Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Still debating on pulling the trigger for a Taycan and was getting very close to spec’ing my 4S. The base Taycan price point is obviously enticing, my build after options is around 125-130 vs 4S which is 145-150. I probably don’t need all wheel drive but might be a nice to have in inclement weather conditions. I do live in California though so most the time weather shouldn’t be an issue.

I guess my main question or concern is how fun the base will feel during backroads or spirited driving. I would option the bigger battery for more range, so not sure if this affects or changes the 0-60 in 5.1 timing. Obviously that’s no slouch for most cars but in terms of modern sports cars and especially for electric that number sounds somewhat slow. I know Porsche is usually always conservative but still. Say the car is around 0-60 in 4.6 or so. That’s the same as my 2011 Boxster Spyder with PDK and sports chrono. I no longer have that car but just saying.

I have driven the 4S and loved it. Just wonder how the base will feel compared to the 4S. Slower? Lighter and more nimble in anyways?

Appreciate the help and thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
For $130K you can also have a modestly optioned 4S which still has the larger battery, leather seats, etc. Looks like you need to weigh a longer list of options against driving characteristics and horsepower. Tough choice to make unless you can test drive both the base Taycan and the 4S back-to-back.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Still debating on pulling the trigger for a Taycan and was getting very close to spec’ing my 4S. The base Taycan price point is obviously enticing, my build after options is around 125-130 vs 4S which is 145-150. I probably don’t need all wheel drive but might be a nice to have in inclement weather conditions. I do live in California though so most the time weather shouldn’t be an issue.

I guess my mine question or concern is how fun the base will feel during backroads or spirited driving. I would option the bigger battery for more range, so not sure if this affects or changes the 0-60 in 5.1 timing. Obviously that’s no slouch for most cars but in terms of modern sports cars and especialakh electric that number sounds somewhat slow. I know Porsche is usually always conservative but still. Say the car is around 0-60 in 4.6 or so. That’s the same as my 2011 Boxster Spyder with PDK and sports chrono. I no longer have that car but just saying.

I have driven the 4S and loved it. Just wonder how the base will feel compared to the 4S. Slower? Lighter and more nimble in anyways?

I think that the acceleration "feel" is always better and feels quicker in an EV as compared to my ICE cars previously owned. Mainly due to the seamless torque and one or two speed transmission with no loss of torque and acceleration from 0-60 and beyond. I have a long range Tesla Model Y with all wheel drive (non-performance model), and it does 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds and feels really quick. It is quicker off the line due to the inherent advantages of EV powertrains than most every ICE car that I see on the road. My Taycan 4S is even quicker, and it is probably a 4.0 second 0-60 car all day. Unless you are racing the 1-2% of cars that are quicker off the line, the "base" Taycan will be plenty quick for all driving most of us do daily. It should be lighter and have better range and handling also being lighter. I would have strongly considered buying the Taycan over my 4S had it been available at the time I purchased. I have driven the Turbo S Taycan and used launch control as well in that car, and it is amazingly fast, but pretty much unusable 99% of the time. This question really comes down to how important your money is to you. Money to burn, with no desire to save about $60-100k, get a Turbo S. If you don't need to outrun the guys in a Turbo S, Huracan, Ferrari, 911 Turbo S, Tesla Model S,3,Y Performance and you want to save almost $100k, you get a beautiful and really relatively quick compared to 99% of cars, Taycan or Taycan 4S. Really can't go wrong with any of these choices unless you spend more than you really should have for your budget and regret it later. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!

OP
OP

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
4S is definitely plenty for what I need. I don’t plan on drag racing anyone or even doing launch controls. I just want a nice sedan that still feels like a Porsche and can drive spirited on the twisties when needed.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Good question. In my opinion, I'd stick with the T4S if you are into fast / accellerando driving at all.

I have become accustomed to the 4S by now, and if anything, would want the Turbo, but certainly not have less power.

Cheers,
Henrik

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually, the base is probably too slow. I said it.

