jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
Hey there, I am trying to convince my boyfriend to take the Taycan to our Yosemite trip next month.

Did the planning on My Porsche app and it actually says we would make it to the cabin, meanwhile ABRP does recommend a quick stop at Groveland. Does anyone know if any of those two apps take in consideration the elevation gain? I still plan to charge either at Groveland, or maybe even Stockton as well and charge twice because I feel my range anxiety would kick in.

Any recommendations? are there any more charges inside the Yosemite Valley? I believe Rivian has one somewhere.

Porsche Taycan Bay Area to Yosemite 00

Porsche Taycan Bay Area to Yosemite 01

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Not sure about charger availability in Yosemite but I would definitely be cautious about your charge level especially with the elevation gain. The planner doesn't do a great job compensating for the elevation and you wouldn't want to run out of power going up the mountain.

Reactions: B61

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Jennifer, the first rule of electric cars is when in doubt charge!

We don't want to read about you guys running out of juice in a later post, so I would recommend stopping for 5 or 10 and getting an extra 10% or 15% of battery as a "just in case."

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey there, I am trying to convince my boyfriend to take the Taycan to our Yosemite trip next month.

Did the planning on My Porsche app and it actually says we would make it to the cabin, meanwhile ABRP does recommend a quick stop at Groveland. Does anyone know if any of those two apps take in consideration the elevation gain? I still plan to charge either at Groveland, or maybe even Stockton as well and charge twice because I feel my range anxiety would kick in.

Any recommendations? are there any more charges inside the Yosemite Valley? I believe Rivian has one somewhere.
Did you try planning the route with the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager? I used PIRM on some long road trips (530 miles VA to MI and 820 miles VA to FL) and it was very accurate in predicting when I would arrive at each charging stop, my arrival state of charge, and the minutes required to reach the necessary state of charge for the next leg of the trip. The downside is that you have to drive in range mode so that PIRM can control consumption, e.g. by activating AC eco mode, disabling the passenger display, and sometimes reducing top speed. I believe it takes into account elevation changes. It seems very clever.

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In my experience ABRP seems to be too conservative when using the defaults for Taycan, it does take elevation into account though. So does the Porsche app best I can tell. In my experience the in car nav will be the most precise in predicting charge levels and stops (unfortunately it has a habit of picking dumb stops). Agree with being careful about availability of destination charging.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you try planning the route with the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager? I used PIRM on some long road trips (530 miles VA to MI and 820 miles VA to FL) and it was very accurate in predicting when I would arrive at each charging stop, my arrival state of charge, and the minutes required to reach the necessary state of charge for the next leg of the trip. The downside is that you have to drive in range mode so that PIRM can control consumption, e.g. by activating AC eco mode, disabling the passenger display, and sometimes reducing top speed. I believe it takes into account elevation changes. It seems very clever.
I don't think I have the PRIM, but it seems from several opinions that I should get it.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Taycan profiles in ABRP are waaaaay too conservative. I re-planned a roadtrip I did in my fat e-tron with the Taycan RWD profile in ABRP and it assumed crazy power usage with more charging breaks needed than what I did in my e-tron. And the e-tron range is terrible compared to a RWD Taycan. You have to manually adjust the parameters in ABRP to what your actual usage is like.

The in-car navigation is what I'd try, it's very accurate in my experience. Even the app is a little conservative. PIRM gives you more energy saving tips and route alternatives, but it doesn't make the in-car navigation estimates better than they already are.

Last edited:

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
You can adjust the profile in ABRP. In the settings you can modify the consumption to something closer to what you actually get (from your driving stats).

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
You can adjust the profile in ABRP. In the settings you can modify the consumption to something closer to what you actually get (from your driving stats).
While you can adjust the level road 65 mph consumption, the real problem with ABRP is the model. It's simply far too conservative for Taycan.

For what it's worth, I have a 2020 Turbo and PIRM, and I've used the app recently on a couple of longer road trips (SoCal from SF, and Death Valley from SF).

The app has been *excellent* at predicting charge levels, though still a little conservative. Now my problem with the Porsche app is that it's really bad a planning a trip from a location where you're not currently situated...

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Not sure about charger availability in Yosemite but I would definitely be cautious about your charge level especially with the elevation gain. The planner doesn't do a great job compensating for the elevation and you wouldn't want to run out of power going up the mountain.
At least with PIRM, the car does factor elevation, temperature, and road conditions into the prediction and route planning. IME it's quite good these days (it wasn't when I first got the car, though).

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll pay for the PIRM feature, sounds like it’s a must.