Basic spec 4S - What options are a must have?

George-eed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, BMW X4,
Country flag
Hi All
I have just ordered a 4S which is an October build and i need to lock down the spec quickly. This will be a company car and I am having to work to a very strict budget. This is strange for me as a long term Porsche buyer i am used to ticking lots of options but realistically its only the tax benefits and my man maths that has brought the Taycan into the equation so i am having to be very strict. My spec is basically consisting of metallic paint, performance battery and parking sensors but is there anything else that you would deem a must have and that in your opinion i would regret by not adding it now?

Thanks for your help
George
Sponsored

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
As an absolute must for me - performance battery, metallic paint, electric folding mirrors, side window trims in black, sport chrono, automatic dimming interior/exterior mirrors, park assist with either reverse or surround cameras.

As probables (slippery slope!) - 20" wheels as they look miles better, either of the memory seats, LED Headlights with PDLS+, privacy glass, adaptive cruise, electric charging cover.

As nice to have (i mean it's all nice to have, but nicer to have) - comfort access, storage package, heated steering wheel, extended leather, bose audio.

Mine is also due for CP8 / V300 completed on 9th Oct :)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure what "must have" options for a company car mean if metallic paint is in that list ;)

Performance battery - could be must have if range is an issue.

Everything else seems it is more about comfort, convenience (even parking sensors fit into that), performance or appearance, so not as much "must have"..

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
It's a business purchase so it means the more he spends the more tax is saved... therefore everything is a must have ;)

Best just let us spec it for you George!

OP
OP

George-eed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, BMW X4,
Country flag
It's a business purchase so it means the more he spends the more tax is saved... therefore everything is a must have ;)

Best just let us spec it for you George!
Wow, hadn't thought of it that way but it makes total sense now. Thanks Sonic, don't know what I was I thinking but I'm going to call Hatfield first thing in the morning to change it to a Turbo S! :)

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Interesting thread. I was going to post similar. Do you mean a real company car as in provided by your employer or running the car though your business?

I’m in the position where I can order what I’d call a true company car. No upfront costs, pay monthly bik ( reduced in this case) then hand car back at end of term.

Any options I have to pay full cost upfront, and in reality options make no sense as I will get nothing back. In reality can’t order a base car, so have been scouring the options and asking myself what’s a must! Conclusion I’ve come to about 10k so far which is madness really but I honestly don’t think I could run around in a standard 4s.

Mine are more aesthetic and sound driven, met paint, 21s / brakes/ privacy and black window trims. Interior I’ve whittled it down to ambient lighting and sports chrono/ sport sound and I think the 360 cameras and a few other odds. Madness really but if I’m having it for 4 years I think I can justify the cost, however struggling to pull the trigger. So wish they came spec’ed up as would of ordered ages ago.

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mini John Cooper Works
Country flag
My situation was similar. I’ve taken mine as a company car as the tax benefits just make it a no-brainier compared to buying an equivalent value car, but it does make adding options a disproportionate cost.

back to the original question though - I (stupidly) didn’t spec heated seats. I totally missed they didn’t come as standard. Frustratingly I did spec a heated steering wheel as I loved having one on my Macan GTS, so I’ve got toasty hands and a freezing arse when winter hits!

i’ve no idea if they can be retro-fitted but I’m definitely tempted!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’d like to hope for you that the heating elements are standard to the seat and all your missing is the enabling on the pcm & maybe a plug/connector. Be a nice Fod for Porsche.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Agree with the comments above
I ticked loads of boxes on my turbo and one I missed was "storage pack"
At the time I ordered mine there were no pics and limited text on the configurator
Now I have my car and there is nowhere to put my phone while charging (apart from the arm rest that doesn't open properly

it can't be retrofitted either as they have to change the carpets etc

plumandreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4
Country flag
Hi All
I have just ordered a 4S which is an October build and i need to lock down the spec quickly. This will be a company car and I am having to work to a very strict budget. This is strange for me as a long term Porsche buyer i am used to ticking lots of options but realistically its only the tax benefits and my man maths that has brought the Taycan into the equation so i am having to be very strict. My spec is basically consisting of metallic paint, performance battery and parking sensors but is there anything else that you would deem a must have and that in your opinion i would regret by not adding it now?

Thanks for your help
George
The only 'Must have' options i can think of are the bigger battery, auto dimming mirrors and parking sensors.

