DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So I'm not gonna lie...I had a bad EV day today.

I went from Dallas to Temple - generally going to Round Rock or Austin is something I frequently do and it's usually no big deal with the Bellmead (Waco) EA charger in the middle.

Today on the way out, it had me use an EVGo charger in DeSoto on the way out.
Weird, but I rolled with it. It gave me another charger to add to my app.

After meeting in Temple, on the way back the car wanted me to *continue* going south to Georgetown and pick up some lame Chargepoint charger at like 65kW.

I said screw you car and forced my way to Bellmead instead...which is when I discovered 4/6 chargers were dead, and there was a wait for the two that worked. Lovely. When it goes to my turn, the car suggested I bail out of there for Ennis after a short amount, which I did.

When I got to Ennis, 3/4 chargers were dead. No wait, but the one that worked was less than 50% the rated speed and only delivered 65kW. I burned a lot of time trying and trying on the 350s.

Long story short, EA was trash today and it made my drive home suck.
I did make my own situation worse though by not trusting the PCM's suggestions.

You can see how much charge time and overhead I had.

Porsche Taycan Bad EA Day - Dallas <--> Temple TX Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 6.39.07 PM
Porsche Taycan Bad EA Day - Dallas <--> Temple TX Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 6.39.25 PM

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I am surprised that this came as a surprise to you since you have been around for a while, and you have logged some serious miles in your car.

Did you not check Plugshare to get charger location status? I will not go anywhere without checking charger status on Plugshare first so I know what to expect, especially when it comes to Electrify America locations. Many sites have up to half of the chargers out of commission.

Even in a EV friendly state like Colorado where we have more Electrify America locations in the Denver metro area alone than all of Texas there are sites that are struggling operationally. That heat and humidity in Texas has to be super hard on that equipment.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am surprised that this came as a surprise to you since you have been around for a while, and you have logged some serious miles in your car.
My EA experiences have been really pretty good save for Mustang blockers and on rare occasions, a wait. I guess I was overly confident.

Did you not check Plugshare to get charger location status? I will not go anywhere without checking charger status on Plugshare first so I know what to expect, especially when it comes to Electrify America locations. Many sites have up to half of the chargers out of commission.
I failed to do that this time. I've done Dallas<-->Austin so many times I just wasn't really worried about it. Lesson learned! And I'm driving to TN tomorrow so I will double check my route and look for fallbacks just in case.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I failed to do that this time. I've done Dallas<-->Austin so many times I just wasn't really worried about it. Lesson learned! And I'm driving to TN tomorrow so I will double check my route and look for fallbacks just in case.
[/QUOTE]

Good luck on the drive, and hopefully the weather cooperates. I saw footage of some of the flooding in the DFW area from the rains yesterday. You may have to fit pontoons on the car just in case!

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
So I'm not gonna lie...I had a bad EV day today.

I went from Dallas to Temple - generally going to Round Rock or Austin is something I frequently do and it's usually no big deal with the Bellmead (Waco) EA charger in the middle.

Today on the way out, it had me use an EVGo charger in DeSoto on the way out.
Weird, but I rolled with it. It gave me another charger to add to my app.

After meeting in Temple, on the way back the car wanted me to *continue* going south to Georgetown and pick up some lame Chargepoint charger at like 65kW.

I said screw you car and forced my way to Bellmead instead...which is when I discovered 4/6 chargers were dead, and there was a wait for the two that worked. Lovely. When it goes to my turn, the car suggested I bail out of there for Ennis after a short amount, which I did.

When I got to Ennis, 3/4 chargers were dead. No wait, but the one that worked was less than 50% the rated speed and only delivered 65kW. I burned a lot of time trying and trying on the 350s.

Long story short, EA was trash today and it made my drive home suck.
I did make my own situation worse though by not trusting the PCM's suggestions.

You can see how much charge time and overhead I had.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 6.39.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 6.39.25 PM.png
Did you make money on the PS5 to justify the trip?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My EA experiences have been really pretty good save for Mustang blockers and on rare occasions, a wait. I guess I was overly confident.

That is how Electrify America gets you. They lull you into a false sense of security with a good run of charging sessions. Then boom. You have to wait for 90 minutes to get a access to the one working charging cabinet because two Chevy Bolts got there ahead of you!

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Did you make money on the PS5 to justify the trip?
It wasn't about that - a friend has been trying to find one and I managed to grab one for MSRP. Did not charge anything for it.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
It wasn't about that - a friend has been trying to find one and I managed to grab one for MSRP. Did not charge anything for it.
Woohoo!

Hope you guys get some good co-op sessions in!

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is the car smart enough to avoid broken chargers? Is that why it was sending you elsewhere?

(I'm in the Georgetown area and picking up my car next week, so interested to understand how to plan the road trip home)
Sponsored