Be honest, how many of you have shredded your bumper on a speed bump or incline?

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I raised the suspension on my 4S to go over speed bumps into a supermarket car park soon after I got it. Parked the front over a kerb and went shopping.
When I got back in, I selected reverse and pulled away. Unfortunately the car was resting on the front tray under the bumper because the suspension had not had a chance to return to the increased height.
It pulled a hole around the centre screw/fitting and pulled 2 others out. I managed however to screw all 3 fittings back in and had no issues over 15000 miles even at 140 mph.
At my first service they suggested a replacement if it loosened further, but were not too concerned.
I had also torn the under tray further back somehow, not the same incident and was quoted £386.00 fitted for a replacement, which seemed very reasonable.
Now have a 4S CT and given where we live in the country, am very pleased with the extra lift and the ease of selecting Gravel mode.
but does the car stay in gravel mode once switched off? Is this a reliable way to avoid bumping into a kerb while parking? Or should I just press the lift mode so it stays in « high position » even when the car is switched off.
Sponsored

OP
OP

maximumpanda

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
na
Country flag
I have a sharp incline to my driveway. I have the automatic lift set maybe 25 ft from the driveway, but sometimes I’m driving a bit too fast and the lift doesn’t work.

I’d like to see Porsche:
- increase the speed when automatic lift doesn’t work by maybe another 10mph
- add a ‘city’ mode where the car goes into lift and stays there regardless of speed until the car is shut off. This would be handy in places like NYC where you need to dodge pot holes

This is a super handy feature, one which I use everyday. But it can be better.

By the way, once the car is in lift mode, it stays there until speed exceeds the limit. So when I back of my driveway, the car is in lift mode.
I’ve seen some users suggest making a custom driving mode which is selectable by the nob and setting it to max ride height, so that you can quickly toggle to it, or leave it in that mode when in a city.

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
It scraped my bumper and I had to get it spayed. Major bummer.
Good to hear you're a responsible bumper owner and got yours "spayed", no more unwanted bumper pregnancies! On a serious note, my vehicle prior to my '23 Taycan 4S was a 2013 Panamera and I, and my no longer good friend State Farm, spent a total of $5,000+ to replace much of the bumper front end of the Panamera 18 months ago due to those cursed precast concrete markers at the front end of parking spots throughout the US.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
but does the car stay in gravel mode once switched off? Is this a reliable way to avoid bumping into a kerb while parking? Or should I just press the lift mode so it stays in « high position » even when the car is switched off.
The car defaults to normal mode once turned off, but the memory function for normal suspension raising works, so can be used as an alternative.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's weird, I haven't personally measured either but I'd *swear* my Taycan 4S had more ground clearance than my i4 m50. Never once had an issue with the Taycan, unless I forgot it was in low or lowered.

But nornal or lift? Really not an issue at all.

ABJ

First Name
Aage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E220
Country flag
First time Porsche owner counting down the days until its delivered, and I’ve noticed I spend a significant amount of time eyeballing every pothole, speed bump and incline in london to try and guess if it’ll take my bumper off if I tried to go down that road.

so I figured it would be fun to see how many times members of the community have wrecked their bumper.
I was a bit worried for the first two days, but haven't worried since. The ground clarance is about the same on the Taycan as my previous car, a MB E-class. you only have to care about a longer overhang, but it's not a big problem.

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
Scraped a speed bump once, forgot to switch to normal from sportplus. Then, in the highest setting possible, I was navigating down a multistory car park, heard a super silent scratch from the front, parked on the side and had a thorough look at it - nothing. Good thing is, all carbon fiber parts are only carbon fiber on top, from below it’s all plastic, so even if you do scratch it sometimes - nothing to worry about, but always tell your dealer to have a look at it when you’re in for service/repairs/tire change.

P.S. My speed bump “scar”.

Porsche Taycan Be honest, how many of you have shredded your bumper on a speed bump or incline? E93DE3FC-00D4-4C93-8EE4-D81FDBEDBBCF

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
First time Porsche owner counting down the days until its delivered, and I’ve noticed I spend a significant amount of time eyeballing every pothole, speed bump and incline in london to try and guess if it’ll take my bumper off if I tried to go down that road.

so I figured it would be fun to see how many times members of the community have wrecked their bumper.
Not yet. The Taycan sedan has a bit more ground clearance than my prior car, plus there is the lift feature. I have "worried about" a given ramp but have never damaged anything.

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Anyone know if gravel mode or lift mode is higher? I also assume that combining the two doesn’t make a difference 😅
Sponsored