Be honest, how many of you have shredded your bumper on a speed bump or incline?

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Front valance - literally ever day. I have to park in an area where the driveway is very steep and even at maximum height and crawling speed front valance scrapes floor of garage on entry. I have tried angled entry, breathing in....still scrapes. There is also once junction near my home where entry road dips down before rising - will scrape maybe 20% of the time even at max height with low speed and angle. Strangely no issues with speed humps unless >50kmh. Have also scraped floor of car at low speed, max height in car park when moving from slope to a level surface. Can avoid if max height, angled approach and slow speed (<5kmh).
With software update all memories of auto height lost....
So, this is one long, wide, heavy car and in sedan form you have to be careful! Having said that, scrapes have all been in undersurface of valance, barely visible even if you crouch down and look up - it just sounds terrible.
Sponsored

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
My undertray got pretty beat up, and I did one time pull the front lip of the bumper partly off. I used the lift function all the time, but sometimes I forgot. We do have a ton of hills and uneven surfaces here so you have to be vigilant.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have a CT4 and I scraped the underside of the front a few weeks after I got it. Tried to touch it up but it was beyond that. You can't see it and now I just hit the gravel mode by my lower display to lift it when I am come upon a place where it will scrape.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
The mud flap (?) in front of the front wheels on my GTS is pretty beat up. I can see it‘s shredded. It’s slightly lower than the lowest part of the bumper. I believe that is that part that keeps scraping whenever I hear the scraping sound. I use lift whenever possible but it’ll definitely scrape at any chance it gets. My wife hates driving it.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
The car can be raised for inclines and the system will save the cords for when you return to the same spot (I think that is standard but I may be wrong). That in itself should prevent damage, although it requires you to remember to hit the "raise" button as you approach the hazard.

I keep the vehicle on the lowest setting meaning it rides VERY low. So I do still scrape bottom from time to time but as other owners point out, its not visible unless you are looking at the underside.

As for potholes, I don't think a solution has been invented, other than "drive slow or around it."

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I have the 8k carbon package, yesterday I was in front of a fast charger, while getting out, the car decided it was on a slope (it wasn’t) and when taking my foot of the brake it shot 30cms forward.
P sign was already on ?!? that was a VERY close call (like 5cm close!) to a concrete slab. Scared the shit out of me.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
To be specific it is not the bumper as it is at least 12" above the ground.

The challenge will be the the undertray and / or the front diffuser which are the closest parts of the car to the ground.

With 40,000 Taycans on the roads I don't think many have ever had occasion to replace a bumper from low ride height.
This.

I have shredded the two front air deflectors in front of the wheels. We have some scary speed bumps around and at times the automatic lift is not reacting due to too high speed ( 35 km/h instead of 30 km/h). Has happened to me and also other family members.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
To be specific it is not the bumper as it is at least 12" above the ground.

The challenge will be the the undertray and / or the front diffuser which are the closest parts of the car to the ground.

With 40,000 Taycans on the roads I don't think many have ever had occasion to replace a bumper from low ride height.
Correct… Not a mark on the bumper but I have replaced the front undertray. There was nothing so bad about it, but I just didn’t like the small hole in it from an unsighted tree stump - so I changed it…

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I opted for the standard suspension as some of the infrastructure around my berg is approx 60 years crumbling. Nevertheless, I've gotten an audible warning occasionally when egressing steeper driveways - the front camera turns on as it postulates that you may be hitting a hard surface, but <sigh> no scraping yet

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
First time Porsche owner counting down the days until its delivered, and I’ve noticed I spend a significant amount of time eyeballing every pothole, speed bump and incline in london to try and guess if it’ll take my bumper off if I tried to go down that road.

so I figured it would be fun to see how many times members of the community have wrecked their bumper.
I damaged a front spoiler. Raised front to clear kerb in hotel car park to get further forward into space. Next morning at 6am in rain front didn't raise and damaged spoiler £150 part plus painting. Surely the front should have risen to previous position??

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
One thing I’ve learned is to avoid narrow places and always take about 50cm space into account.
even if people look weird when your car is sticking out. Also don’t let yourself get rushed into accidents. Always take your time, doing manoeuvres with a zen mind :)

Last edited:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I damaged a front spoiler. Raised front to clear kerb in hotel car park to get further forward into space. Next morning at 6am in rain front didn't raise and damaged spoiler £150 part plus painting. Surely the front should have risen to previous position??
If you leave the car in lift mode, it should stay in lift mode. If you have it in a different chassis height, i.e. high, low, etc, it will all eventually settle to normal when shut down.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I have a sharp incline to my driveway. I have the automatic lift set maybe 25 ft from the driveway, but sometimes I’m driving a bit too fast and the lift doesn’t work.

I’d like to see Porsche:
- increase the speed when automatic lift doesn’t work by maybe another 10mph
- add a ‘city’ mode where the car goes into lift and stays there regardless of speed until the car is shut off. This would be handy in places like NYC where you need to dodge pot holes

This is a super handy feature, one which I use everyday. But it can be better.

By the way, once the car is in lift mode, it stays there until speed exceeds the limit. So when I back of my driveway, the car is in lift mode.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I have a sharp incline to my driveway. I have the automatic lift set maybe 25 ft from the driveway, but sometimes I’m driving a bit too fast and the lift doesn’t work.

I’d like to see Porsche:
- increase the speed when automatic lift doesn’t work by maybe another 10mph
- add a ‘city’ mode where the car goes into lift and stays there regardless of speed until the car is shut off. This would be handy in places like NYC where you need to dodge pot holes

This is a super handy feature, one which I use everyday. But it can be better.

By the way, once the car is in lift mode, it stays there until speed exceeds the limit. So when I back of my driveway, the car is in lift mode.
There should be a smart gravel mode for this reason... I could use smart gravel mode in NYC, especially on the belt parkway.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I raised the suspension on my 4S to go over speed bumps into a supermarket car park soon after I got it. Parked the front over a kerb and went shopping.
When I got back in, I selected reverse and pulled away. Unfortunately the car was resting on the front tray under the bumper because the suspension had not had a chance to return to the increased height.
It pulled a hole around the centre screw/fitting and pulled 2 others out. I managed however to screw all 3 fittings back in and had no issues over 15000 miles even at 140 mph.
At my first service they suggested a replacement if it loosened further, but were not too concerned.
I had also torn the under tray further back somehow, not the same incident and was quoted £386.00 fitted for a replacement, which seemed very reasonable.
Now have a 4S CT and given where we live in the country, am very pleased with the extra lift and the ease of selecting Gravel mode.
Sponsored