Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Intrigued, and now sceptical, to see in this table that the 54bhp extra of the performance battery 80-120 is 10% quicker on the base model but the same power increment makes no difference on a 4S
All these figures are measured in launch control mode so you should look at the HP increase in overboost mode.. PB+ gives RWD 16.6% extra power (58hp on top of 408) in overboost, while it gives 4S only 7.7% extra (41 hp on top of 530). So power gain is quite disproportionate and more evident in the case of RWD. Having said that couple months after i prepared that table, porsche stopped publishing separate 80-120 times for PB+ versions, which god knows for what reason (see my speculation in another post down below this thread).
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Having said that couple months after i prepared that table, porsche stopped publishing separate 80-120 times for PB+ versions, which god knows for what reason
It is odd.
For most markets launch is of little importance compared to 80-120.
I have never used a launch control and probably will only try it once to see what it is like.

It is still the case, for me, and I would argue for most drivers even though they may never have realised it, less weight is a more frequent benefit than a bit more power.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I completely agree. I really hate the focus on drag race statistics and would prefer a more realistic comparison stat. Also, I agree wholeheartedly on the point about weight. I wish there were a much greater focus on weight reduction as it has such an amazing benefit for so many characteristics of the car, range, ride comfort, braking distance, acceleration.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I put together that summary performance chart that was shared, using the german website couple months ago and i could assure you that up until april 2022 or so there was a separate line for RWD PB+ 80-120km figure which was showing 2.7 sec (vs 3.0 sec for PB). Then some time around May porsche eliminated that second line for PB+ and Left only one line that shows 3 sec without indicating which version it refers to. They still show cross tourismo 4 80-120 kmh at 2.6 seconds (same power with RWD PB+). There are also multiple official porsche docs that 2.7 sec appeared for PB+, i will dig and find. In reality PB+ beats PB by half a second 0-160km by official measures. Both 0-100 and 80-120km times can not be the same for both cars. (If true that would indicate a whopping 0.5 sec difference between two cars from 120km to 160km). Power difference can not be that non-linear. it is my speculation that porsche conveniently eliminated that stat given it created the impression that PB+ sits right in the middle between a RWD PB and 4S in day to day in-gear performance (which i think is the reality btw, having driven both PB and PB+). Why did they keep the separate 0-160 and 0-200 figures then? My theory is the same positioning problem is not that evident with 0-160 and 0-200 measures as both RWDs still has the substantial 0-30 lag penalty against 4s’s (whether due to traction issues or deliberate software limit as some argue here) so RWD PB+ appears much closer to RWD PB and distant from 4Ss in those metrics.
These were official Porsche figures when I was configuring my car in spring 2021.

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan is best - Road & Track review Screenshot_20210912-065022_Chrome

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan is best - Road & Track review Screenshot_20210912-064847_Chrome

Last edited:

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
All these figures are measured in launch control mode so you should look at the HP increase in overboost mode.. PB+ gives RWD 16.6% extra power (58hp on top of 408) in overboost, while it gives 4S only 7.7% extra (41 hp on top of 530).
Looks like another proof that the RWD is strongly reduced in software for marketing reasons.
They remove 16.6% power in software to make sure it is significantly enough slower than the 4S.

Personally I only used overboost the first week. Never did the effort of activating after that.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These were official Porsche figures when I was configuring my car in spring 2021.

