Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
ever did some vbox timed braking, acceleration and slalom tests with both winter+summer tires, same dimensions on the same car at the same day with wet and/or ~5C ?
Strangely just about every car mag and tire site has, and they all conclude that below 45 degrees F, the winter tire offers better traction because it’s designed to remain flexible, whereas a summer tire does not.

See the winter tire comments in this:

https://www.americastire.com/learn/winter-summer-allseason?storeCode=1481

And my comment was also that you made a blanket generalization about ‘summer’ tire and temp range. A Cup2 is a summer tire. Do you think it has better grip in sub freezing temperatures than a winter tire? How about in the rain? Ever driven a car like that?
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Porsche should have made a RWD GTS that is both fast and light (including an ST version). This would have been the best of all worlds. I like the current RWD model but it just isn’t powerful enough for such an expensive vehicle.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Tesla certainly has changed our perception on not only what fast is but what should be fast….

If Teslas first vehicle was garbage truck, we’d probably all have expectations that garbage trucks should be sub 3 sec 0-60…

For me, the reality is that I have a family of 4 and needed a 4 door sedan that could be a family car (already own a Model S as well). The RWD version of the Taycan serves this the best. Now it’s a Porsche, so I expect it to be a really fun 4 door 5 seater family sedan to drive, but when did I start expecting my 4 door 5 seat family sedan to out accelerate a 2 seat, 2 door race car?

And the CT is even a 4 door, 5 seater station wagon…. Porsche did a pretty good job of upgrading that from its peer in the movie “National Lampoon Vacation” Wagon Queen family truckster. But I’m not sure I really need a sub 3 second station wagon…

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's all relative but I'm thinking 0-to-60 in something like 5 seconds qualifies as 'fast'. My 2003 911 6-speed was just under 5 seconds (not a turbo).
Its the real world driving time (80-120kmh) that's more important to me.
What you use for overtaking, rather than traffic light drag races.

With the PB+, the RWD is pretty close to a 4S.

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan is best - Road & Track review 1651862655911

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Its the real world driving time (80-120kmh) that's more important to me.
What you use for overtaking, rather than traffic light drag races.

With the PB+, the RWD is pretty close to a 4S.

1651862655911.png
Intrigued, and now sceptical, to see in this table that the 54bhp extra of the performance battery 80-120 is 10% quicker on the base model but the same power increment makes no difference on a 4S

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Intrigued, and now sceptical, to see in this table that the 54bhp extra of the performance battery 80-120 is 10% quicker on the base model but the same power increment makes no difference on a 4S
As others have commented on various threads, the base 4 seems to have been ‘software limited’ by Porsche to create a product differentiator. Capability wise, it probably is as fast as a Taycan 4S (barring the extra traction of AWD).
Maybe someone someday will find a software tune for the RWD.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As others have commented on various threads, the base 4 seems to have been ‘software limited’ by Porsche to create a product differentiator. Capability wise, it probably is as fast as a Taycan 4S (barring the extra traction of AWD).
Maybe someone someday will find a software tune for the RWD.
It certain feels like it is throttled back from a standing start (0-20 mph say).

I always assumed it was software limited to avoid wheelspin off the line.
I now think its maybe more to do with the model pecking order and 0-60 times.

KeithTaycan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RWD Taycan
Country flag
All said and done the base Taycan’s pickup feels tepid and underwhelming. 4S really is the sweet spot imho.
I have a RWD Base, and it is a rocket on land. Zero to oh my gawd in .05 seconds.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yes.
There are over a dozen Taycan models. The base RWD is the cheapest of them.

I didn't claim it was cheap.

I have no idea about US prices. Here I wouldn't spend over £100k on a base model.
Next month I will take delivery of my 2022 RWD @ US$98,600 incl. premium pkg., 21" wheels, frozen blue, etc. before taxes and EV state and federal rebates :cool:

want an enjoyable electric mode, doesn't have to be shocking

Last edited:

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Great idea, just incredibly underpowered.
They should have done an S or saved the RWD for a coupe.

They’re also basing their rating largely on the car being cheaper. I would expect as much from a regular news outlet or tech periodical, but not from a driver’s magazine.

Last edited:

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
It certain feels like it is throttled back from a standing start (0-20 mph say).

I always assumed it was software limited to avoid wheelspin off the line.
I now think its maybe more to do with the model pecking order and 0-60 times.
I had a similar impression while driving it. The hardware is just fine and it’s artificially software hobbled. But hobbled it is. The 4S is fast and feels fast but not scary fast unlike the Turbo and Turbo S. Ideal for a daily driver.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Next month I will take delivery of my 2022 RWD @ US$98,600 incl. premium pkg., 21" wheels, frozen blue, etc. before taxes and EV state and federal rebates :cool:

want an enjoyable electric mode, doesn't have to be shocking
Bingo. It's amazing. I just like cruising. Absolutely no rush getting where I need to go to. Give way to everyone. Let everyone out in front. Wave to other Taycan drivers. Put some music on. And enjoy!

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Bingo. It's amazing. I just like cruising. Absolutely no rush getting where I need to go to. Give way to everyone. Let everyone out in front. Wave to other Taycan drivers. Put some music on. And enjoy!
Yes, yes, yes! Enjoy cruising, albeit don't like following smartphone-centric drivers - enjoy the open space :involve:
PS: very much like your red Taycan; would be my next selection
PSS: put some music on > Gary Numan "Are friends electric", The Cult "Electric"....

Last edited:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’d argue my $125k 4S is better than their $120k base,
Great idea, just incredibly underpowered.
They should have done as S or saved the RWD for a coupe.

They’re also basing their rating largely on the car being cheaper. I would expect as much from a regular news outlet or tech periodical, but not from a driver’s magazine.
I’d take my $125k 4S over their $120k base all day.
Sponsored