I love my 21" wheels, glass roof and sports sound. Everything else I could live without. Even the standard half leather interior is nice. I feel a 100K car should have full leather but like you I had to draw the line somewhere. The interior worried me, but the standard interior feels nice and doesnt let the car down.

Almost everything else is personal preference. One persons essential is another persons unnecessary..

I.e. Most seem to have electric charge port covers. Its not even on my list of important items. Charge cables are ugly things. Having a flap sticking out of the car whilst charging is irrelevant to me. But for many the 'coolness' makes it a must have.

Maybe its easier to say what I definitely wouldn't add

360 degree camera. Terrible. Not worth the money. Hope they fix it
PCCBS's - Good on my GT4, but on a 2.2 ton 4s?
Passenger screen - Really cool - But passengers messing annoy me :)
4 Zone climate - Who cares about the guys in the back

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Had spec’d my car umpteen times on the car Configurator to the point where my girlfriend thinks I’m playing a video game...

One thing I never spec’d for as I didn’t think it would have much impact was the Sports Sound option. Man was I wrong! The demo car I had today was almost fully-loaded and the most impressive feature was the sports sound. It really heightens the out-of-this-world insane feeling of the speed and technology.

if you can get a test drive car, try it with and without the sports sound. It quickly became a necessity for me which I didn’t expect

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Had spec’d my car umpteen times on the car Configurator to the point where my girlfriend thinks I’m playing a video game...

One thing I never spec’d for as I didn’t think it would have much impact was the Sports Sound option. Man was I wrong! The demo car I had today was almost fully-loaded and the most impressive feature was the sports sound. It really heightens the out-of-this-world insane feeling of the speed and technology.

if you can get a test drive car, try it with and without the sports sound. It quickly became a necessity for me which I didn’t expect
Yeah exactly the same here.

My initial thought was what idiot pays £300 for that option?!... and then i test drove one with it and absolutely loved it... and became that idiot :CWL:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I’m in the position where I can order what I’d call a true company car. No upfront costs, pay monthly bik ( reduced in this case) then hand car back at end of term.

Any options I have to pay full cost upfront, and in reality options make no sense as I will get nothing back. In reality can’t order a base car, so have been scouring the options and asking myself what’s a must! Conclusion I’ve come to about 10k so far which is madness really but I honestly don’t think I could run around in a standard 4s.
Have you looked at a base Turbo instead of a loaded 4S? On a lease, the Turbo isn't that much more expensive than a high spec 4S. You may still need to spec some options, but there's much more stuff as standard. Right now I'm around £150/month more for the Turbo than the 4S but with a bunch of stuff for "free", like Sport seats, full leather, metallic paint that would have been another £100/month on the 4S anyway.

JonNic

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mini John Cooper Works
Country flag

I’ve not heard one with it. I guess that’s got to be an easy Feature on Demand for Porsche to release at some point though?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Most seem to have electric charge port covers. Its not even on my list of important items. Charge cables are ugly things. Having a flap sticking out of the car whilst charging is irrelevant to me. But for many the 'coolness' makes it a must have.
the feature here is not the “flap”, or the auto open - it’s the “auto-close” when you’re done - once you own an EV - you’re charging it every day over night - and therefore you are plugging it in and uplugging it every day - given the number of times I see people driving around with the gas flap open or even the entire cap off having driven away from the pumps and not finished closing up the fueling system - it seems it’s fairly common to drive off once “unplugged” with all this stuff still open rather than closed…

and yep - I see Chevy Volts, bolt and other EV driving around all the time with their EV charge ports “open”...

the auto-close feature is well worth the cost cause it means it’s a one step process to unplug the ccar and drive away and know that everything is done - it’s a small feature, but one that you will use on a daily basis and it’s also in the grand scheme of things not that costly - and down right cheap by Porsche standards

having lived with EV’s for 7 years - the use patterns are different and an auto-close charging port cover is one of life’s little pleasures.

Porsche calls the feature in the US

”Power Charge Port Cover”

not a single one of those 3 concepts words covey the value proposition of this feature
  • Power - yeah who cares
  • Charge Port - yeah I know it’s a charge port
  • Cover - duh?
no - the name of this $640 feature should be

Auto-close when you un-plug - and you do this EVERY DAY

$640 would fly out of everyone’s wallet - cause there are way more expensive options on that list that you’ll never use every day or even once a month…

just my $0.02
Sponsored

Last edited: