f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I'd be really curious to see track times on a wet track for base RWD taycan vs. 4S. My guess is that the lighter RWD Taycan may have higher speed in the bends than the 4S, thanks to reduced weight from the lack of FWD and the smaller battery. Maybe enough to match the 4S time.
The power to weight will favour the 4S.
The RWD may be nicer to drive on the road but on a track the 4S will probably be quicker wet or dry.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cheapest? Really?
Yes.
There are over a dozen Taycan models. The base RWD is the cheapest of them.

I didn't claim it was cheap.

I have no idea about US prices. Here I wouldn't spend over £100k on a base model.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Having been issued a base RWD as a loaner for my 4S and also spending an afternoon in a turbo at PEC Atlanta I can tell you that while the base RWD is an ok car it isn't close to a 4s and the 4s is a fine car but the turbo has so much more oomph.

so if you are ok with just ok there is nothing wrong with a basic RWD car but it in no way offers the pleasures the AWD models offer.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
The only time the rwd feels tepid to me Is from 0 to 10mph. Feels like it has been electrically nerfed to limit the 0 to 60 time. After that it feels fine. It does everything I need it to do. Feels faster than my old car. I think that is all that is important.

I have said it before, what I like best about the rwd is the extra feedback I get through the steering Wheel. The 4s steering feels numb to me. To me, steering wheel feel is part of why I buy a Porsche

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve driven the base, 4S, and Turbo. All good cars. It’s really just about how much you want to spend. IMO, from a dynamic perspective, the options you choose are as much, if not more important than the power. I have a 4S and it’s way more power than I really need.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I agree that the RWD is sluggish 0-10 mph. Then on it's pretty quick.
Up and moving it is very nippy (faster than my previous M2 was) in real world driving.

No idea how it compares to the other models as I've not driven any of them.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
but the winter tyres work wonders in wet and cold (< 10 C) conditions, the braking, cornering is just ...
that's a big and old urban myth and widely disproved.
quite fresh summer tire are always superior to winter tires even if below 10° and or wet.
And the difference is never even a tiny one! it's big like >3m for a 100-0 brake.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
ever did some vbox timed braking, acceleration and slalom tests with both winter+summer tires, same dimensions on the same car at the same day with wet and/or ~5C ?

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
that's a big and old urban myth and widely disproved.
quite fresh summer tire are always superior to winter tires even if below 10° and or wet.
And the difference is never even a tiny one! it's big like >3m for a 100-0 brake.
I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that… based on my own experience.

Last December, I had just replaced all 4 tyres on my BMW 535 with brand new Michelin PS4S Summer tyres. My rear tyre got a nail within a week. Managed to get it repaired, but within another day, I damaged my front left on the motorway. Big cut in the tyre with debris on the road. Had to be towed.

Long story short, I replaced lol 4 tyres (as I had planned a car trip to Chamonix in the meanwhile, so needed winter tyres) with Conti Winters on the fronts and Michelin Alpines on the back.

I could see a clear difference straight away. I have a couple of roundabouts on my way to work, and on a wet day, the rears never broke, neither did the traction light come on. On my summer treads, on a wet day (same time of year) I manage to get my rear out and the traction light blinking almost every time.

In my humble opinion, the winters definitely provide greater grip and cornering over summers in wet cold days. I am no expert… but I definitely rate the winters (at least the Michelin Alpines) way better in cold wet conditions than Michelins PS4S.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Traction is controlled by PASM (and its equivalent for other makes) in modern cars so neither low driver skill nor high wheel torque create a real world problem.
Sorry to pick you up on this one. PASM is the active suspension management that has nothing to do with traction. PSM is probably what you mean - Porsche stability management

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to pick you up on this one. PASM is the active suspension management that has nothing to do with traction. PSM is probably what you mean - Porsche stability management
Indeed it was.
I am not a fan of the letter descriptions I often get them wrong.
Sorry.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
As is often the case with Porsche, base is best as the saying goes. Meaning the base car usually gets the best / most rewarding drive, and the best value. It seems to echo what many have written on this very forum.
In the Apple News link below, the story comes to this conclusion
“The Base Porsche Taycan Is the One to Get
Porsche’s rear-wheel-drive Taycan is its cheapest EV, and might be its best.”

https://apple.news/A0Af6NqPSQWOXhO2lphzKSQ
In my experience with the brand these past 40 years or so, it is the "S" series that holds its value best over the long term, and it certainly provides a better drive experience over the base. However this is one case where I am glad I stuck with the base model, partly due to constraints on my budget and research I did in advance. Anything faster will simply allow me to catch up to traffic faster and/or collect more speeding tickets.

Of course anyone that spent more will want to justify it, and it's certainly their prerogative to spend as much as they want on a car. I also own Porsche stock, so please go for it!
Sponsored