Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update!

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (19.11.20!), 350GLE
Country flag
Since a charge last year in December I suddenly had range issues (4S with performance battery). While driving to one location and arriving with 40% charge left in the battery, I couldn‘t drive back the same route without charging in between.
I thought it will get better again but it didn‘t. So last month I checked while charging my car from 10% to 60%!
The charger put only 29.468kWh into the battery (50% of battery capacity). This meant that at 100% the battery would take only 60kWh instead of the 85kWh!!!
I then booked an appointment and since last Monday (15thMarch) the car is at the dealer for this and for the software update. I get regular emails from them that they are in contact with Germany and that they should do some more „test“. Looking at the APP right now I still have only 160miles at 100%! Is anybody having the same that the battery capacity is reduced?

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! 055B31D1-08F7-45F5-97C8-4BFEBA8B841E

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! B0DD8EDC-8950-4DF0-8361-DB4194AFAABE

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! FFDE3A54-0622-4C9C-A6CA-56625DD5F3B7

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! 8DEAAF7A-C795-4500-80E6-415397188EB7

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
Performance Battery without "plus" is 71 kWh net capacity. 94 miles at 60% SoC could be true depending on your driving style and heating.
I'd also try to charge from nearly zero to 100% with AC and check.

OP
OP
MarcS

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Performance Battery without "plus" is 71 kWh net capacity. 94 miles at 60% SoC could be true depending on your driving style and heating.
I'd also try to charge from nearly zero to 100% with AC and check.
I thought it is at least 84kWh. Before the incident I had 260miles range?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
In UK I don’t think that range is possible. At most I get 230(ish) on a full charge and at 85% 207 miles. I expect this to improve once it gets warmer to the dizzy highs our American friends are obtaining (270 - 290 miles).

I have the Performance Plus.

Pretty sure if you use the range checker on the Taycan website you won’t see anywhere near your 260 miles without the Performance Plus battery. Did you check that?

4S P battery, 10C, 20”, AC OFF

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! 61B726C7-51CF-44CD-B7A1-00B3974E5227

AC on

Porsche Taycan Battery capacity dropped/reduced Update! B017930E-5A14-48B4-9F86-8D59426DD88A

With P+ battery and AC off then 262 miles is potentially achievable

The checker is pretty accurate in my experience.

Sounds like a software issue (what a surprise) if none of the above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarcS

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
' View attachment 14679 In UK I don’t think that range is possible. At most I get 230(ish) on a full charge and at 85% 207 miles. I expect this to improve once it gets warmer to the dizzy highs our American friends are obtaining (270 - 290 miles).

I have the Performance Plus.

Pretty sure if you use the range checker on the Taycan website you won’t see anywhere near your 260 miles without the Performance Plus battery. Did you check that?

4S P+, 10C, 20”

The checker is pretty accurate in my experience.

Sounds like a software issue (what a surprise) if none of the above.
When I brought the car back from Germany where I picked it up I had a range of 430km driving back to the UK. This is 267miles!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Doesn’t seem “possible” if no performance battery plus and AC was not running. I’ve never seen anything like that.

Software is flaky as we all know but curious to know what your Dealer makes of it as we all are missing out on something and begs the question why spend the extra on the P+ battery to get less range than you obtained with the P.

OP
OP
MarcS

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn’t seem “possible” if no performance battery plus and AC was not running. I’ve never seen anything like that.

Software is flaky as we all know but curious to know what your Dealer makes of it as we all are missing out on something and begs the question why spend the extra on the P+ battery to get less range than you obtained with the P.
Sorry, I have the P+battery.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry, I have the P+battery.
The super low range doesn't sound quite right with the Performance Battery PLUS, especially given your charger data. What is the consumption showing when you drive? That will give you some more clarity - if the consumption is within a "normal" range, yet your actual range is really low, it would suggest an issue with the battery.

