2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Vapourware - So many people promise the world and then like a bad bottle of champagne - no fizz once popped...

These headline grabbers mean nothing, and to do that you start to get beyond the limits of traction capability and have to start creating limitations on what it really means to achieve this...like another well known US headline grabber manufacturer likes to "tout"...

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
Vapourware - So many people promise the world and then like a bad bottle of champagne - no fizz once popped...

These headline grabbers mean nothing, and to do that you start to get beyond the limits of traction capability and have to start creating limitations on what it really means to achieve this...like another well known US headline grabber manufacturer likes to "tout"...
Aspark and Rimac already come pretty close. Certainly doesn't seem impossible for Bentley and I'm going to guess that Jag will have a similar offering when they re-launch.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
If Tesla can produce a 2sec to 100 sports sedan not sure why Bentley can’t do better when money no object?

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
If Tesla can produce a 2sec to 100 sports sedan not sure why Bentley can’t do better when money no object?
This actually makes me wonder: is 0-60 in 2s pretty much the best Tesla can do right now, or is it after cost/price was taken into consideration? The fact that Roadster is not necessarily faster than Plaid makes me lean towards the former?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I expect that at some point there will be laws that limit the amount of cars that can accelerate this quickly. Right now, there are cost factors that limit the number of cars that can do this but when the average commuter car can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less, the daily commute will become a jungle for sure.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I expect that at some point there will be laws that limit the amount of cars that can accelerate this quickly. Right now, there are cost factors that limit the number of cars that can do this but when the average commuter car can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less, the daily commute will become a jungle for sure.
Plus collision impacts will also be much higher energy due to the extra weight of batteries.
There might be a tipping point where the enthusiasm for promoting EV's green credentials becomes tempered with realisation that excessive amounts of energy get expended delivering "unnecessary" performance. Maybe an opportunity for a punitive tax based on power or performance?

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Interesting that they will add a mode to slow it down …
Interesting article thanks, but not my cup of tea. A mode to slow it down doesn’t strike me as new - isn’t that the same as having “sport” mode on by default and then switching it off?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’m not sure it’s possible. 0 to to 60 mph in 1.5 seconds! Doing the maths: A Taycan with a 3.5 second 0 to 60 will need to accelerate at about 0.81g over the 3.5 seconds. If this was 1.5 seconds you would need about 1.8g! They would need some very sticky tyres to provide 1.8g level of grip! Or maybe they will use a winch at the front🤭 would be easy to hide in the grill. . .

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Plus collision impacts will also be much higher energy due to the extra weight of batteries.
There might be a tipping point where the enthusiasm for promoting EV's green credentials becomes tempered with realisation that excessive amounts of energy get expended delivering "unnecessary" performance. Maybe an opportunity for a punitive tax based on power or performance?
I could see legal, financial and technological solutions to this eventual challenge. I remember when 6 seconds to 60 was the threshold on what was considered quick/fast. Now its more like 4 seconds. When only a very small amount of cars are capable of this, it wasnt much of an issue. It will be an issue at some point. Hopefully the OEMs come up with a solution before there is a heavy handed approach imposed upon them. Admittedly, I am part of the problem. Although I dont use the full capability of the cars I buy, I do like the fact that my daily driver is capable of unnecessary things.
Sponsored

Last edited: