OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
So let me ask a question (even if a bit off topic): I have an OBDLink CX (110 €). It works both with CarScanner and ABRP but when I insert it in the port while in Park I get a red message on the dashboard ("high voltage system active", or something like that). I read in another forum that this is normal. What do you think?
Mine and others do the same - just a PCM reaction to 3rd party tool but. Nothing to worry about - clears immediately on removal of the OBD2 and does not effect the tool operation on any way.
Sponsored

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
no worry at all!
it's the gateways reaction to any CAN message sent at that OBD port so it's popping up as well at the Porsche dealer with official PIWIS tester!
(BTW: it's the dashboard, not PCM 😎)

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no worry at all!
it's the gateways reaction to any CAN message sent at that OBD port so it's popping up as well at the Porsche dealer with official PIWIS tester!
(BTW: it's the dashboard, not PCM 😎)
I assumed the PCM sent the msg to the dashboard - ?

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
PCM is not involved when you query the CAN bus...PCM is only one of dozens of ECUs on Taycan's many CAN and other busses.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shoulda bought that.

Got a Bluedriver because of the rave reviews. Turns out it is not compatible with the Taycan.
Yes - blue driver excellent and had it for my M4 I sold earlier this year but indeed not yet compatible with Taycan.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
why the MC+?
I'd not spend more than 30 bucks for a China BLE dongle.
If you like to invest more, buy the fast OBDLink CX and support your country's stuff.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
why the MC+?
I'd not spend more than 30 bucks for a China BLE dongle.
If you like to invest more, buy the fast OBDLink CX and support your country's stuff.
I don't generally critique peoples preferences/choices but for me the MC+ has greater vehicle coverage (including an broader range of older models) than the CX, is faster and with a few other differences but yes either one is entirely sufficient depending on your needs. The CX is usually ca $80 here in the US.

PS: can compare both here: https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-cx/

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
no it isn't. way more expensive and you need one of the few supported cars to get some benefit.

please keep in mind:

ELM327 is the common standard, most dongles are based on.
The original is from Canada, they built and specified a serial to OBD/K-Line/CAN adapter on top of a PIC controller and that protocol is now standard.
Usually there is a USB or Bluetooth interface plugged at the OBD to serial chip to useit via cable at a PC or BT with mobiles.

ELM327 was heavily copied by chinese "vendors" after a leak of the PIC firmware etc. , which would be enough stories for a Netflix Miniseries.

Today you cannot but an original dongle, only chips to build your own, but even this is probably not possible anymore:

https://www.elmelectronics.com/

there are only a few vendors that really engineered new ELM compatible devices and extended their capabilities and speed.
One of them is https://www.obdlink.com/ and if you check their devices you will notice that the dongles from vlinker look very similar, but guess what?! They are chinese clones!

Last edited:

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
What app are you using with the vLinker? I downloaded Car Scanner but it's not working.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What app are you using with the vLinker? I downloaded Car Scanner but it's not working.
Works just fine for me - did you chose the Taycan profile built-in when setting up?
Sponsored