish eye / non-fisheye), camera mirrors work really well with selectable forward and rear view and I think the directional view is useful too as is the integrated rear washer.

I know many on this forum would differ but I just don't see the problem(s) - all looks rather clear.
All I can say, You must have a completely different back up camera than what I have. Even trying to switch view it is really a very bad implementation. Compared to a BMW or Mercedes camera this is beginners stuff. I have experienced anything this bad in any car produced after 2010.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag

I agree. It is totally adequate to the purpose.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

because going from the fish eyed view to the non fish eyed view requires another input, far lessor cars have better cameras

Oysterquartz

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have the fish eye effect going on too, but don't really mind as it fits it purpose and doesn't affect me too much.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Guys (apologies for asking) but you know you can switch views - fish eye / non-fish eye - I expect you do?

I came from a Panamera with the same 360 view setup - apart from a larger PCM, everyone remarked on how clear the camera views were - and in the Taycan (apart from a slightly smaller PCM screen) I see no difference. I've not seen better in BMWs, Mercs, others this side of the pond.

Must be different in US I guess.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Indeed, no problem whatsoever over here too.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
The distortion on the individual cameras makes it impossible for me to gauge distance more than about a foot away. I rely almost entirely on the top-down view, which I absolutely love.

If I'd been coming from a car that had 360-view parking cameras, maybe I would feel differently. But as it is, my previous car had a backup camera only.

OP
OP
ujjtaycan4s

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Guys, for those of you who feel that this backup camera is adequate, please go ahead and sit in a Mercedes...... any model, and backup, and you will realize what one of the guys posted. This is 2010 stuff and really is a pity for Porsche to be producing this kind of quality. As I'm the one who started this discussion I thought I'd weigh in, and I'm sorry to say that functionally my daughter's Mazda 3 series has a better camera even though it doesn't have a 360° camera the camera is designed for backing up into tight spots...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Guys, for those of you who feel that this backup camera is adequate, please go ahead and sit in a Mercedes...... any model, and backup, and you will realize what one of the guys posted. This is 2010 stuff and really is a pity for Porsche to be producing this kind of quality. As I'm the one who started this discussion I thought I'd weigh in, and I'm sorry to say that functionally my daughter's Mazda 3 series has a better camera even though it doesn't have a 360° camera the camera is designed for backing up into tight spots...
I'd second this.
I don't know if it's software or hardware related, but IMHO on my last/recent vehicles as Mazda6, Nissan Navara, Renault Koleos, even Suzuki Vitara - all off them have better views on rear camera than Taycan.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
The distortion on the individual cameras makes it impossible for me to gauge distance more than about a foot away. I rely almost entirely on the top-down view, which I absolutely love.
I agree totally. In my previously owned BMW 6 GC without surround view and the X5 my wife has (with 360 view) I can rely on driving backwards looking only at the screen without using the mirrors.

In the Taycan I'm always checking and double checking in the mirrors, then it beeps and I hit the brakes like an idiot, because I think I'm almost hitting something. The non fish-eye view works much better, but no guidance lines present and again another button the push. pfff.

- getting in the car
- switch to individual mode
- wait for homelink
- open garage door
- put in reverse
- switch camera to normal mode
- drive out of garage
- put in park or close camera view
- press to close garage door
- put in reverse again to drive towards the street
- put camera in normal mode
- select drive to leave
- close homelink because the selection menu stays visible
- toggle between radio and online radio, because otherwise no music
- put my lights on, because I like the rear red bar ?

My finger hurts, just writing this.

For example; I recently had a Macan for a day. Big surprise when I put the car in reverse with a perfect visibility.

Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? 1630496897746

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
Interestingly, back onto the reversing camera - I have always thought mine was dreadful, but put it down to its position on the back of the lower-rear, hard to keep clean etc. No personal issue with the way the software / guideline works, just image quality itself. Totally different to the front camera quality.

I raised this with my dealer today as the car was in for its safety recall-update, and they looked at it and said its clearly a faulty camera unit and it needs replacing. It is of course...on back order...so it will have to wait. Apparently quite common. so if yours has a cloudy/unclear image, it could be this.

I cant believe I have lived with it for 9 months! Should clean my car more often

Reactions: B61

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The backup camera in the Taycan sucks. Period. It really isn't a point up for debate IMO, because you can simply compare it to most other cars, and even my F150 truck, and the resolution is terrible. I'll post some comparison pics later, but I don't understand the folks that are saying '...it's fine...'. It is not fine, it is terrible, and Porsche needs to improve it.

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
Just took delivery of my 4S on Monday and love everything about it apart from the hilariously bad reverse camera and 360 view. i suspect it is a software/stitching issue as the cameras seem to be of reasonably good quality.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61