With that said, I don't think a base Porsche is ever a good call. Get the 4S.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have become accustomed to the 4S by now, and if anything, would want the Turbo, but certainly not have less power.
Same here. My 4s no longer feels fast after the first week. Normal mode feels lethargic and even Sport feels regular. I only appreciate how fast it is after driving another car which I would only do if my car is in for service.
I believe it has to do with how refined the car is and how smoothly it puts down the power.
I recently drove a regular Tesla Model Y which on paper is certainly slower than my 4S. However, it felt more torque-y and I believe it is because it puts the power down more aggressively when you floor it. But then it runs out of steam if you keep the pedal down. The 4s does not feel so fast when you floor it but it does not run out of power as you go faster.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I believe it has to do with how refined the car is and how smoothly it puts down the power.
I recently drove a regular Tesla Model Y which on paper is certainly slower than my 4S. However, it felt more torque-y and I believe it is because it puts the power down more aggressively when you floor it. But then it runs out of steam if you keep the pedal down. The 4s does not feel so fast when you floor it but it does not run out of power as you go faster.
Feels faster but isn't faster. Difference in driving dynamics? Do you have PDCC?

Bottom line: for regular daily driving without Autobahn, the regular Taycan is a fantastic EV.

OP
OP

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Maybe I should slightly re-phrase the question, is there anything about the base that will make the driving experience more fun? Lighter and more nimble front end, etc?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Maybe I should slightly re-phrase the question, is there anything about the base that will make the driving experience more fun? Lighter and more nimble front end, etc?
You can have some non-Porsche-related fun with the extra $25K you are saving.

Jetpilot

First Name
Filippo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
I just bought a 4s, I did like the car but acceleration is ok. The 2 speed transmission was very noticeable to me when you go 0-60 . Did you guys experience the same ? Can you feel the transition or is my car that has a problem ? I have a Tesla X and 3 and the acceleration on those is definitely quicker .

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In December, before the release of the base Taycan, I ordered a Taycan 4S and optioned it to about $138K. Based upon my test drive, it's wicked fast, and I do not regret ordering it as I frankly don't want to delay my delivery any more than I ought to for this car--I want it that bad. That said, if I were ordering today I would be sorely tempted to get the base Taycan as it too is an incredibly fast car, and handles nearly as well as the Taycan 4S, depending on what you're used to or coming from.

I've read and seen on YouTube quite a few reviews of the base Taycan and each one likens it to more of a pure 911 experience--not a bad thing! You'll save about 250lbs gross vehicle weight and most likely see an improvement in range, something I personally would want. There's a ton of reviews here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/2021-taycan-rwd-base-model-reviews-are-here.3791/

Just for yucks, I configured a base Taycan with the Performance Plus battery and the Adaptive Air Suspension (both musts in any case) and the rest of the options I ordered for my 4S and the cost came to about $113K--basically $25K less than the 4S I ordered. Would I miss the additional zero to sixty the 4S offers? I seriously doubt it. And the $25K saved would go a long way to installing solar and a Tesla Powerwall in your home to make you completely energy efficient.

Last edited:

Pete85

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, X1 hybrid
Country flag
I have been lucky to drive both and for me it was a clear situation. Coming from an F80 Comp the 4S was the clear choice for me. The base Taycan was ok, but it did not have the WOW-factor for me. I was not so disappointed in the acceleration itself but how it reacted to throttle especially at higher speeds. The 4S has still a considerably amount of power from 100 km/h upwards and its INSTANT, the base Taycan did not feel at all the same. The rwd felt like it has to build up power first in the engine and then transmit it to the wheels.

I was like 90 % sure I order the base before testdriving it so moving to the 4S and paying 20keur more was not an easy decision. Jetpilot commented that Tesla Model 3 felt faster as Taycan 4S. For me it was contrary (Tesla I drove was Long Range dual AWD with I think has about 460 hp), the Taycan felt clearly faster. Have not driven the Model3 Performance though but on those youtube drag races it was doing around 11.8 for the 1/4 mile and the 4S is definitely capable of that.

I hope this helps. For me the 4S felt much more fun even in curvy roads as it accelerated so much better out of corners.