Bad news, Another Taycan is Down

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings all. Somber news this evening.

I got in my car, disconnected my AC charger, turned the car on and was met with the Electrical System Fault, park car error message in blood red. The car would not go into gear, and is now a very heavy, expensive, and beautiful paperweight. I'm going to let the car sit overnight and hope the message is gone in the morning, but I wanted to canvas the collective knowledge on here and see if anyone has had any luck with this message "fixing itself". I really hope I don’t have to get this towed to the dealer (60 miles away) and wait 8 months for a new battery....... HELP! :crying:
Sponsored

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
You got into your car then disconnected ac or you disconnected ac then got into your car are completely different story. Most of the EV error message are related to the low 12V battery voltage. I hope this is the case for you, easy to fix.

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I disconnected first then turned on the car.

The good news is, I gave the car 30 minutes, came back, and everything was normal. I took the car around the block, restarted it twice and everything was business as usual. Perhaps this was a freak thing but now my guard is up. I'm taking her up to DC tomorrow so if she pitches a fit there'll be a multitude of dealers nearby at least.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
If it helps I’ve only had this happen once ever in 15 months, about one month into ownership - and has never recurred since.

Did the same park, shut down and left for 40 minutes and all was AOK - but happened to me in a supermarket parking area on a long vacation trip from home so was anxious to say the least.

I had recently used my Tesla adapter on a destination charger at a B&B and seemed to work fine although the fit (first time use) was extremely tight and I initially put the electrical car error down to an imperfect connection despite that charging session working again perfectly fine.

In hindsight I suspect that the TeslaTap had in fact nothing to do with it as happened 2 hours and some 20 miles away from that destination charge and more likely just an in-car tech hiccup as many others have experienced here.

Again car has been flawless ever since and hopefully the same for you.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Buy quickly a booster for your 12V battery.
Mine started like you then was sent to the dealer on a flat bed.
And since it came back I still had to use a a booster 3 times to start the 12V.
Once the engine is on, the car will recharge itself and you can drive.
I’m 1000km from my dealer for the moment but the car is going back for service on Friday with a long list of things to solve including the 12V battery, the Clim/heater…

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
call your service dept and let them know and ask if it needs service. at the very least ask them to document what happened, especially if still within warranty period. that way if it happens outside of warranty, you have documentation to show it was an issue while in warranty.

Tdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
had this message as well, but in orange not red after a failes charging session.
i could drive after resetting with the two finder method after shutting down the car - let it reset - turn the car on and put in D immediately.
This way i could get back home but as soon as i putted the car in P or restarded the message would pop up again and charging my car would be impossible.

So sended an angry message to my dealership saying i would turn in my car the morning after (it was sunday) and expect a quick solution - i could still drive with the reset avoiding the error.
Got a nice replacement car - solution was changing the complete DC chargingsystem (i have the 22kw updgrade not sure if the error is more frequent here) car was fixed in a week, i'm happy again becouse the taycan is amazing to drive.. really missed my ev

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I had recently used my Tesla adapter on a destination charger at a B&B and seemed to work fine although the fit (first time use) was extremely tight
My TeslaTap Mini was fine for the Tesla 40A mobile connector, and Gen3 Wall Connectors I encountered on my roadtrip, but really tight for the 80A Gen2 HPWC (apparently the handle is slightly larger). A little bit of inert, non-conductive, plastic safe lubricant solved the problem. Didn't take much at all.

Cdeedee

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just happened to me this morning, first time ever. December 2020 4s model.

Unplugged from work level 2 charger (was in blue wait mode). Got in and was greeted by message. I turned off car, got out, turned back and thought let me check again, and it was gone. Got in turned off/on a few times, no error, drove home. took it to dealer, now we wait.

i absolutely love the car, had no real issues for 18 months, then had the issue with alarm going crazy upon locking a month or so ago, now this. not a great trend

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
The red electrical error will sometimes clear itself quickly (like the yellow electrical). However, if after waiting and coming back and it does not clear itself, call for the tow truck. The more times you keep checking it and trying to get it to clear, you are draining the 12v battery as the problem is the HV battery. I went and bought a Jump box as the 12v eventually drained.

Red Electrical is either HV cell(s) gone bad, entire HV battery needing replacement, or the HV charger. Mine is the HV cell. Went down 1/21 and part arrived yesterday. Waiting on the tech to fly in. I have heard the HV battery is the 6-8 month wait as the only ones available have all been spoken for. Porsche needs to prioritize these parts production and delivery.

Cdeedee

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
good info. Did you feel confident your service dept would be able to correctly identify root cause? Does it require the dealer being able to get the error to manifest again? I’m worried they’ll contact me and say it looks fine to us

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It took my dealer 2 weeks to diagnose. They had to send the car logs to Germany 2 times in order to determine the cause. Then they ordered the part (shipped out of Germany) and scheduled the FTM (flying doctor). The part arrived a month later, they had pulled the battery and find out the part is the wrong one (reversed polarity). So my car has been sitting in the shop with the battery out and they order the part again. If finally arrived this week. Waiting on the technician to come in. Keep in mind there was a lot of my time with the dealer and Porsche North America (my rep from PCNA actually discovered the part number had changed and it was in Atlanta and got it shipped).

Supposedly, there are only regional technicians that are authorized to do the repair. Dealer drops the battery, but the FTM does the repair. 3 days to repair and 2 days to test. I did hear one guy who the dealer, doing the charge, discharge, charge, discharge drove the car around and put 500 miles. I already advised my PCNA rep that I know the exact mileage on my car and there is no need to drive that many miles. They can discharge in the shop.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
good info. Did you feel confident your service dept would be able to correctly identify root cause? Does it require the dealer being able to get the error to manifest again? I’m worried they’ll contact me and say it looks fine to us
Good luck. I'm one of the ones waiting on a battery. It took my dealer two visits to diagnose. On the first trip, the error never appeared in the time it was there despite their testing. On the second trip, the error wouldn't clear. About 5-7 days later they got the word from Germany that I needed a new battery. This has been ongoing for me since January 20....

Cdeedee

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good luck. I'm one of the ones waiting on a battery. It took my dealer two visits to diagnose. On the first trip, the error never appeared in the time it was there despite their testing. On the second trip, the error wouldn't clear. About 5-7 days later they got the word from Germany that I needed a new battery. This has been ongoing for me since January 20....
just got back from swapping my enterprise rental for a Porsche loaner, so that’s something, I guess. I asked about progress, said the logs have been sent to Atlanta. Apparently something indicating the controller unit might be at fault, which they said are available but requires taking battery out to replace. Likely 2-3 weeks minimum

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just got back from swapping my enterprise rental for a Porsche loaner, so that’s something, I guess. I asked about progress, said the logs have been sent to Atlanta. Apparently something indicating the controller unit might be at fault, which they said are available but requires taking battery out to replace. Likely 2-3 weeks minimum
Did they mention a PRMS? In my case, the put out a PRMS which was a request to Porsche along with the logs from the car. My understanding was that it went into a queue and would wait to be selected. They said it went to Germany. Once reviewed, Porsche Germany would send back things to try. It took 2 PRMS and 2 weeks to diagnose a bad HV Cell.
Sponsored