WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Intrigued, and now sceptical, to see in this table that the 54bhp extra of the performance battery 80-120 is 10% quicker on the base model but the same power increment makes no difference on a 4S
Me too. I've just checked the Porsche website- it says 3.0s regardless of battery capacity.
PB+ figures:
Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) with Launch Control 5.4 s
Acceleration 0-124 mph (0-200 km/h) with Launch Control 16.5 s
Acceleration 49-74 mph (80-120km/h) 3.0 s
Sponsored

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I’d argue my $125k 4S is better than their $120k base,

I’d take my $125k 4S over their $120k base all day.
The options that make the base more expensive are cheaper as you go up the model line, so that makes sense.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
So what have we learned from these videos and this thread so far?

It’s all incredibly subjective. If you’re happy with your Taycan, then that’s the right one for you.
I agree with this. If Porsche made the RWD a GTS with more power and a bit lighter, they could have charged even more for the “driver’s car” and it would possibly be the pick of the litter.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
a 4S with ever possible option you can afford that is.
Not really tbh. The 2 “useful” options for our 4S were the RWS and PB+. Everything else was borderline cosmetic based on the use it’s put to.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
a 4S with ever possible option you can afford that is.
That was my strategy. I came in from a Tesla Model X Performance with Ludicrous mode. The truth is that I rarely had the opportunity to enjoy the full benefits of 0-60 in 2.7s in my Model X, so I passed on the Taycan Turbo S. I don’t believe in buying electric cars (I lease) because they are changing so quickly, so I found out from Porsche which model had the best money factor (i.e., lowest predicted depreciation), and that was the 4S. I like it and it seems like a great choice. I do notice that it is slower than my X, but that’s ok. I really loaded the car up on options, though, and I’m glad I did.

On the AWD/Tires issue, I’m a big fan of winter tires and have always swapped between summer performance and winter on all cars every year. AWD is a waste on a low horsepower car, and absolutely necessary on a high horsepower car. I’m not sure that the 4S needs it, but I don’t think most drivers will notice the extra weight from the AWD system (and yet I optioned ceramic brakes to lower unsprung weight, as if I will ever be driving close enough to the limits to notice — but the ride is great).

Last edited:

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
your link:
The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

huge diff even below 0°C:

different test:

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan is best - Road & Track review 1656313347578

where as the latter tests was showing some advantages on wet, but I guess this highly depends on the wet performance of the summer tire.

my take is: winter tires only perform on snow, but then there is no other option.
For all the rest of the street conditions they suck. Here in my area we have 1-2 days p.a. in avg. with snowy streets. So it makes no sense to switch to winter tires, would be cheaper to drive with a taxi if there is snow :)

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan, '13 911, 01 911, e-tron, Tesla S75D
Country flag
I agree with this. If Porsche made the RWD a GTS with more power and a bit lighter, they could have charged even more for the “driver’s car” and it would possibly be the pick of the litter.
This is exactly what I would have wanted if Porsche were to build one. A Taycan S RWD or something along those lines. I was dead set on RWD for handling and increased over-steer, but my base Taycan power feels artificially limited off the line. Whether that is for tire wear or to create a bigger gap for faster models it certainly feels artificial.

Still happy with the acceleration at speed but if it could have matched the power delivery of my older Model S P85+ which could roast the tires from a stand still that would be perfect.

ruartur

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla X
Country flag
I was initially only looking into 4S and GTS. Budget was not a set number but I wanted to try to keep it as low as possible. I went to test drive it and as I sat into a 4S with standard interior, I thought that the materials looked cheap and was turned off. I understood that I was going to have to option the leather interior as the standard interior was a no go. Then I thought about the other options that would be a must for me such as wheels, ACC, PB+, Premium pack. With that in mind I decided not to test drive the 4S and instead rented a base with leather on Turo. I did not want to drive the higher model and feel like I’m missing something with the base. There were no base taycans available for test drive in my area. I had the base Taycan for a day and I fell in love with it, especially the Bordeaux leather interior.

Next week I was lucky enough to find a nicely optioned base Taycan at a dealer and purchased it. It is white/Bordeaux, ACC PB+, premium pack, tech pack, massage seats (favorite feature), sports chrono.

I’m coming from a model x 90d and even though the Tesla accelerated faster it did not feel good doing it. Acceleration is just one small part of the driving experience. The taycan gives the full experience including the ride comfort, handling, steering. It’s just in another league. For my driving style the taycan is excellent. It feels like the acceleration is electronically limited off the line. But once you are moving, it is purely effortless. I never once regretted going with the high optioned base model. I love the options and they make the ownership experience so much better.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
This is exactly what I would have wanted if Porsche were to build one. A Taycan S RWD or something along those lines. I was dead set on RWD for handling and increased over-steer, but my base Taycan power feels artificially limited off the line. Whether that is for tire wear or to create a bigger gap for faster models it certainly feels artificial.

Still happy with the acceleration at speed but if it could have matched the power delivery of my older Model S P85+ which could roast the tires from a stand still that would be perfect.
I posted that 718 EV post yesterday. Clearly Porsche knows how to do a RWD high performance EV. They are saving it for other models.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
High performance RWD doesn't really make too much sense on a 4-door family saloon / wagon.
I agree with RAHRCR, they're probably saving it for a 2-door sports model, be it an EV Boxster or 911.
Have that differentiation between product lines.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I never once regretted going with the high optioned base model. I love the options and they make the ownership experience so much better.
I agree. While the options can really increase the cost, having them available makes the car special.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I really like that my car is tailored exactly to me. I like the options I selected.

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan is best - Road & Track review 88A689B0-6EDA-4003-82FD-047DE9B84C27

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Me too. I've just checked the Porsche website- it says 3.0s regardless of battery capacity.
PB+ figures:
Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) with Launch Control 5.4 s
Acceleration 0-124 mph (0-200 km/h) with Launch Control 16.5 s
Acceleration 49-74 mph (80-120km/h) 3.0 s
I put together that summary performance chart that was shared, using the german website couple months ago and i could assure you that up until april 2022 or so there was a separate line for RWD PB+ 80-120km figure which was showing 2.7 sec (vs 3.0 sec for PB). Then some time around May porsche eliminated that second line for PB+ and Left only one line that shows 3 sec without indicating which version it refers to. They still show cross tourismo 4 80-120 kmh at 2.6 seconds (same power with RWD PB+). There are also multiple official porsche docs that 2.7 sec appeared for PB+, i will dig and find. In reality PB+ beats PB by half a second 0-160km by official measures. Both 0-100 and 80-120km times can not be the same for both cars. (If true that would indicate a whopping 0.5 sec difference between two cars from 120km to 160km). Power difference can not be that non-linear. it is my speculation that porsche conveniently eliminated that stat given it created the impression that PB+ sits right in the middle between a RWD PB and 4S in day to day in-gear performance (which i think is the reality btw, having driven both PB and PB+). Why did they keep the separate 0-160 and 0-200 figures then? My theory is the same positioning problem is not that evident with 0-160 and 0-200 measures as both RWDs still has the substantial 0-30 lag penalty against 4s’s (whether due to traction issues or deliberate software limit as some argue here) so RWD PB+ appears much closer to RWD PB and distant from 4Ss in those metrics.
Sponsored

Last edited: