PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have actually changed my mind and now feel the Base RWD Taycan is too slow. I was expecting it to be into the 4 seconds easily but it's a 5 second plus car, which just doesn't cut it for a six figure car without a stick or NA engine. Hard pass.

As a reference, my iPace felt quick but not fast and the iPace is around 4.3 seconds. Almost a full second slower than that? That's going to feel really glacial without engine sound.

If you want a "pure RWD" experience.. buy a NA Cayman/Boxster and then get the EV Macan as your DD in a year. Same price as a decently optioned RWD Taycan and much, much nicer combination.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
On the hand, there's this review to consider:

Was just going to post this video. This is a very good review from a good reviewer who has driven all levels of the Taycan.

Armyav8tor

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have actually changed my mind and now feel the Base RWD Taycan is too slow. I was expecting it to be into the 4 seconds easily but it's a 5 second plus car, which just doesn't cut it for a six figure car without a stick or NA engine. Hard pass.

As a reference, my iPace felt quick but not fast and the iPace is around 4.3 seconds. Almost a full second slower than that? That's going to feel really glacial without engine sound.

If you want a "pure RWD" experience.. buy a NA Cayman/Boxster and then get the EV Macan as your DD in a year. Same price as a decently optioned RWD Taycan and much, much nicer combination.
A little bird told me it is probably faster than a 5 second plus car. The reviews have all been positive, I’m sure it is a good fit for many. For myself, our 4S replaced the wife’s Audi S4 and AWD is important to her.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
On the hand, there's this review to consider:

This was a really good review and his speed on these roads was still scary fast in the slowest Taycan you can buy. I think a lot of people will be surprised at how fast and how much fun the base Taycan can be. I love my 4S and it is much faster than I need and really fun to drive. I have driven the Turbo S and used Sport Plus and launch control and that car has power and speed that is frankly dangerous for most people to use on public roads. Thanks for posting this video review.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
for me I was looking forward to a 4 base model, however the air suspension in the 4s model is just awesome. i guess you can add it to the base, and thats something i would def consider if ordering a base.

My wife has a tesal model 3 SR+ and i drive it time to time. It is real fun to drive, It shakes and rattles like hell, Its loud, and it very bumpy. does not have the same Pick up as the taycan 4s, but it does have the same if not more range as our 4s. Plus it cost a 1/3 of the price.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Many reviewers say the Taycan is the one to buy if you appreciate handling and driving dynamics, because the RWD model weighs less and doesn't have a motor weighing down the front nose. Many reviewers say, in some ways, it drives more like a 911 than a Taycan Turbo S.

Personally, I don't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times since I don't have a lead foot. If I did, I would probably get the Tesla Model S Plaid+.

Check out these two reviews:

Guards Red Car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2021 Macan S, 2024 Boxster S
Country flag
Base RWD Taycan (with performance battery plus 93kw and NO Sports Chrono package)

Can it be Launched?

Is is there a formal setting for Launch Control?

How is this done?
Thx

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
Base RWD Taycan (with performance battery plus 93kw and NO Sports Chrono package)

Can it be Launched?

Is is there a formal setting for Launch Control?

How is this done?
Thx
Yes, definitely can be Launched! Place in Sport mode; left foot hard on the break; press accelerator and you will see Launch Mode activated. Same procedure as in other trims.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
The initial launch of the RWD was certainly lacking compared to my Tesla Performance, but once going its more than adequate for road use.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
just like my 4s is not as fast as a turbo the RWD is not as fast as a 4s
I am currently in a RWD loaner and while it isn't well optioned up and it isn't nearly as fast as my 4s, it isn't a bad ride.
the rwd has plenty of pep for the driving that most of us do daily and if your budget only allows for the lower priced car, there is nothing wrong with the RWD.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The initial launch of the RWD was certainly lacking compared to my Tesla Performance, but once going its more than adequate for road use.
Agreed. It's fine for 99% of what most people need in a daily duty machine. 30+ is nice. It may feel slower than a Tesla but I feel that is only because the overall quality of the vehicle somewhat masks how fast you're really going.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
or spec it like an idiot (llke me) and you could have bought a Turbo S, except I didnt want another stupidly quick EV, my local police force seem to find me whenever I drive one.......

ives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 4 Gran Coupe, Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
The only way to know is to drive it and have a look at your wallet. After a back to back test drive, I had the feeling that I would try to make as much sacrifices in the options list as possible (exterior styling, interior options like sport chrono, seats, ...) to bring the price of the 4S more in sight of the specced base model.

The RWD was a fantastic drive but it didn't give me a performance feel that I had expected from an EV and a Porsche.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have ordered the RWD and am coming from a BMW M2 (N55).

I seldom (if ever) max the M2 (as its difficult on public roads) and I never track my cars.

I wasn't interested in the 0-60 and was looking for some real world comparison figures.

The only direct figure I could find was the attached - where interestingly in the 80-120kmh the Taycan is fractionally faster.

As I intend to use the Taycan as a more luxurious GT car than a small, fast, light, sport car - I am sure its going to be just fine.

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan...will it feel slow? Screenshot_20210501-104134_Chrome

Porsche Taycan Base Taycan...will it feel slow? Screenshot_20210501-104024_Office

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Just traded in my 2020 M2 for a base Taycan and am happy to have done it. M2 a nice and quick car but much happier w/ Taycan and speed is fine for Grand Touring (which is what I wanted). Taycan ride is much more comfortable than M2.
Sponsored