Screenshot_20210912-065022_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210912-064847_Chrome.jpg
Exactly, this was the case when i took delivery of my 2022 RWD. So as long as PB+ did not suddenly slow down (which i highly doubt), porsche just decided to eliminate this data. The point here guys, in my opinion, is PB+ is a no brainer option when it comes to RWD. PB+ Adds 80kgs in weight, and even then it remains as one of the lightest in taycan range. Less than $6K and 80kgs gets you 1- more range and 2-extra 16.7% power. Now compare that to upgrading from a RWD PB+ to a 4s PB+ (which is considered the sweet spot in the entire range by many) that costs you ~$18K (adjusted for air suspension) and 90kgs in weight (on top of rwd PB+), and gives you 19.7% more power and no more range! There is an arbitrage here. I’d still get a 4s PB+ if i could find a reasonable build when i pulled the trigger, but in the absence of that PB+ was a no brainer.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Exactly, this was the case when i took delivery of my 2022 RWD. So as long as PB+ did not suddenly slow down (which i highly doubt), porsche just decided to eliminate this data. The point here guys, in my opinion, is PB+ is a no brainer option when it comes to RWD. PB+ Adds 80kgs in weight, and even then it remains as one of the lightest in taycan range. Less than $6K and 80kgs gets you 1- more range and 2-extra 16.7% power. Now compare that to upgrading from a RWD PB+ to a 4s PB+ (which is considered the sweet spot in the entire range by many) that costs you ~$18K (adjusted for air suspension) and 90kgs in weight (on top of rwd PB+), and gives you 19.7% more power and no more range! There is an arbitrage here. I’d still get a 4s PB+ if i could find a reasonable build when i pulled the trigger, but in the absence of that PB+ was a no brainer.
I know this is not directly relevant because of the different weight and power range and usage but on a Formula 1 car as a rule of thumb 10kg extra weight needs 22 bhp more power to give the same lap time.

You are in the USA which has very different roads and driving conditions to most of Europe so maybe your view is correct for the conditions you experience there.

I ordered a Cross Turismo so the question was moot for me but there will only be 2 or 3 days a year when the extra range of the bigger battery will benefit me whereas the extra weigh is a disadvantage for handling, roadholding, braking and electricity consumtion every day.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this is not directly relevant because of the different weight and power range and usage but on a Formula 1 car as a rule of thumb 10kg extra weight needs 22 bhp more power to give the same lap time.

You are in the USA which has very different roads and driving conditions to most of Europe so maybe your view is correct for the conditions you experience there.

I ordered a Cross Turismo so the question was moot for me but there will only be 2 or 3 days a year when the extra range of the bigger battery will benefit me whereas the extra weigh is a disadvantage for handling, roadholding, braking and electricity consumtion every day.
So 10 kgs is ~1.5% weight gain for an F1 car and 22 hp is ~2% in power increase (depending on what years you were active). Compare that in our example to 4% weight gain vs 17% power gain :) I actually think the CT you ordered is even a better deal than the sedan PB+; CT has a fatter power curve and even better elasticity at speed. True I live in the US but originally European, I'd like to take the backroads vs the highway. I just think weight differences in the entire Taycan range are small given they are over a 2+ Ton plus base. But In the end we are all talking mostly theoretically here. Would be interesting to hear back to back track drive experiences from anyone who tested both on a track. I drove both regular and PB+ on public roads where it was not possible to tell a difference in handling. Performance wise I did not feel a difference from a standstill but once you built some speed PB+ felt noticeably more elastic (which I care more vs 0-60 runs).

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Next month I will take delivery of my 2022 RWD @ US$98,600 incl. premium pkg., 21" wheels, frozen blue, etc. before taxes and EV state and federal rebates :cool:

want an enjoyable electric mode, doesn't have to be shocking
Did you receive it? Curious how you feel the RWD is?

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
this is well stated. If I could get my hands on a 22 brand new 4s then I would take it but these are unicorns. A nicely specced base with PB+ leather seats sport chrono while hard to find isn’t impossible to locate

bottom line: you get into one of the coolest cars out there!

ntom32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD MY22
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an older topic. After few weeks of ownership, I love my RWD, except low speed acceleration. In fact, I am thinking of switching to 4S. But, could bigger wheels (21 over 20) and wider tyres (305 over 285) help? Yes, heavier, but perhaps traction is the limiting factor. Thanks.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an older topic. After few weeks of ownership, I love my RWD, except low speed acceleration. In fact, I am thinking of switching to 4S. But, could bigger wheels (21 over 20) and wider tyres (305 over 285) help? Yes, heavier, but perhaps traction is the limiting factor. Thanks.
The RWD is software limited on power so changing your wheels won't alter your straight line speed
Sponsored