That said, I initially though I had a problem with the battery, before realising quite how much temperature and humidity affect the range of this car - even small changes cause large differences. Got the car back in July 2020, and I was getting range of 260 miles plus, but by October, even in fairly mild temperatures, with high humidity, I was down to around 210, and in the Winter 200 miles for long journeys was about the norm. However, if I was only driving short journeys (e.g. 5 miles or less a pop), then I'd imagine the range showing would plummet down to 150/160 miles, since the car expends a whole load of energy heating up the battery when you start out, and the range o'meter extrapolates that consumption out. If none of that is relevant, you should definitely get the dealer on to this, since I'd imagine they have a method of checking the battery - well they better, otherwise our battery warranties are meaningless.

OP
OP
MarcS

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The super low range doesn't sound quite right with the Performance Battery PLUS, especially given your charger data. What is the consumption showing when you drive? That will give you some more clarity - if the consumption is within a "normal" range, yet your actual range is really low, it would suggest an issue with the battery.

That said, I initially though I had a problem with the battery, before realising quite how much temperature and humidity affect the range of this car - even small changes cause large differences. Got the car back in July 2020, and I was getting range of 260 miles plus, but by October, even in fairly mild temperatures, with high humidity, I was down to around 210, and in the Winter 200 miles for long journeys was about the norm. However, if I was only driving short journeys (e.g. 5 miles or less a pop), then I'd imagine the range showing would plummet down to 150/160 miles, since the car expends a whole load of energy heating up the battery when you start out, and the range o'meter extrapolates that consumption out. If none of that is relevant, you should definitely get the dealer on to this, since I'd imagine they have a method of checking the battery - well they better, otherwise our battery warranties are meaningless.
When I picked up the car (Nov 2020) I had 260miles range. My friend had his since June last year and he had the same long range. If he wouldn't have that range, and I saw it, I would not have bought the car. In December in the cold I was still over 220 miles at 5C outside!
So at the moment I will wait to see what the dealer will say...

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
When I picked up the car (Nov 2020) I had 260miles range. My friend had his since June last year and he had the same long range. If he wouldn't have that range, and I saw it, I would not have bought the car. In December in the cold I was still over 220 miles at 5C outside!
So at the moment I will wait to see what the dealer will say...
Can you do what the above mentioned and check your consumption

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Depending on what the dealer says.

First check your invoice to see what the dealer sold you.

When you have possession of the car, run the battery down a bit. Then charge overnight to 100%. Check in My Porsche under the Porsche Charging Service and see how much electricity was consumed. It should be compatible with the Performance Plus Battery.

OP
OP
MarcS

MarcS

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on what the dealer says.

First check your invoice to see what the dealer sold you.

When you have possession of the car, run the battery down a bit. Then charge overnight to 100%. Check in My Porsche under the Porsche Charging Service and see how much electricity was consumed. It should be compatible with the Performance Plus Battery.
Thanks,
Checked invoice, yes it's P+
Obviously I can see at all times now how much its charged and what's the range. At the moment its 99% and 160miles! That's not acceptable for me and I would not even accept the car back with that range. Will see what happens over the next days...

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks,
Checked invoice, yes it's P+
Obviously I can see at all times now how much its charged and what's the range. At the moment its 99% and 160miles! That's not acceptable for me and I would not even accept the car back with that range. Will see what happens over the next days...
I doubt this is your problem as the numbers are so far out of whack, but the indicated range when you turn the car on, is not accurate as it is based on past driving history. Measuring the current put into the battery obviates this problem.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would seriously consider checking if Porsche forgot to put in the bigger battery. Might sound ridiculous but that kind of seems the case o_O
I went through the same process and demanded a full breakdown of the options the car had installed as it is impossible to tell. This confirmed I had the P+ battery. There should be a VIN tool which expands out the options but the UK one doesn’t work for Taycans...predictably.

5C - 220+ miles is what I get (consistently). AC is a killer if set to around 23C - miles disappear in a few minutes. I’ve overcome the range anxiety now and actually quite comfortable with it all.

Dealer also confirmed that they hadn’t seen any car with P+ go much beyond 220 / 230 depending on temp (so < 10C on average).
Sponsored