louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Thanks. I tried several Allen wrenches from my tool kit, but must not have found a metric size thatbwork

I was able to do it with a metric. Thanks. A new challenge though. I’ve hooked up the 40 amp cable to my Taycan and even though the car is only at about 60% charge, the Mobile Connect unit says charging complete. It isn’t sending any electrons to the car. Any ideas?
Is the car set to “Direct Charging”? (That is: ignore the Charging Profiles)

Or is one of the Charging Profiles active?

Is a Preferred Charging Time set?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is the car set to “Direct Charging”? (That is: ignore the Charging Profiles)

Or is one of the CharGing Profiles active?

Is a Preferred Charging Time set?
Thanks! Learning everything new for the first time. That did it! Needed to select Direct Charging.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Boy.....I feel pretty dumb.
Trying to come up to speed here.
I was told (by I thought a credible source) that the ideal situation was to have a new 50-amp service terminating in my garage with a 14-50 connector.
Got very reasonable quotes......plus it looks like 1/3 the cost will be covered in rebate from my power co.....great.

Now I hear the talk of the J1772 connector in the garage.....and 'what charger to buy'.
Excuse my ignorance but.......isn't the 'charger' in the car?
My wife's Taycan is sitting sitting ready at the dealership.........with Perf. Batt. Plus, Porsche Charging dock, and Mobile charger connect.
All that said......an E. American fast station is also just down the street.

Seemed a whole lot easier to just get some gas :oops: .

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
People say "home charger" when they really mean EVSE. The car has all the smarts. In the US, the level 2 (L2) AC chargers use the J1772 connector between the car and EVSE.

Whichever EVSE you use, the "included" Porsche one, or a ChargePoint or some other brand, they all do the same thing. They act like a power cord with minimal smarts that connects between your NEMA 14-50 outlet and the car. The car has all the charging brains for L2 AC charging, so any L2 charger will work. All you pay extra for is if you want extra features like internet connectivity, multi-charger, etc...

Fast DC chargers are a different animal altogether. There's much more circuitry and a whole lot more power invloved. They also don't have anything to do with your home charger.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
People say "home charger" when they really mean EVSE. The car has all the smarts. In the US, the level 2 (L2) AC chargers use the J1772 connector between the car and EVSE.

Whichever EVSE you use, the "included" Porsche one, or a ChargePoint or some other brand, they all do the same thing. They act like a power cord with minimal smarts that connects between your NEMA 14-50 outlet and the car. The car has all the charging brains for L2 AC charging, so any L2 charger will work. All you pay extra for is if you want extra features like internet connectivity, multi-charger, etc...

Fast DC chargers are a different animal altogether. There's much more circuitry and a whole lot more power invloved. They also don't have anything to do with your home charger.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
So.......my Porsche Charging Dock the "EVSE" yes?......and it plugs into the NEMA 14-50 the electrician will put in.........and maybe the Mobile Charger Connect goes between the Dock and the car?

Or.....am I really going off in the wrong direction here?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I believe the Porsche Charging Dock is just a plastic piece that serves as a wall mount for the Mobile Charger Connect to hold the cable when not in use.

The Mobile Charger Connect plugs into the 14-50 on one side, and your car on the other. The Mobile Charger Connect is an EVSE.

*edit* looking at pictures, yes the Porsche Charging Dock is just the wall mount for the Mobile Charger Connect. There's pics of it at https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/home-charging/

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe the Porsche Charging Dock is just a plastic piece that serves as a wall mount for the Mobile Charger Connect to hold the cable when not in use.

The Mobile Charger Connect plugs into the 14-50 on one side, and your car on the other. The Mobile Charger Connect is an EVSE.

*edit* looking at pictures, yes the Porsche Charging Dock is just the wall mount for the Mobile Charger Connect. There's pics of it at https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/home-charging/
OK.....thanks again for hanging-in there w/me.
Well....it won't be the first time I paid $470. for a piece of Porsche Plastic :oops: .
Here is actually the $470. Dock....and it appears the cable (the Mobil charger Connect I assume) plugs into it?

Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US Charging doc

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can see what the Mobile Charger Connect looks like in other pictures there. The dock has an oblong hole that the charger sits in, you can see the screen and such from the charger. The dock holds the charger, provides something to loop the cable over, and a place to hold the connector.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well....it won't be the first time I paid $470. for a piece of Porsche Plastic :oops: .
Here is actually the $470. Dock....and it appears the cable (the Mobil charger Connect I assume) plugs into it?

Charging doc.jpg
Just to try to make you feel a little better what the dock gets you is 2 things.
1. A locked and water resistant container with a window to allow viewing the Porsche Connect Charger display.
2. A nice place to wind the longer cord that runs to the car with the J1772 plug on it.

I think that it's most applicable to outdoor installations, but fine anywhere.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
OK fine.
Now I am trying to understand Smart Charging, networked Level 2 chargers (EVSE's)......as my power company has a $500. Rebate for same (only $250. for dumb 'Non-Networked'........and they have a reduced rate plan for off-peak hour charging.
Porsche talks about their PHEM (Porsche Home Energy Manager) at this site.....however I'm not aware of it's U.S. avail. or cost.......or how it would fit in with the new sub panel and 14-50 outlet I have coming Porsche PHEM.

Last edited:

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Charging doc.jpg
I could use some help on this as well. It looks like the J1772 plug can plug into the charging dock. This seems like a needless hassle for me, I will be putting the “mobile charger connect” and dock in my garage. When I pull the plug out of the car before my first drive of the day, I will want to just drop the cord, but hopefully it won’t hit the floor. Does anyone have this set up in their garage? I’m wondering what the optimal placement of the outlet on the wall would be, relative to the charge port on the car, such that the plug can reach the car but won’t hit the floor when you drop it. I obviously would like to have the outlet installed before I get the car, so I’ll be ready to start charging.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
It's a "needless hassle" to hang up the cord when done charging? Do you feel the same way about the gas pump nozzle at a gas station?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Dave T once you feel the J1772 plug and see how easy it is to plug I'm hopefully you will not be bothered by returning it to the dock. It avoids any chance of dirt, grime or water from getting into the plug so it is a good idea even in a garage setting. Probably faster to plug in knowing exactly where it is and reducing chance of rolling over the handle or the cord.
Sponsored