Battery Degradation

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
I was wondering if anyone knows the difference in battery degradation at different amperage

15 amp 120v 1.44kw
24 amp 5.7kw
32 amp 7.2kw
40 amp 9.6kw
48 amp 11.5kw
75 amp 18kw
80 amp 19.2kw
150kw DC supercharging
270kw DC supercharging

Unfortunately, I'm stuck at either 120v 1.44 kw or 24 amps with a 50 ft. extension (50amp) cord for a couple months. My dealer recommends I fast charge instead.
Saying the low charging degrades the battery faster. Can anyone confirm this?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Long story short: keeping the battery between 20-80% SOC is most likely the best bet. Constant 0-100% is not good for longevity. Also, keeping it at 100% SOC and not driven for weeks is not ideal.

Reactions: B61

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your advice is wrong. AC chargers, are gentler on the battery. 150kw not much effect. 270kw more effect. Porsche on the recent update allows you to limit the current to 200kw to preserve the battery.

The actions which have the most detrimental effects on battery health are time, heat, number of charging cycles.

OP
OP
J0EL

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
You are absolutely correct but you misunderstood me.
Im talking about the speed you charge your car.
what would the lifespan of your battery be at different charging speeds.
Supposedly, you would have 80% battery lifespan after 10,000 charges.
(300 charges per year for 10 years)
Is that the same if you only supercharge, compared to someone who charges at 80amps, compared to someone who charges at 120v 1.44kw

OP
OP
J0EL

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
I agree with you James. Dealer says otherwise. They said that the car is searching for more juice and that causes more degradation to the battery. Is there any way to confirm this? Lithium batteries are different than your regular slow charging ICE car batteries. This is the only reason Im sort of giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking around. I asked a friend who knows an electrical engineer who specifically works with lithium batteries but I have not gotten a response yet.

Joel

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
BTW, how is the battery health of long time Taycan owners? Is the battery as resistant to degradation as Tesla batteries are?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with you James. Dealer says otherwise. They said that the car is searching for more juice and that causes more degradation to the battery. Is there any way to confirm this? Lithium batteries are different than your regular slow charging ICE car batteries. This is the only reason Im sort of giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking around. I asked a friend who knows an electrical engineer who specifically works with lithium batteries but I have not gotten a response yet.

Joel
Make sure the high voltage battery is not being confused with the 12v battery.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
BTW, how is the battery health of long time Taycan owners? Is the battery as resistant to degradation as Tesla batteries are?
There isn't a history for the Taycan yet. However there is a history for Tesla, Chevy bolt and the Nissan Leaf. Number of Youtube posts on this. The Tesla and Chevy Bolt have held up well. The Nissan Leaf has not. The Tesla and Bolt have active cooling, the Leaf does not. The Taycan has active cooling. Heat kills batteries.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Spoken like a proud Tesla owner! ?

However, since the Taycan has been on sale for less than a year and a half your reference to "long time Taycan owners" is a bit of an oxymoron.

Nevertheless, the Porsche's batteries will certainly prove superior to those from Tesla! :devil:

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

Joel
Your dealer has no idea what he is talking about.
Some times I think dealers just like to make stuff up.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Spoken like a proud Tesla owner! ?

However, since the Taycan has been on sale for less than a year and a half your reference to "long time Taycan owners" is a bit of an oxymoron.

Nevertheless, the Porsche's batteries will certainly prove superior to those from Tesla! :devil:
OK I gave it away. Yes I'm a two Tesla owner. But I do have a Taycan on order!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After almost 8 years and 100K miles of Model S P85 ownership, charging at home (9 kW) to 85% almost every day, and probably < 30 SuperCharger sessions and probably < 30 100% charges, my 100% SOC range had declined from 265 miles (new) to 245 miles (according to the computer).

I'll venture an engineer's opinion and say that below 100 kW, the rate of charge is irrelevant to battery life / degredation. What will matter is SOC (keeping the battery below 85%). When you need 100%, charge to 100% just before leaving to minimize the duration the SOC is above 85%.

I'll go one step further and say that within a window of 20% - 85% the depth of charge when charging at <= 100 kW is also irrelevant (meaning no preference for discharging to 20% before charging vs. charging at 50%). So don't worry about this and do whatever is most convenient for your usage.
Sponsored