First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Team,

I recently had the cord on my PMCC that was delivered with my wife’s 2021 Cayenne go bad. Something happened to the cord from the EVSE “head unit” to the vehicle - when plugged in the EVSE would not recognize it was connected to a vehicle and therefore didn’t allow any charging.

Porsche dealer was great at the swap of the part and replaced under full warranty - but the charger was offline while we obtained the replacement cord - it took 2 weeks - now I have lots and lots of EVSE’s at my house so I was good - but things can happen and if you are waiting for EVSE parts - even if they are replaced under warranty - it would be awkward to be with out home charging while waiting for your charger to be fixed or replaced.

I highly recommend a backup EVSE (there are affordable ones out there) so that you have home charging if your main EVSE is unavailable for what ever reason.

I can recommend the Mustart EVSE as an affordable backup EVSE to have on hand for emergency duty. 1 2nd Porsche charger would also work fine, but Porsche’s pricing for their EVSE is quite expensive ($2500 or more vs. Mustart for less than $400)

having a spare/backup EVSE is not a bad plan so that you’re never without charging.

If your main charger is hardwired - I’d recommend having a NEMA 14-50/14-30 plug on hand for emergency use if your main hard wired charger is offline for some reason.

just a heads up for the well prepared EV owner.

if my wife’s PMCC was the only EVSE I had - it would‘ve been 2 or more weeks with no way to charge the Cayenne hybrid - or my Taycan…but I had spare chargers on hand from years of EV ownership…

a $400 or less EVSE on hand as a backup may make your life easier at some point in the future.
Sponsored